The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old December 26, 2010, 10:03 AM   #1
treeman

Remington 7mm Rolling Block

When I reload for the 7mm Rolling Block, what pressures are safe for this rifle? Any recommendations for powder type? Can I use jacketed spitzers, or cast lead only?
Old December 27, 2010, 04:11 AM   #2
HiBC

I am sure the 7x57 loading for the Rolling Block was lower pressure than for the later bolt action rifles.
It might be that your rifle would have a proof mark.This would give an indication of what the rifle was designed to handle.From there,I would remember its a hundred years old.The Harvey Nolden section may be able to help.
The firing pin and hole need to be in good shape.
Piercing primers would not be good.
In de Haas book,"Single Shot Rifles and actions,he says the later #1 smokeless actions,such as a 7mm,were chambered in cartridges including the 303 brit,7.65 Mauser,7.62 Russian.Remember,this was in the loadings of the day.Higher pressure loads will likely find the stackup of tolerances,resulting in your case heads going out of square.
There are too many variables to give you a definitive answer.Myself,on a #1 that was sound ,I think I would not push past 30-40 krag pressures.I am not an authority,that is just an opinion.
You also might get some good info calling Hogdon or Sierra or Hornady and talking to some tech help.
Old December 27, 2010, 10:06 AM   #3
Jim Watson

I have read that ALL 7mm Rolling Blocks have excess chamber headspace by modern standards. Even pristine rifles do, so it is not just a case of worn out obsolete service rifles. Apparently Remington was working off a different blueprint than Mauser. You can allow for this by not setting the shoulders of fireformed cases back in the reloading process. I would not use anything above handbook starting loads.
Old December 27, 2010, 10:35 AM   #4
treeman

After researching some, I think I want to stay at pressures below 40,000 preferably closer to 30,000...
Problem is, I don't know how much powder, and I don't know what kind. Can I follow the regular 7mm guidelines? Most of these pressures seem high. It appears the pressures are lower with the lead bullits, but I'm not sure because they only show one powder, and it just said "reloaders powder" without a number.
If I sound totally confused, it's because I am...
Old December 27, 2010, 12:13 PM   #5
HiBC

treeman,you have the very good sense to ask good questions about safety when you are not sure.
You will likely do just fine.i think your choice of a 40,000 psi limit is reasonable based on factory offered chamberings.
Call Hogdon,ask for some tech help,and tell us what you learn.
Old December 27, 2010, 01:01 PM   #6
Scorch

FWIW, a friend of mine used to have a 7X57 rolling block. It would spit and blow gas every time it was fired. It would actually bend the cases right in front of the web. It was in good condition, but unsafe. ANY wear on the hammer nose and you will have excessive headspace. Just my opinion, you go ahead and play with it if you want.
Old December 27, 2010, 06:13 PM   #7
Dillonhelp

On the Hodgdon data center website they list a variety of starting loads under 40,000 PSI. For a plinking load, call them and ask about using IMR Trailboss powder. Trailboss will push a 140 grain bullet about 1000 fps.
http://data.hodgdon.com/cartridge_load.asp