The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old October 8, 2010, 09:31 PM   #1
frumious

Range bag for lots of pistols

I have the MidwayUSA competition range bag (the big one) and I carry about 6 pistols in it plus a stapler and sticky target dots and magazines and ears/eyes and whatnot. Each pistol is encased in its own triangular zippered soft case. Herein lies the problem. Those zippered soft cases take up too much width.

I am looking for a purpose-built range bag that will carry, oh I dunno, a dozen pistols. this will only be for range use. It will only ever exist in the trunk of my car, on the floor at the range, or in the floor of my closet. There is no need for gobs of padding; I simply need to keep the pistols off of one another while the bag is in transit.

I don't need a big central cavity in the bag for oddball shaped stuff like earmuffs...I use earplugs. I just need a bunch of zippered pockets to put guns and stuff down into...kind of like what's on the outside of the Midway bag. But I'm looking for pockets on the inside of the bag.

Also, I carry ammo in a separate container, so no worries there.

Does anybody make such a bag?

-cls
Old October 8, 2010, 10:25 PM   #2
BarryLee

You know I once bought a camera bag that had one big open compartment and came with a lot of dividers that you attached with Velcro. I do not remember the name, but try a professional camera shop or web site.
A major source of objection to a free economy is precisely that it ... gives people what they want instead of what a particular group thinks they ought to want. Underlying most arguments against the free market is a lack of belief in freedom itself.
- Milton Friedman
Old October 21, 2010, 05:34 PM   #3
brizbane

Check out TommysGunPacks. I really like their stuff.

I have a medium size range bag that is really well made and I believe they have some larger models that you can have more dividers added to.
Old October 21, 2010, 10:03 PM   #4
10-96

This is kinda late, but I wrestled with the same issue myself. Here's what I came up with... wheeled luggage. http://shop.samsonite.com/Samsonite-...Rank=salesrank

I suspect a thing or two... because I've seen a thing or two.
Old October 24, 2010, 08:34 AM   #5
Uncle Buck

I actually have two bags, one from Walmart, with the Winchester brand on it and a Nikon camera bag. I definitely prefer the camera bag over the Winchester one.

I carry my ammo, ear muffs, stapler, targets, range finder and at least three pistols. Works great for me.
Old October 24, 2010, 08:39 AM   #6
AirForceShooter

I split my load between 2 bags.
You have to pick up one bag with a dozen pistols that's going to be one heavy bag.

AFS
Old October 24, 2010, 09:13 AM   #7
t45

Check out 5.11. I have their Range bag and have plenty of room. I usually take 3-4 guns to the range but this bag has room for more. They have other styles that might fit your needs