The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old December 8, 2008, 01:49 AM   #1
countryboywithgun

help with pawn shop navy colt

I found a navy colt in 44 at a pawn shop this weekend. It was priced at 119 with pitting and a bit beat up. It had 4 balls still jammed in the cylindar. I when ahead and got it but only paid 70 for it. It is a ASM any information on them?? I am planning on taking the nipples out and using a nail or punch to drive the balls out... after spraying the inside with oil or wd40.

any help would be great

Last edited by countryboywithgun; December 8, 2008 at 11:14 PM. Reason: more accurate
Old December 8, 2008, 03:23 AM   #2
oldmaster111

ASM (Armi San Marco) is out of business but parts can be had from VTI. Instead of trying to push the balls out, try threading a screw into the open end and pulling them out. This will assure that you don't mess up the nipple threads. Soaking with a lube is good and even if you have to take the balls out in chunks, I think that would be the best way to go.
Old December 8, 2008, 07:13 AM   #3
mykeal

I see no issue with removing the nipples and driving the balls out from the back; I've done it many times with no ill effects. Use a punch, not a sharp pointed nail.

I have no idea what your gunsmithing skills are so it's difficult to provide meaningful advice without starting from scratch. Obviously the entire gun needs to be dismantled, cleaned and restored.
Old December 8, 2008, 11:06 PM   #4
countryboywithgun

non skilled but trying

I really am very new to the black powder or handgun thing altogether, about a year or so. I have never really worked on any that i have other than stripping and cleaning which this gun needs for sure.

I will try both ways of removing the balls and see which one works best for me. Thanks for the advice

i took the gun apart.. barrel and cylindar off and worked the action and it worked fine but when i put it together the hammer is very hard to pull back anyd suggestions for that ??? I will also try to find some time this week to take a pick or 2 and upload them. the catches on the cylindar definately show some wear, don't know if that is what cases the hard action

Last edited by countryboywithgun; December 8, 2008 at 11:15 PM.
Old December 9, 2008, 07:46 AM   #5
Hawg

You probably drove the wedge in too far and the cylinder is binding on the barrel. The wedge should be flush on the side opposite the screw unless you've got too much cylinder gap.
Old December 9, 2008, 12:52 PM   #6
countryboywithgun

Hawg, thanks it was pushed in far beyond flush.

also will other brand cylindars work in it as well or only ASM??

I found the screw out method of getting the balls out and yes they were full of powder but very littl the balls were more than half way down the cylindar. the whole thing is soaking in rem oil now

thanks for the help, i can't wait to take it out for a smoke party