The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old August 7, 2002, 04:15 PM   #1
AndyM

Security Six vs SPeed Six vs Service Six

Folks,

what the difference between the Ruger Security Six, the Service Six and the Speed Six? Were these made at the same time?

Are the differences a little like the differences between the current GP-100 and SP-101 series?

(Larger vs smaller frame, etc)

Also, I see some references to Highway Partrol models of Security Six pistols.
Are these functionaly any different than the regular security six models? Or do they just have some department's logo on the side?

I'm not knocking the logo mind you. that would be pretty cool. Just wondering if some departments ordered the pistols with different trigger actions or trigger spurs, etc.

thanks....

andy
Old August 7, 2002, 04:25 PM   #2
Scarborough

Well Andy I don't know a whole lot about law enforcement variations. Rule of thumb though. Security Six is adjustable sight version. Service Six has fixed sights and square butt. Speed Six round butt and fixed sights. All great guns.
Old August 7, 2002, 04:41 PM   #3
9mmepiphany

th security-six, service-six and speed six are all the same frame size. the "full dress" version is the security-six with adjustable sights and square butt, additionally it was available with a 6" barrel.

the service-six deleted the adjustable sights and was available only with the 4" and 2.75" barrels. this was also originally "tagged" as the "police service-six"

the speed-six is the service-six with a rounded butt

"highway patrol" to me means the california highway patrol and the only gun i've seen with their logo was a smith 6" m19/66. i have seen security-six model marked with departmental logos (etched) but it was only a marking without additional "fittings".
Old August 7, 2002, 06:09 PM   #4
Ala Dan
Member in memoriam

The only gun with the trademark "Highway Patrolman"
stamped on the weapon, should be Smith & Wesson's
model 28 .357 magnum. Otherwise, there would
probably be some type of copy right infingement's.

Best Wishes,
Ala Dan, N.R.A. Life Member
Old August 8, 2002, 02:47 AM   #5
FotoTomas

If I recall correctly the Speed Six also came with just the 2 3/4 inch barrel. I do not rememberfor sure.

The New Jersey State Police used Ruger Revolvers at one time IIRC.

There are many "Highway Partrols". Here in NC we have the North Carolina Highway Patrol. I remember when the Georgia State Patrol adopted the 4" S&W M66 and the GSP Badge was on the sideplate of each revolver.

None of this might mean anything however.
Old August 8, 2002, 06:30 AM   #6
Chief Jones

And there were some interim Security Sixes with fixed sights before the Service Six came out. I have one.
Old August 8, 2002, 11:09 AM   #7
9mmepiphany

foto tomas - yes the speed-six did come with a 2 3/4 " barrel (same as 2.75")
Old August 8, 2002, 07:26 PM   #8
Mag

The Highway Patrol

I think the CHP gun may have been a commemorative or some such and may have been in .38 cal as later on that is what the CHP used albeit not a Ruger (I think it was a S&W Model 68). As noted above there are a number of Highway Patrols (police agencies) but I don't know if Ruger made Security Sixes for the others or as commemoratives.
Old August 8, 2002, 07:39 PM   #9
Melvin

As an additional input,Ruger also made the Speed Six in an honest 3" bbl for some government agencys such as postal inspectors.
Melvin
Old August 9, 2002, 10:36 AM   #10
9mmepiphany

mag - yup the CHP commemorative i was talking about was a m19 w/6" barrel...roll marked and gold filled in a presentation case. the chp issueed gun was the m68...6" m66 w/ .38 cylinder, they were shooting the 110gr +p+

melvin - how interesting that .25" of barrel would make a difference to a federal agency...after all, the 2.75" model has the full lenght ejection rod. i at least understand the chamberings in 9mm and .38 s&w...damm colonials
Old August 9, 2002, 09:13 PM   #11
7th Fleet

The Security Six, Speed Six and Service Six are some of the finest and most durable revolvers ever built by any company. If you find a used one latch on to it because it should have lots of useable service life left in it.

7th
Old August 10, 2002, 08:49 PM   #12
Drakejake

At the gun show today I bought a stainless police service six with four inch barrel and big, fat, rubber, one piece grips. I paid $200 plus the usual extra charges. This was an impulse buy; I wasn't looking for one and hadn't researched prices. The seller, who had a batch of these, told me that the TCA engraved on the revolver meant Tennessee Correctional Authority. So this gun was carried by prison guards and used to shoot prisoners. Since this particular example isn't very worn from shooting, I guess it wasn't used very often to reduce the prison population of Tennessee.

The trigger is much better than that of the SP101 in 9MM which I have.

Drakejake