The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old July 26, 2015, 08:23 AM   #1
300CD

Input on CZ Canvasback?

Hi guys,

I'm looking for an O/U mostly for trap/skeet/sporting clays but also maybe some upland game birds. I've been thinking about trading my Rem 700 BDL for one since it doesn't get any use. Question is this... Would a CZ Canvasback (the discontinued one not the Gold model) be a fair trade in your opinion? The monetary value of both guns I think is pretty close... my reservation comes from reading last night that the Huglu shotguns are not reliable. Is this true? I don't want to trade a nice quality firearm for something unreliable. Any input? Thanks!
Old July 26, 2015, 10:33 AM   #2
CockNBama

Don't know about the Canvasback, I have a ringneck. It is a good gun. What reliability problem did you read about?
Old July 26, 2015, 12:46 PM   #3
300CD

I read some reports of general poor quality construction and that there are many poorly assembled guns. Some complained of weakness of parts such as the firing pin. I also read some good reports from others but am not very familiar with these shotguns so I wanted to hear some user opinions. Most info I could find seemed to be about the newer gold model.
Old July 26, 2015, 12:59 PM   #4
FITASC

They have been hit and miss but getting better. When you mentioned targets, are you talking about a few rounds before hunting season or more clays than hunting? If you are going to shoot a lot of targets, then a heavier gun designed for targets works better than a lighter field gun not intended for as heavy a use. That CZ has good customer service should issues arise.
"I believe that people have a right to decide their own destinies; people own themselves. I also believe that, in a democracy, government exists because (and only so long as) individual citizens give it a 'temporary license to exist'—in exchange for a promise that it will behave itself. In a democracy, you own the government—it doesn't own you."- Frank Zappa
Old July 26, 2015, 10:07 PM   #5
300CD

I'm looking for a shotgun primarily for clays. It will probably get limited use in the field but realistically this gun will probably go through LOTS of shells at the range so if that's somehow an issue for the canvasback that's definitely a problem.
Old July 27, 2015, 12:41 PM   #6
FITASC

You might be better just selling your 700 outright and then buying a good target level shotgun. New a Beretta can be had (O/U) for about $1700-1800. Used Berettas and Browning Citoris can be found for less. In the semi arena, Beretta makes several models, Remington 1100, Browning, etc.
"I believe that people have a right to decide their own destinies; people own themselves. I also believe that, in a democracy, government exists because (and only so long as) individual citizens give it a 'temporary license to exist'—in exchange for a promise that it will behave itself. In a democracy, you own the government—it doesn't own you."- Frank Zappa
Old October 17, 2015, 01:58 PM   #7
MJFlores

I know this is a few months old but, I regard CZ as excellent quality, and chose my CZ Woodcock Deluxe over a more expensive Beretta. I've had it for around 8 years now, and it's seen many rounds, and many bird hunts. The fit and finish is excellent, and it's still going strong. If you haven't picked one up yet, I would tell you that you can't go wrong with a CZ.
Old October 17, 2015, 04:50 PM   #8
FITASC

Glad that YOUR Turkish gun is a good one; many others have not had your luck. Field guns are lighter than target guns and just typically won't see as any shots as a target gun.

When you say "a lot of targets", you might want to clarify that. I average right at 15,000/ year - most field guns, especially cheaper ones, are not made for that.
Old October 17, 2015, 07:37 PM   #9
Dreaming100Straight

It's not just a matter of how long the gun goes without needing work or the quality of fit and finish, but a true clays gun is also heavier than a field model. That extra weight helps absorb the many rounds fired by club shooters.