The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old September 14, 2015, 10:05 AM   #1
mach1.3

Mossberg 930 12 ga. v Weatherby SA-08.

I am in the market for a synthetic stocked 12 S.A. Of these two less expensive brands---which would be a better choice. The Weatherby fits me fine. I haven't hefted the Mossberg yet but understand it comes with a tang safety like on an O.U. which I like. Any info or thoughts appreciated.
Old September 14, 2015, 10:44 AM   #2
hoghunting

Don't have any experience with the Mossberg, but my SA-08 is 4 years old and has been used all 4 seasons for dove and ducks. It has worked perfectly and nothing has been added or changed, it works just fine from the factory. I just clean it at the end of each season or when it gets wet.
Old September 14, 2015, 06:49 PM   #3
Creek Henry

What is it about duck hunters that they don't clean their guns after each hunt? It seems to be a common theme?

Which of the guns fits you better? That seems to be a key to shooting well.
Old September 14, 2015, 11:47 PM   #4
upstate81

Unless my gun gets totally soaked due to being submerged under water i dont clean until end of season. That goes for all seasons rifle and shotgun alike. Ill wipe down with some G96 thats about it
As to the guns, im not much help.
Old September 15, 2015, 05:34 AM   #5
Virginian

Quote:
What is it about duck hunters that they don't clean their guns after each hunt? It seems to be a common theme?
No it isn't, it's a common theme for certain personality types. I clean my guns after every use to the extent dictated by the action type or other factors.
Old September 16, 2015, 08:23 PM   #6
MarkCO

I would choose the SA-08 over the 930.
Old September 17, 2015, 09:38 PM   #7
johnwilliamson062

I have a 500 and really like it for a pump gun, so, of course, I bought a 930 for my semi-auto. It isn't a bad gun, but it is kind of chunky and unrefined. I just never liked the feel of it in my hands.
Old September 20, 2015, 09:47 AM   #8
redrick

I had a 12ga. synthetic stock SA-08 . I bought it for deer hunting and yes we use buckshot where I hunt . It would not shoot buckshot POA . It shot about 10 to 12 inches low . I tired different brands of buckshot and choke tubes . My gunsmith told he could bend the barrel for me , but I choose to sell it and buy my buddies SX3 .

What I did like about the SA-08 was how light it was and it was surprisingly soft shooting for a light shotgun and I was shooting buckshot . It was easy to takedown and remove the trigger group ( I had to do that because of the trigger recall ) . It was reliable from the start feeding and ejecting buckshot shells , never a jam in the short time I had it . I never tried anything in it but buckshot .

I am going to give the SA-08 another try because of how light and soft shooting it was . I just ordered a SA-08 Deluxe 20 ga. for rabbit hunting this year .