The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old April 25, 2011, 10:45 AM   #1
blarby

50 BMG

What is your favorite load ?

Bullet weight/type, charge weight/type- all info is helpful. Thank you !
Old April 25, 2011, 11:00 AM   #2
rg1

Favorite load is using surplus pulled 647 grain ball with surplus WC860 powder at 220 grains. Start at 210 grains and work up. Surplus powders do vary in burn rate and requires working up EVERY different lot. Surplus IMR 5010 start at 215 and work up to 225 grains with 643-690 grain bullets. Don't load any match loads, just use surplus components myself.
Old April 26, 2011, 05:39 PM   #3
50 shooter

If you're looking for load info just ask, guys here are willing to help out. Everyone loads differently for the bullet or app. they're using the bullet for.

If you're loading surplus a good starting point is 210 grs. of any 50 BMG powder. You can go up from there and most guys use 235 grs. of powder as a MAX but some do exceed that. You need to keep an eye on the ammo for signs of over pressure as you move up. You'll find that you'll get your best accuracy with loads between 215-220 grs.

Most popular powders are WC860 & 5010 for surplus, for match grade stuff it's H50BMG or Vhitavouri 20N29 or 24N41.
No time for rearranging.
Old April 29, 2011, 01:06 AM   #4
blarby

Specifically what I was looking for was if anyone used custom manufactured or "precision" bullets....either from major vendors or others.

If you had, what your results were, would you do it again, etc.

What you thought of the pricing for your bmg components is also great info
Old April 29, 2011, 04:22 PM   #5
50 shooter

I have used Hornady's AMAX with very good results in my AR-50, they will shoot MOA or better as long as I'm doing my part.

As for custom or off the shelf solids there are plenty out there, at most matches you'll see most guys using solids. There really isn't much difference in price between AMAX bullets and solids, they usually run about $2 each. The price will vary from where you buy them from and what type of solids you're buying.

Brass will run you from as low as .50 cents to as high as $2 each depending on if you're buying once fired surplus or new. IMI/TZZ brass is considered the best .50 BMG brass but it's almost non existant these days. About the only primer that you can find on the market is CCI 35's. There used to be a few brands but they were imported and no one seems to be importing them anymore.
No time for rearranging.