The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old January 2, 2009, 10:36 AM   #1
Waterengineer

Beretta Experts chime in - Barrel finish

What was that ungly finish I saw on a Beretta White Onyx 686, 28 ga, yesterday?

It was a dull, matte black finish that I suppose was made so fingerprints don't show.

Is this a new finish, or has it been available for a while?

In my opinion it was really ugly.
Old January 2, 2009, 02:28 PM   #2
BigJimP

If you touch a Beretta - you'll have to wash - before I let you touch one of my Brownings ....... ( sorry, couldn't resist )...( which means I already broke my new years resolution not to be a smart ass ...oh well )..

I don't know what they call their finish - but I've seen it around for awhile ( but the White Onyx is their lower end field gun ) so they're trying to keep it affordable. I saw a few of them in my local gun shop the other day for around $ 1,750 new I think.

Personally, my problem with most of the Beretta's is there is way too much drop at comb and heel - and I find the pistol grip area a little undersized to fit my hands. I don't think the barrel connection is as strong as a Browing Citori either - but hardly anyhing is. On their higher end guns / they have some great finishes - and they do make some real nice looking guns.
Old January 2, 2009, 03:16 PM   #3
zippy13

Yeah, my Beretta 682 trap combo has that dull finish. It's my understanding the finish is Beretta's proprietary version of DuPont's Teflon. It may not be as pretty as BigJimP's shiny blued Brownings; but, in the heat of shoot-off competition, when guns gets hot enough to fry eggs, they won't stick to a Beretta.
Old January 2, 2009, 03:33 PM   #4
BigJimP

Hey now, I don't touch my shiny (and lightly oiled..) Brownings with my bear greasy hands ....I wear gloves.....

Besides some of us shoot up here in the "North" where rust is more of a problem than "hot barrels" ....although I have had that problem in central Oregon in the summertime when it was 100 degrees out there...so I can see why you'd want to go with that "dull asphalt look"...especially since you're in the shootoffs a lot...
Old January 2, 2009, 04:30 PM   #5
USA123456789

my beretta 682 gold combo has the same finish. In my opinion its a great idea but if you get behind on cleaning it the gun pits easlily.

USA USA USA USA
Old January 3, 2009, 09:20 AM   #6
Waterengineer

Zippy:

I'm with Bigjim on this one Teflon belongs on a fry pan not a gun. I'll stick to wood and blued, thanks. That teflon coating is just not attractive. The guy at the skeet shoot that had this Beretta, thought he was really cool because he was the only dude with a gun (finish) like that. Yes he was a real "dude".......
Old January 3, 2009, 02:01 PM   #7
zippy13

H2OEng

I never said that I favor the asphalt look of the Teflon-type finish over a finely done blue. And, I favor the look of oiled walnut over a high gloss synthetic finish. When I got my Beretta combo, I wasn't looking for pretty but for the best bang within my budget.

IMHO, your, "I'm with Bigjim on this one Teflon belongs on a fry pan not a gun" misinterprets Jim's comment. I think we all agree, while handsome, bluing is not the optimum finish for all applications. When did the military start Parkerizing small arms? Non-blue finishes are becoming more popular in non-mil guns, specially where corrosion is problematic.

I've been a heavy perspirer all of my life. So, I've developed shooting habits that minimize unnecessary contact with the metal surfaces. I've seen other members of the sweaty palm club ugly-up their Citories (and other blued receivers) by continued careless carry. Perhaps they would have been better served by guns with differently finished metal. Unlike Jim, up in the frozen northlands, not many shoot with gloves in the SoCal sun.
Old January 4, 2009, 02:47 PM   #8
BigJimP

My "dull asphalt look finish" comment was just me being a smart ass. It was just meant as a joke ...and if it was lame or condescending to Beretta owners, my apology.

I meant what I said in my previous note in the thread - Beretta makes some nice guns. In the battle between Browning and Beretta - I favor Browning - but its primarily a fit issue / not a finish issue on the barrels.
Old January 4, 2009, 04:17 PM   #9
scotts_4x

hmm.....my beretta white onyx has blued barrels *shrug*

-Scott