The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Semi-automatics

Old October 19, 2018, 06:24 PM   #1
ADIDAS69

Can’t shake the need Model 95

So money wise and accuracy wise i went with the AR50 a few months ago. But i can’t shake whatever Prion has infected my brain forcing me to really really want the Barrett Model 95 (bul pup mag fed). The AR50 was concluded to be the superior option strictly because of price and accuracy. Armalite says their rifle is 1 MOA capable and Barrett says 2 MOA (I even called to confirm). The expense is less so the limiting factor but played a part. If i am going to pony up for the Barrett price tag I can’t abide the manufacturer only guaranteeing 2 MOA. Has anyone actually mounted a quality optic to the MODEL 95 and achieved *proper accuracy? I love the AR50 but also want the MOdel 95.

*1 MOA or better
Old October 19, 2018, 07:19 PM   #2
50 shooter

The problem most people have with the M95 is the price. For a couple grand more you could have an M82 and justify paying the extra cost to have a repeater.

What type of ammo did Barrett actually tell you that they used to test it? Most .50's are capable of MOA using match ammo and the shooter doing his part.
No time for rearranging.
Old October 20, 2018, 09:48 AM   #3
ADIDAS69

When I read on the web site they only guaranteed 2 MOA I expected that might just be referring to the M82 so I call and the woman asserted that it was for all their rifles and I asked again specifically saying the M95 and she again said 2MOA is the best they could guarantee. I use a hensoldt scope and hand loaded ammo that is the result of a lengthy OCW test and can achieve .75 MOA with my armalite. If you’ve seen MOA from an M95 I’ll put it back on the list. My bigger problem is my local shop just got in a M240 (7.62x51) semiautomatic and I “need” it.
Old October 21, 2018, 03:39 PM   #4
50 shooter

The other issue with the M95 being a repeater is that you have to stuff those long match grade bullets deep in the case so that they feed from a magazine reliably.

As you've already found out with the AR-50, those long bullets like to be seated out long for best results. Doing that in the M95 will make it a single shot and defeat the purpose of buying a repeater.

I think Barrett throws the 2 MOA thing out there so that someone buying one of their rifles doesn't come back at them with, "you promised 1 MOA or better accuracy"!

Do I think the M95 is capable of 1 MOA or better, yes. Cant promise it will happen with rounds loaded to fit into the magazine though. Probably be close as match bullets will improve your accuracy.
No time for rearranging.