The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: General Handgun Forum

Old October 28, 2018, 07:37 AM   #1
RanL

Crimson Trace laser grips and cancer (??)

I found the following warning next to a Crimson Trace laser grip on the MidwayUSA website:
"WARNING: Cancer and Reproductive Harm - https://www.P65Warnings.ca.gov."
(here's a link).
I wrote to MidwayUSA, asking why exactly that warning appears next to the CT grip, but their representative replied that she was "unaware of what specifically makes this have this warning for California customers" and that she didn't "have much information on this".
Does anyone here have an idea about this? What's supposed to be the connection between laser grips and cancer?

Last edited by Mal H; October 28, 2018 at 11:43 PM. Reason: Fix ca.gov link
Old October 28, 2018, 07:52 AM   #2
Rembrandt

Over regulated California seems to find harm in everything to some degree or another. There may be some remote scientific basis for it, but doubt its any worse of a danger than what's laying around on their city streets.
Old October 28, 2018, 11:48 PM   #3
Mal H
Staff

10 to 1 it's the word "polymer" in the description that got them all anxious about the carcinogenic grips.
Old October 29, 2018, 12:18 AM   #4
RanL

I doubt that it's a global thing--that they find harm in everything, or something like that--or that the word "polymer" got them anxious. For they didn't put a similar warning on other polymer products.
In fact, they didn't even put a similar warning on other polymer Crimson Trace laser products, such as this laser-guard.
They did put the warning the another CT laser grip for revolvers that I found on their website (here), though.
Old October 29, 2018, 10:15 AM   #5
Mal H
Staff

They may have more information on the material (polymers) used in the manufacturing of the grips than Midway does, obviously. For example, if the polymer contains butadiene, it has been on the carcinogenic list for decades. Not all polymers are carcinogenic, so you can't say it's not "polymer" that got the warning just because other listings don't have the warning.

You would get better information contacting C-T instead of Midway.
Old October 29, 2018, 04:55 PM   #6
DaleA

Quote:
You would get better information contacting C-T instead of Midway.
I think this is the best advice and will get you to the 'truth' quicker.

But if you want to read more 'discussion' about the subject there is this thread from a year ago.

https://thefiringline.com/forums/sho...cer+california
Old October 29, 2018, 08:32 PM   #7
Cosmodragoon

The same warning is on all sorts of stuff, including paracord. It may contain harmful substances but the fact is that there are harmful substances all around us. Most of us don't know and the degree to which it affects us over time is rarely noticed. It might be better to reduce our exposure to some of those things but like trans fats or even smoking in the not so distant past, what doesn't make you sick today might not be a concern for a lot of folks.
Old November 2, 2018, 04:14 PM   #8
Cosmodragoon

Thinking more about this, I think it's time for a general thread on chemical safety....
Old November 3, 2018, 03:04 PM   #9
cw308

Sorry to say , we're all going to get their but from CT grips , I don't think so . Now if your talking about the red dot on your chest then that's a different story .
Old November 3, 2018, 03:46 PM   #10
Auto5

Yes, it's true. DO NOT eat your grips.
Old November 4, 2018, 09:11 AM   #11
cw308

Auto5
Now hats funny , Do Not eat your grips . I LOL.