The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Semi-automatics

Old October 25, 2018, 02:00 PM   #26
lamarw

The .243 is a more accurate and better deer round in my opinion. I own and enjoy shooting both for plinking purposes.
Old October 25, 2018, 09:27 PM   #27
tdoyka

i've had it, in the rem m7 and bdl. the 243 is not my cup of soup. thanks anyway
Old October 26, 2018, 05:34 PM   #28
bamaranger

within its limitations

The Mini30, and its 7.62x39mm cartridge when employed as a deer/medium game rifle, must be used within certain boundaries. These are limits as to range, (and I suppose, game size) owing to the moderate nature of the cartridge, and the loose accuracy of most Mini30's. They are not beanfield, R.O.W. or clearcut/cutover hunting rifles. The Mini30, or any other rifle chambered in x39mm (I have a Ruger bolt rifle too) are 100-150 yd rifles, at their best in woodlands and thick cover. The SA nature offers a quick second shot if that matters, and most of the rifles so chambered are relatively short, light and easy to tote.

The Mini30/x39mm is not the only rifle to require such limits. The time tested 30-30 lever is in the same ball park. The 30-30 has an edge on the x39 power wise, but the x39mm is not far behind. The x39mm is arguably superior to .44 mag, and certainly .357 mag, both of the latter used successfully on medium game, both from carbine and handgun. If your hunting situation is controlled, ie ranges will be limited and game size is in the whitetail/hog class,there is no reason the Mini30 will not serve well. My biggest whitetails have been killed with the x39mm cartridge from treestands at distances of less than 50 yds. More than ample power, and the tidy, portable nature of the rifles made humping the stand up and in easier, and the rifles were easy to manage when aloft.

One must pay attention to the ammo fed x39mm rifles used on medium game. The various steel cased (some brass) import hunting ammo is very suspect in terms of repeat performance both in expansion and velocity. Anyone hunting a Mini30 needs to buy high qualitiy, USA hunting ammo, or load their own . All the US makers offer 7.62x39mm ammo with good consistancy and proven projectiles. Hornady even offers the accurate SST bullet in a steel case load in 50 rd boxes (I think). Some folks report that the PPU and S&B ammo is working for them, but I cannot speak to it.

A Mini30 is not a versatile medium game carbine, being limited by range accracy and power, but used within its constraints, can be effective enough.
Old October 26, 2018, 06:00 PM   #29
rickyrick

Whatever became of the 6.8spc mini? Are those still a thing?
Old October 29, 2018, 09:10 AM   #30
Fishbed77

Quote:
yeeaahhh, right.........
And yet you offer no factual evidence to back up your claims. I have.

That said, it seems like you came here with your mind made up on a Mini-30. Why even ask for the thoughts of others?

I hope it serves you well.
Old October 29, 2018, 11:43 AM   #31
tdoyka

Quote:
And yet you offer no factual evidence to back up your claims. I have.

That said, it seems like you came here with your mind made up on a Mini-30. Why even ask for the thoughts of others?

I hope it serves you well.
yeeaaahhhh, right.......