The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Old October 23, 2020, 10:38 AM   #1
Lavan

Georg Luger

I have GOT to ask.

Was "Georg" pronounced with a hard G at the end like "frog"

or with a soft g like we're used to with "George" Washington?

Vital need to know.
Old October 23, 2020, 10:53 AM   #2
Jim Watson

German
https://forvo.com/word/georg_luger/

American English
https://www.howtopronounce.com/georg-luger
Old October 23, 2020, 11:23 AM   #3
Lavan

I'm too dumb to use that site.
Old October 23, 2020, 11:54 AM   #4
44 AMP
Staff

Georg is the German spelling of the English "George".

A German pronounces it "Gay-org".

So should you.
Old October 23, 2020, 11:55 AM   #5
RickB

"Gay-org", as you would say "dot-org" for a web address.
Old October 23, 2020, 12:00 PM   #6
Lavan

If I say it correctly as gay-org, do I have to get pissy when guys can't say "extractor?"

Old October 23, 2020, 06:52 PM   #7
44 AMP
Staff

Who can't say "extractor"??

If its a person's name, the proper way to say it is the way the person says it. it may be spelled Cxyzling but if the person says its "Smith" then it's "Smith".

The same for place names, no matter how they are spelled the proper way to pronounce them is the way the people who live there say it.

Even if you, personally think they are wrong....
Old October 23, 2020, 07:20 PM   #8
Bart B.

Then there's the boy whose last name was spelled "Rehr" pronounced "Rear." His parents named him "Harold."

Wasn't long before kids were calling him "fuzz butt." But he was tolerant and well liked by nice kids.

In his junior year in college turning 21 years old, he obtained a court order changing his last name to Roberts.
Old October 23, 2020, 08:45 PM   #9
44 AMP
Staff

One of my friends in high school was Michael Hunt. ALWAYS MICHAEL, NEVER Mike....
when I finally figured out why he didn't like being called Mike Hunt, it made perfect sense...
Old October 24, 2020, 12:06 AM   #10
Scorch

I had two friends in high school named Ian. One of them pronounced it Eeyan, the other pronounced it Yahn. Both Americans, both right, but from different ethnic backgrounds. So pronounce it the way the person wants it pronounced. I have an uncommon name, and I have had idiots try to tell me I pronounce it wrong. Hey, it's my name, I can say it any way I want.

So, back to the OP, it's Geh-org.
Quote:
do I have to get pissy when guys can't say "extractor?"
If they mean ejector, yes.
Old October 24, 2020, 01:56 AM   #11
tangolima

I haven't met any one alive who pronounces Garand correctly. What's correct? Julian Hatcher clarified it in his notes. He worked with the man. He knew.

Correct way to pronounce Herr Luger's name can be found in the movie Sound of Music. Captain Von Trapp has the same first name.

-TL

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
Old October 24, 2020, 02:59 PM   #12
44 AMP
Staff

I found the correct way to pronounce Herr Luger's name in my first year German class, my freshman year in high school.

interestingly, the kids who were getting "D" grades in pronunciation sounded just like Austrians!
Old October 25, 2020, 01:40 AM   #13
Sevens

So it seems that while your rule sounds legit, it isn’t helping us. We should pronounce it as he pronounces it? All well and good, hard to argue.

He’s dead however. So I guess that means all the letters are silent. As Georg is also.

I’ll be here all week.
Old October 25, 2020, 03:55 AM   #14
Geezerbiker

Isn't Garand supposed to be pronounced Gair-end? One thing I've discovered over the years that pronouncing foreign words correctly often only makes the ignorant belligerent too...

Lapua is one of the ones that bugs me the most. Most pronounce it La-poo-a rather than Lap-Wa like it's supposed to be.

Perhaps I should have failed my German classes I always pronounced Herr Luger's name Gee-yorg. However it's been oh so long for me since college.

Tony
Old October 25, 2020, 04:31 AM   #15
JohnKSa
Staff

Some names have come into common usage in the U.S. gun world in mispronounced form. One can choose to be correct and have people wonder what one means, or pronounce them as they are commonly mispronounced and be readily understood.

Leupold (correctly pronounced 'loopold')
sturmgewehr (correctly pronounced 'shtoomgevair')
Garand (correctly pronounced 'gehrund')
Steyr (correctly pronounced 'shtaya')
Sako (correctly pronounced 'socko')
Lapua (correctly pronounced something like: 'lahpwa')
Kalashnikov (correctly pronounced 'kalashneekoff')
Vepr (correctly pronounced something like 'vee-ehpehd' or 'bee-ehpehd')
Walther (correctly pronounced 'vaulter')
Dragunov (correctly pronounced something like 'dragoonoff')
Brno (It's not an acronym--it's a city name correctly pronounced 'burnoh')
Mosin (correctly pronounced like 'moisten' with a completely silent 't')

Just be thankful that Česká zbrojovka chose to go by 'CZ'.
Old October 25, 2020, 05:24 AM   #16
Geezerbiker

Wouldn't Steyr end in an R sound even if it's a very soft R? I know it's been a long time since I studied German but it seems to me it would be there.

Garand (correctly pronounced 'gehrund') I would think this would only work for people who know how to pronounce gehr the German word for gun.

I learn how to pronounce Brno when I was working for Mickysoft support some years ago. I was helping a Check fellow with a font problem and I couldn't resist asking. At the time, I only knew about the gun company and didn't know it was also the name a major city there...

Tony
Old October 25, 2020, 07:46 AM   #17
JohnKSa
Staff

'R's often get dropped or at least de-emphasized--frequently at the end of words. My guess is that depending on one's accent, the 'r' would either be easy to hear, barely there, or completely absent.

In both of the examples on this page, the 'r' is either absent or very difficult to detect.
https://forvo.com/word/steyr/

'Geh' to rhyme with 'meh' or 'heh'. In a dictionary pronunciation guide, it would just be 'ge' (a hard 'g' followed by a short 'e') but getting the proper markings to do correct dictionary pronunciation guides is a pain.
Old October 25, 2020, 01:10 PM   #18
44 AMP
Staff

Quote:
Wouldn't Steyr end in an R sound even if it's a very soft R? I know it's been a long time since I studied German but it seems to me it would be there.
It would be, but Steyr is Austrian, and Austrians speak crappy German.

there is as much, possibly more regional dialect differences in other languages as there is in American English. Americans who have not traveled enough (and with their ears open) or studied the other languages can rarely tell the differences. And the same is true in reverse for non English speakers here. I'm sure our regional dialect differences must drive them nuts. Heck, it drives some of US nuts and we live here!

Even though Luger is dead there are lots of other Germans named Georg, and they say it "gay-org" In proper German the letter "e" is pronounced as "a" in English and its the "a as in hay" sound not the "ah" sound, unless at the end of a word where it can be "ah", but usually isn't .

OR its in the middle of a word without another vowel next to it... The "e" in Gewehr is the short "meh" sound. See how simple this is??

"Th" is almost always a silent or barely breathed "h" so all you hear is the "T". "ei" is always "eye" and "ie" is always a long "e" sound, unless its from Yiddish origins where they spell it stein but say it "steen"...

We do similar and more complex stuff in English, too, especially with people and place names.

How do you say "Worcester"???
The people who live there say "Wuster" (or more commonly the yankee "Wustah" )

Some folks who live there will tell you they live in Baaston, others will say Boston....

If you say it "right" you're not wrong, but you might not be understood by people who say it wrong. Say it wrong and the people who say it right will think you're an idiot, or worse...
Old October 25, 2020, 01:17 PM   #19
Jim Watson

Reminds me of a Horatio Hornblower book with a mention of Royal Navy pronunciation of French ports they were blockading.
Old October 25, 2020, 02:16 PM   #20
Geezerbiker

There once was a man from Boston that drive a shiny new Austin.. O never mind the rest isn't fit for this forum.

When I was learning German I learnt it with a Kolnish accent so I don't always speak it like the rest of the Germans do. It's all been years and I've lost most of it. If I was closer to a college, I'd audit a German class to get a refresher...

Tony
Old October 25, 2020, 04:15 PM   #21
Lavan

Entschuldigung, ich habe gefragt

Old October 25, 2020, 04:40 PM   #22
Rembrandt

German confuses me.....how is it "frankfurter" is pronounced "Hot Dog"?
Old October 25, 2020, 08:13 PM   #23
44 AMP
Staff

Quote:
German confuses me.....how is it "frankfurter" is pronounced "Hot Dog"?
The same way Pres. Kennedy was a jelly donut... (ich bin ein Berliner....)

Alles Gut, nicht Wahr??
Old October 25, 2020, 09:08 PM   #24
Geezerbiker

Kennedy's translator must have been a seriously stupid. That's something a first year German student learns early on...

I could explain about the hotdog but we're already pretty far off topic.

Tony
Old October 25, 2020, 09:14 PM   #25
JohnKSa
Staff

He apparently tried to wing that particular quote on his own without help from the translator. It was reportedly very well-accepted by the crowd who understood and were enthused with his intent and overlooked the grammatical problem.