The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old October 13, 2020, 11:56 AM   #26
TunnelRat

Micro Compacts vs Subcompacts: Which do you prefer for Concealed Carry?

I spent some time thinking about if or how the actual labels matter.

The question is what do those labels convey. From the descriptions provided so far the labels seem to try to impart some degree of concealability. The problem I’ve found is that people tend to disagree greatly about what they find easy to conceal. We have people here that won’t carry less than a Glock 17 and claim it easy to carry and others that won’t carry more than a Ruger LCP. I can point to the label and say, “It’s easy to conceal, it’s only a subcompact”, and someone will disagree strongly. Looking at some of the examples given I would almost add another “class” of pistols as I have a hard time considering the PPK and Glock 27 as the same class of firearms.

I think another factor might be what I’d call “capability”. That to me is a combination of the cartridge the firearm is chambered in as well as the capacity. Of course then there are discussions on how effective one cartridge is versus another and how much more capacity is or isn’t an advantage relative to the cartridge. Is a Glock 27 with 9 rd of 40SW the same as a Walther PPK with 6 rd of 380 ACP? In my own mind, no, even if weight and external dimensions show them as very similar.

When I choose to carry a firearm concealed, overall size isn’t the only factor. Certainly there is a limit to what I can carry without printing based on my clothing choice, but there are trades in terms of size that I’m willing to make in order to gain what I would consider more capability.

Going back to my first point, as a thought exercise I get the point of this discussion. I just question if any labels that are decided on will really have that much value given how nuanced the issue of carrying a pistol concealed seems to be, person to person.

Lastly, to a point I’d agree with wild cat about many people owning carry permits and not actually carrying. In some states obtaining a permit isn’t particularly arduous and/or comes with benefits in terms of the legality of transporting firearms or ease of a background check on firearm purchases. Someone might get a permit for just those reasons. I know people that live in “Constitutional Carry” states that still have permits just because they think it reflects well on them if they went to court for a defensive shooting. And someone having a permit doesn’t mean that person always carries. Some are much more religious, vigilant, whatever adjective you want to choose about it. Do most people with a permit not carry? Idk, but I bet a significant number don’t, at least not regularly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited by TunnelRat; October 13, 2020 at 09:32 PM.
Old October 13, 2020, 01:23 PM   #27
Aguila Blanca
Staff

Quote:
Someone how I doubt that the majority of folks who went through the trouble and expense of obtaining a Concealed Carry Permit/License do not carry a firearm.
I think this varies by locality. I live in one of the very restrictive states. About three years ago the State Police told me that in my town of about 10,000 population there are (were) 450 people with carry permits. I certainly don't know everyone in town, but I'd be willing to bet that not more than 10 percent of those 450 people carry regularly -- or at all.

The thing is that our state law makes it illegal to possess even an unloaded handgun outside of your home if you don't have a permit. That means just to be able to go to a shooting range once or twice a year you MUST have a permit, or you are committing a felony. So even casual, occasional shooters need the permit so they can legally transport a handgun to a range.
Jeepaholic
Old October 13, 2020, 04:04 PM   #28
Forte S+W

I just can't see someone going through the effort and expense involved to obtain a Concealed Carry Permit/License merely for the sake of infrequent recreational range trips, nor can I understand why anyone who may have done so fail to take advantage of the fact that they can now legally carry a firearm on their person, especially nowadays when there are so many featherweight pistols/revolvers that anyone can slip right in their pocket and practically forget that it's even there.

Honestly, I live in a "Shall Issue" State in which obtaining a Concealed Carry License is as easy as showing up at the Sheriff's Office or Court House with your ID, a $20 Bill, and filling out a bit of paperwork that the average person could practically fill out with their eyes closed, yet I never bothered to get one until a few years after I bought a gun because I really didn't see any need for one. Granted that it's legal in my state to transport firearms between properties, places of business, and shooting ranges without the need for a permit so long as the firearm is unloaded and secured while in transit, but even if one were required to take my guns to the range, I just can't see doing so if I wasn't going to frequently visit the range, and you better believe that if I went through the trouble of obtaining a permit in order to do so, then obviously I'd be taking full advantage of the permissions granted by holding one.
Old October 13, 2020, 04:42 PM   #29
TunnelRat

Micro Compacts vs Subcompacts: Which do you prefer for Concealed Carry?

If a permit is required to transport firearms and you can’t shoot on your own property then even if you aren’t going to go to a range frequently you’ll still likely want that permit. To me that’s pretty sensible. You just described a rather painless process that cost you all of $20. I can’t speak to everyone’s financial status, but compared to the cost of a firearm itself and the cost of shooting in both time and money (especially these days) that seems like a small price to pay if that was the only way to be able to shoot (I’ll add I’m not advocating for such a requirement en masse). It doesn’t seem unreasonable to me to go through that process and not carry regularly, at least it seems more reasonable than buying a firearm and not shooting it because you don’t want to spend the money on a carry permit.

At the end of the day there are a number of decisions people make that I find baffling. That doesn’t mean those decision don’t get made or that many people might make those decisions. My experience is this forum and the people that visit it are a select subset of actual gun owners. There are many, many gun owners that go through the requisite paperwork and that’s about it. They like the option of doing things, even if they don’t exercise that option.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited by TunnelRat; October 13, 2020 at 05:03 PM.
Old October 13, 2020, 06:18 PM   #30
dyl

Micro compact definition

OK how about this: can we add this into the consideration of what a micro-compact is? Assuming a person has the standard number of fingers in their normal places, A micro-compact can only fit the user's dominant middle and ring finger on the grip of the gun with a flush fit magazine. Sure, mag extension base plates can be added, but a gun like this has the potential to be a micro compact. That would include J frames with boot grip, little Kahrs, nano, pico, (no femto? you heard it here first! I bet it's in 22LR) LCP, PF9 etc.

What if you're a giant that requires a compact size for a "2 finger grip"? Well, relatively speaking, that becomes your micro-compact. Maybe this "2 finger test" gives you a relative idea of how you will be able to shoot / handle recoil / rapid strings.

I added a little hogue handall JR to my Kahr and the palm swell really speeds up sight re-acquisition. It's wider than originally intended, but I still consider it a micro compact. An extended mag will fit in my pocket but it can feel kind of pointy against my leg
Old October 13, 2020, 09:26 PM   #31
Forte S+W

Hmmm... I don't have enough experience with nearly enough Micro Compacts to be sure if that statement is universally true, but it's most certainly true of my LCP, which is why I keep the finger extension on all of my LCP Magazines, so I can get a decent two-finger grip on the pistol.

What the heck, I'll add it.
Old October 14, 2020, 07:41 AM   #32
Aguila Blanca
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by dyl
OK how about this: can we add this into the consideration of what a micro-compact is? Assuming a person has the standard number of fingers in their normal places, A micro-compact can only fit the user's dominant middle and ring finger on the grip of the gun with a flush fit magazine. Sure, mag extension base plates can be added, but a gun like this has the potential to be a micro compact. That would include J frames with boot grip, little Kahrs, nano, pico, (no femto? you heard it here first! I bet it's in 22LR) LCP, PF9 etc.
I think that's characteristic of many pistols that would be classified as subcompacts, as well. I'm thinking of the Para-Ordnance Slim Hawg, P10.45, and Warthog models, as well as the Colt Government 380, and I'm sure there are many more.
Jeepaholic
Old October 14, 2020, 09:38 AM   #33
totaldla

The PF9 I carry weighs 18oz loaded with a barrel of 3.1". According to the thread definitions it is a sub-compact. I carry it in my front pocket, rear pocket and IWB using the clip. I invested the time to master the long trigger pull and now I shoot it quite well. It always goes BANG when I pull the trigger. The PF9 is my EDC pistol for around town.

https://sites.google.com/site/hobbyh...ec-pf-9-review
Old November 1, 2020, 10:15 AM   #34
SDcarier

Mine is Kimber Micro .380
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20200828_163954.jpg (152.5 KB, 22 views)
Old November 1, 2020, 01:36 PM   #35
FITASC

I guess mine is subcompact - SIG P365
"I believe that people have a right to decide their own destinies; people own themselves. I also believe that, in a democracy, government exists because (and only so long as) individual citizens give it a 'temporary license to exist'—in exchange for a promise that it will behave itself. In a democracy, you own the government—it doesn't own you."- Frank Zappa
Old November 1, 2020, 02:10 PM   #36
Kevin Rohrer

Answer: Neither.

I don't carry mouse guns in mouse calibers. I only cary large-frame guns in adult calibers.

Caveat Emptor: Cavery Grips/AmericanGripz/Prestige Grips/Stealth Grips from Clayton, NC. He is a scammer
Old November 1, 2020, 03:18 PM   #37
KyJim

Quote:
I only cary large-frame guns in adult calibers.
I used to carry 1911s a lot but circumstances change. Some of us can't carry large-frame guns because of clothing restrictions due to work. And any caliber I carry is a proven one for stopping, even killing adults.
Old November 1, 2020, 03:58 PM   #38
TunnelRat

Quote:
I don't carry mouse guns in mouse calibers. I only cary large-frame guns in adult calibers.
A Glock 27 is a mouse gun in a non-adult caliber? Good to know I guess.
Maintain situational awareness
Old November 1, 2020, 04:14 PM   #39
rodfac

I guess by the OP's definition I carry a sub-compact...a Sig P365... I have no problems concealing it in an OWB with a shirt tail or jacket. It's 9mm, has a 10+1 capacity and I can hold groups to an inch at 10 yds, slow fire from a Weaver stance. The sights are excellent and it has been virtually 100% reliable since I bought it...~1300 rounds now.

Short of going swimming, it's no trouble to conceal...YMMv Rod

BTW, when the mood strikes me, I've also been known to CC with 3" bbl'd, Smith Model 60 .357. Either hides well. Here's my rig, shirt tail tucked in to demonstrate the gun position.

Cherish our flag, honor it, defend it in word and deed, or get the hell out. Our Bill of Rights has been paid for by heros in uniform and shall not be diluted by misguided governmental social experiments. We owe this to our children, anything less is cowardice. USAF FAC, 5th Spl Forces, Vietnam Vet '69-'73.

Last edited by rodfac; November 1, 2020 at 04:20 PM.
Old November 1, 2020, 06:11 PM   #40
Carmady

Never carried the little Astra, but I do miss it. Here it is next to a LCP.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg LCP & Astra Firecat.jpg (62.2 KB, 40 views)
Old November 1, 2020, 06:41 PM   #41
Forte S+W

Quote:
What's the difference between a "mouse caliber" and an "adult caliber" if you wouldn't mind explaining?

I'm just a little confused because the terms sort of contradict each other because mice can obviously be adult.

Furthermore, I would appreciate further clarification in regards to what is the bare minimum caliber ought to be considered "adult" and if it falls below that threshold does that make it a "child caliber" that you would consider safe for children to play with?

Sorry to ask so many questions, but alas it seems I'm just not as mature or adult as you are because I carry .380 ACP, so I guess that makes me a child, or does it make me a mouse?
Old November 1, 2020, 07:27 PM   #42
FITASC

Someone who thinks anything less that a cartridge starting with "4" is for girls and wimps..........(sarcasm in case you missed it)
"I believe that people have a right to decide their own destinies; people own themselves. I also believe that, in a democracy, government exists because (and only so long as) individual citizens give it a 'temporary license to exist'—in exchange for a promise that it will behave itself. In a democracy, you own the government—it doesn't own you."- Frank Zappa
Old November 2, 2020, 11:23 AM   #43
1911_Hardball

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forte S+W View Post
What's the difference between a "mouse caliber" and an "adult caliber" if you wouldn't mind explaining?
Everyone knows the answer to that. .50 S&W is a man's man's caliber. The .480 Ruger and .475 Linebaugh are marginal. The best you can hope for with anything less than those is that the bad guy is afraid of loud noises and the sound of multiple shots from your preferred mouse gun (.45, .40, 9mm, .38, whatever) coming at him scares him away.

(I hope the sarcasm came through there.)
Old November 3, 2020, 04:16 PM   #44
mr bolo

I use the Glock G26 sub compact / SA XD9 sub compact / East German Makarov compact
Old November 3, 2020, 05:17 PM   #45
JERRYS.

I prefer belt carry for comfort and easy to access, caliber be darned.
Old November 4, 2020, 02:42 PM   #46
dgludwig

For concealed carry, my practice is to rely on two types of handguns: one for a limited niche, "deep" cover use (pocket, ankle, belly band carry, etc.); something like a Ruger LCP, and the other for everything else (using either iwb or owb holsters); something like a Glock 19 in terms of size and weight.

When it comes to the configuration of a handgun being carried in a holster for self-defense purposes, I want one big enough to shoot "proficiently"; one reasonably powerful enough for "stopping" a threat; one having "sufficient" ammunition capacity and, of course, one that is reliable in the extreme.

For me, unless I (and I don't) want a pistol to do "everything", from being secreted in places of hiding to carrying in a holster (like the SIG 365 or the Springfield "Hell Cat"), that pretty much rules out "micro-compacts" and "subcompacts". I'd rather carry and rely on a pistol that is too big (within reason) to one that is too small (in my estimation).
Old November 4, 2020, 03:59 PM   #47
Hanshi

I own both; but when I carry it's usually from the "sub-compact" group.
Old November 5, 2020, 02:10 AM   #48
hounddog409

I prefer full size or at minimum compact.

With a quality holster, either are easily carried.
Old November 5, 2020, 02:38 PM   #49
Sigkid79

I prefer something small enough to slip into a pocket holster yet powerful enough to stop any threat in its tracks. I find 9mm to strike the perfect balance.

My 2 concealed carry weapons are the Ruger LC9s and the Sig Sauer p365.
Old November 7, 2020, 02:43 AM   #50
JDBerg

The smallest semiautomatic I have found that I can first of all, shoot well, and then secondarily, carry easily, is my Walther PPS-M2, I like to carry it with the 8 round accessory mags.