The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old December 27, 2018, 02:48 PM   #1
Dan-O

Steyr M9-A1

Alright. I have a Steyr M9-A1 in my shopping cart. Nib, $459 shipped. Steyr is offering a $50 mail in rebate.

Talk me out of clicking the “complete order” button.
Old December 27, 2018, 03:10 PM   #2
gbclarkson

You want us to talk you out of a gun purchase?

You are in the wrong forum, sir.
Old December 27, 2018, 03:16 PM   #3
ttarp

You really don't want the M9A1, swap it out with the L9A1.
Old December 27, 2018, 03:16 PM   #4
JMag1

Steyr M9-A1

Solid and underrated pistol. Go, if you like it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old December 27, 2018, 04:05 PM   #5
TBM900

I personally would opt for the L9 instead of the M9.
Also make sure you get the trap sights.

The Steyr A1 has been my primary SA pistol for many years now, highly underrated. Excellent trigger, excellent recoil control, excellent reliability, excellent in all respects.

Ive 'converted' multiple SA pistol owners (esp Glock owners) by simply handing them the pistol and a few loaded mags. Their eyes tell the story after the first mag, their smile tells even more after the second mag, and after the third most are jabbering like monkeys about how they want one.

Designed by the primary engineer behind the Glock, and implimenting the features Gaston wouldn't allow. Not the least of which is the chassis system being copied by so many others today.
Old December 27, 2018, 04:23 PM   #6
TBM900

Quote:
Originally Posted by ttarp View Post
You really don't want the M9A1, swap it out with the L9A1.
Agreed, I said the same.

Many think the L9 is a 'long slide' but it is comparable to the G19. The L9 actually has a longer barrel than the G19, but both the slide and overall length are slightly less than the G19, which is due to its internal design. The L9 also weighs just a bit less than the G19, yet has much less felt recoil and 'flip' due to Steyr magic
Old December 27, 2018, 11:01 PM   #7
Worc

$409.00 is a great price on this very underrated model.

The L model is a long slide model. The M is the medium, the C is the compact, and the S is the sub compact model. They all have different slide/barrel lengths except for the C and S which are the same. They differ in grip length with the S being shorter. It's how they compare to one another and not to other brands.

The Steyr A1's have one of the best overall striker fired triggers out of the box. The worst aspect is the reset. It's average in terms of length but, lacks in the tactile department. The trigger blade does not pivot like most others. Instead it slides in and out in a straight line. I like this style the best as it eliminates any finger pinch.

While they don't have any interchangeable grip options, I've not heard one person say the grip was not comfortable. Only one complained about the grip angle which is very similar to a Glock. Mag release and slide lock/release are all comfortable.

Some love and some hate the trapezoidal sights. I don't mind them and shoot just fine when switching back and forth with my other 3 dot set ups. I prefer the flush mount 15 round mags to the slightly extended 17's. I got three additional 15's for under $20.00 at CDNN some time ago.

Recoil and muzzle flip is very low on the A1's. It's due to a combination of a lower bore axis, balance point, and the deep position of the grip.

I have a L9-A1 and it's very + accurate. My buddy has a M40-A1 and it's exceptionally accurate. So are a couple of other M9-A1's that I've shoot. All of the examples I've shot have been at least very accurate. None, including mine has ever had a failure of any kind. My L9-A1 is pushing 9k rounds.

They don't have the most aftermarket goodies available but, I not had issues find what I want for mine. BT products is a good source.

Like any other model, they are not the end all be all. I won't talk you out of getting a very good model though.
Old December 28, 2018, 12:04 AM   #8
Dan-O

I bit the proverbial Bullet. Need another striker wonder nine like a Bullet in the head....
Old December 28, 2018, 01:51 AM   #9
10-96

I've been watching those darned things for years. One of these days, I'm going to have the money all at the right place and time and get one. I can't find a single reason not to like those lil boogers.

I suspect a thing or two... because I've seen a thing or two.
Old December 29, 2018, 01:40 PM   #10
hodaka

Good choice. I had the L and currently have the S. Like them fine but traded the L for a PPQ. The sights take a little getting use to but you will probably like them once you become accustomed. Much better triggers than Glocks.
Old December 29, 2018, 05:40 PM   #11
wild cat mccane

Despite being good, the resale will be zero. No one knows about them except for the people you are asking right now...

Also, if you didn't like the PPQ....

Oh crap. The resale comment is too late.
Old December 30, 2018, 10:16 AM   #12
RUT

>>Despite being good, the resale will be zero. No one knows about them except for the people you are asking right now...<<

Yup, I got diddly for mine when I sold it. Just managed to sell off the rest of my magazines.