The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old March 12, 2020, 04:02 PM   #1
stinkeypete

I'm thinking of a 9mm, best financial investment is...

I have not owned a 9mm in 20 years and that one I got on a trade and passed along after 5 shots. I think it was a Glock 26. Chubby tiny little thing.

Just by chance and maybe by getting good buys on quality hardware I have been able to get guns, shoot them for 10 years while keeping properly maintained, and then sell or trade them in to something else I want to learn and experience. Some stuff makes the "never sell" list, but it's an elite club.

So... all you guys are shooting 9mm. I walk in the woods often (sometimes 5 times a week) and I am thinking something small and light enough to carry easily (us old guys get fat and lazy), accurate enough to plink at tin cans at 25 yards (got to give the tin can a sporting chance), a good trigger out of the box (Because once you have a custom trigger you can hardly go back) and something that will hold it's value or appreciate over time.

My thoughts so far:

Glock 19 Gen 5 because even though I don't really like Glocks, everyone else does. Maybe give it a chance, maybe it will grow on me. I don't think it can possibly be worth less in 10 years.

CZ P10C. I like CZs. Accurate with good triggers, maybe a little heavy, but will people still want a CZ in 10 years? What makes them desirable to the general population?

Sig 365XL. I like Sigs, too. Accurate and good trigger, and already cut to mount a dot sight and I do think dot sights will be the next "thing"... prices will come way down and tin cans will suffer for it.

Anything else?

Then part of me says "Oh, just bite the bullet and buy a nice old S&W .357 or .38 with about a 4 inch pinned barrel and lug it around because it's grand and in 10 years will have more than doubled in price" except I am a wierdo and maybe revolvers are like horse drawn carriages and who wants one of those anymore except old people? I already have a 3" LCRX .38 and although I don't love it, it's growing on me. It certainly drops in to the pocket easy enough! I just wish it had a 4" barrel, because I am strange like that. Tin cans and all.

What are your thoughts?
Old March 12, 2020, 04:13 PM   #2
jmohme

I own a Glock 19 gen 3. I think it is a fine pistol and would recommend it to anyone.
Accurate enough and is a great carry gun.

I also own a couple of CZ's A 75B and a Shadow 2. I think that any CZ would hold its value better than the Glock and are overall much better pistols.

That said, for a carry gun, I will take the Glock.
Old March 12, 2020, 04:51 PM   #3
pat701

Look at a Sig P226 or P229. I carry a Sig P227 SAS Gen2 carry, it is the same size as a P229 only it is 45ACP. But once and buy right.
Old March 12, 2020, 05:05 PM   #4
Pond, James Pond

Apart from some fringe brands or discontinued classics like the Colts of old, do any mass produced guns hold their value particularly well, let alone appreciate?

Some might devalue a little less than otherwise but will probably have cost more to buy in the first place.

I’d focus more on one that’s fun/comfortable to shoot and go with that...

I’ve got a CZ. I like it. They’re getting more popular and one of the more copied designs out there...
Old March 12, 2020, 05:11 PM   #5
Jim Watson

Walther PPQ on the high side, Canik on the low end.
Old March 12, 2020, 05:52 PM   #6
Kreyzhorse

Value.... buy a Colt 9mm Gold Cup and never shoot it. EVER. It might increase in value... at some point, in a few or several years or never.

Otherwise, once you carry it and shoot it, not many guns are going to hold their value or appreciate in the up coming years. Its like buying a car.... once you buy it, it's used and you lost value.

9mm polymer guns are a dime a dozen to add to it.

Buy a well made gun, treat it well and you'll recover some of your cash. That's the best you can hope for.
Old March 12, 2020, 06:23 PM   #7
jmr40

None are a good financial investment.

I think that 20 years ago Glock had the edge in reliability and durability, but today there are a lot of good options.

Choose the gun you like and want to use NOW. Don't worry what it's going to be worth 20 years from now.

Winston Churchill
Old March 12, 2020, 06:27 PM   #8
jar

From a financial as well as sheer fun stand point get a nice early wartime P38 and change out the springs fairly regularly. As much fun to shoot one handed as a Colt SAA; squeeze trigger, rock up, rock down repeat...

Old March 12, 2020, 08:23 PM   #9
Metric

The formula for appreciation is somewhat limited production, high quality, with a devoted "cult" following that is big enough to sustain name recognition/reputation.

In the early 2000's, I acquired a HK P7m8 and a sig p210, both of which are now worth multiples of the purchase price, despite shooting.

Interestingly, Sig-Sauer has dropped the newish P210A Standard from the catalog, leaving only the much higher priced versions on the market. It is unlikely to lose its reputation any time soon, and will last forever. But they are still easy to find new on GB. Would be my current bet for a new 9mm that appreciates. They are all-steel and rather heavy.

I would not bet on anything injection molded to appreciate.
Old March 12, 2020, 08:44 PM   #10
claydoctor

I would think the obvious answer if you're looking for an investment would be the 9mm Browning Hi Power. Discontinued last year after 85 years of continuous production. Plenty of NIB examples still available.
Old March 12, 2020, 08:53 PM   #11
Rangerrich99

I don't think any polymer 9mm pistol is going to be a "good investment."

Were I thinking along your lines, I'd consider a 1911, probably either a Colt or a SA or some other higher quality 1911. A good 1911 (or Browning HP, for that matter) is going to hold its value quite a bit better than any plastic gun, IMO. Plus, you'd have a better stock trigger for those 25-yard tin can hunts.

An alloy-framed commander-length piece is pretty light as well. Mine (which happens to be a Ruger so not an investment piece) doesn't weigh much more than my S&W Shield9, IMO.
Old March 12, 2020, 10:32 PM   #12
Cheapshooter

Quote:
So... all you guys are shooting 9mm. I walk in the woods often (sometimes 5 times a week) and I am thinking something small and light enough to carry easily (us old guys get fat and lazy), accurate enough to plink at tin cans at 25 yards (got to give the tin can a sporting chance), a good trigger out of the box (Because once you have a custom trigger you can hardly go back) and something that will hold it's value or appreciate over time.
Beyond a dichotomy, more like a trichotomy.
Light, and easy to carry, and 25 yard minute of beer can accuracy can be a bit tough, and require some extraordinary skills on your part.
Then there is carry, and retain or increase value. Using, even just carrying will most likely lead to wear that will effect the value.
How was your 25 yard accuracy with the G26? If you are capable, and confident in your ability with that "tiny, chubby" Glock, but the chubby bothered you, the Sig P365 might be a good choice to check two boxes. But as an investment, probably not so much.
Cheapshooter's rules of gun ownership #1: NEVER SELL OR TRADE ANYTHING!
Old March 12, 2020, 10:43 PM   #13
wild cat mccane

I think the P365 proved all current models are more thick then needed.

I imagine the P365/Hellcat shrinking magazine will come to full size.

If that becomes true, even the more desirable guns of today vs that? I would go with the future "that."
Old March 13, 2020, 12:39 AM   #14
rc

CZ P01 with aluminum frame. You will not be disappointed like many other 9mms on the market.
Old March 13, 2020, 12:42 AM   #15
Aguila Blanca
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by stinkeypete
I am thinking something small and light enough to carry easily (us old guys get fat and lazy), accurate enough to plink at tin cans at 25 yards (got to give the tin can a sporting chance), a good trigger out of the box (Because once you have a custom trigger you can hardly go back) and something that will hold it's value or appreciate over time.
Perhaps you have heard the expression, "We do good work, fast and cheap. Pick any two."

I think your criteria are essentially mutually exclusive. You are unlikely to find a 9mm handgun that's small and light, yet has a good trigger (out of the box) and is accurate at 25 yards.

If you had to prioritize your several criteria, how would the list shape up (in descending order)?
Jeepaholic
Old March 13, 2020, 03:04 AM   #16
Brit

I have had my Glock 19 4th, Gen since they came on the market. Lots of trouble with the original mainspring. I never sell guns, so no thoughts on value down the road.
With TruGlo night sights, really accurate. Hides under a Florida shirt, or a Guyubara. A G17 spare on the offside. Federal 147g HSTs. The odd cold day, a Canadian sweater. Had a spell with a 43X, with a 15 round magazine. It is back in the safe. The SAS carried Browning Hi-Powers, with Sten Gun Ammo.
Triple taps seemed to cause cease and desist at the average distance that those triple taps were delivered, 2M? Deployed in uniform, H&K MP5s. That could be made to squeeze out triple taps as well.
Old March 13, 2020, 04:13 AM   #17
Spats McGee
Staff

stinkeypete, that's a tough wish list you've got going.
Quote:
Originally Posted by stinkeypete View Post
....So... all you guys are shooting 9mm. I walk in the woods often (sometimes 5 times a week) and I am thinking something small and light enough to carry easily (us old guys get fat and lazy), accurate enough to plink at tin cans at 25 yards (got to give the tin can a sporting chance), a good trigger out of the box (Because once you have a custom trigger you can hardly go back) and something that will hold it's value or appreciate over time.
A gun that's going to appreciate in value is probably not one that I'd want to take on walks in the woods. I will also say that if you're used to revolvers and custom triggers, none of the mid-sized polymer pistols is likely to have a trigger good enough to satisfy you.

Quote:
....Glock 19 Gen 5 because even though I don't really like Glocks, everyone else does. Maybe give it a chance, maybe it will grow on me. I don't think it can possibly be worth less in 10 years.
Glock 19s are a dime a dozen. Good, reliable guns. Will probably hold value, but not likely to appreciate. You're also not likely to just get stuck with it. There's always somebody looking for a G19. Good woods gun. Bad collector's gun.

If you can live with holding value (assuming you buy at a good price), and just keep it for a good carry gun, the mid-sized, polymer, striker-fired pistol field is crowded with good guns. M&Ps, XDs, SR9c, ... the list goes on and on. I've been very impressed with my Shield, and want to get an M&P or two. I hear that the Apex trigger does wonders for them. TBH, I have no personal experience with them.

Quote:
Sig 365XL. I like Sigs, too. Accurate and good trigger, and already cut to mount a dot sight and I do think dot sights will be the next "thing"... prices will come way down and tin cans will suffer for it.
In this class, I'll also suggest looking at:
Glock 48
4" Shield 9
Old March 13, 2020, 05:18 AM   #18
Jack19

Best financial investment?

Sig P210.

A war time P38 with all matching and from a low producing manufacturer.

An early pre-war BHP as new in the box.

And absolutely nothing polymer.
Old March 13, 2020, 08:58 AM   #19
URIT

Many of the Smith and Wesson Generation 1, 2, or 3 all-metal guns meet your requirements for resale price appreciation and lightweight enough for woodland carry, reliable, and accurate to 25 yards (cans would be pushing it but I hit 8" steel most of the time at 25 yards using my EDC - S&W Model 3953).

I focus my buying in S&W Generation 3 handguns because parts are still available for the home armorer's use, there are plenty of options available in 9mm, and many of these guns designed for police or military duty use were sold to the public and lovingly stored in sock drawers for years.

Your comment regarding the G26 grip has me thinking that a single stack 3900 or higher capacity 6900 series offering would be a good choice. There are many versions so if you get serious then invest in a Standard Catalog of Smith & Wesson 4th Edition to research possible buys. A simple chart of the all-metal S&W Gens 1-3 is here... https://www.luckygunner.com/lounge/g...omatic-models/

Some of the lightly used S&W Gen3 guns come to market at a reasonable price which should garner a respectable resale price 10 years down the road even after taking long walks in the woods with you. Limited production models can make good investments.

Last edited by URIT; March 13, 2020 at 07:25 PM.
Old March 13, 2020, 09:33 AM   #20
sigarms228

With rare exceptions firearms in general are poor investments and trying to make current picks of what will be the next in pistol for investing is risky. Consider the pistol you want an investment in protection, pride of ownership, and enjoyment of shooting.

Of course if you can get a smoking deal on a nice condition used pistol of your choice that can minimize possible depreciation over time.

IMHO you would be hard to go wrong with the Gen 5 Glock 19 if it shoots well for you.
Old March 13, 2020, 09:46 AM   #21
chuck jones

I prefer to carry a 4 inch K frame Revolver in the woods.

Either a .38 spl model 64 or, if I'm in black bear/cougar country, a .357 model 66

Either one will take care of the 2 legged varmints that pose the greatest threat, and make head shots on squirrels, rabbits, and cans
Old March 13, 2020, 10:08 AM   #22
Swifty Morgan

A Hi-Power is not a great choice at the moment, at least if you want a new one. People are trying to get double MSRP.
Old March 13, 2020, 12:06 PM   #23
cc-hangfire

If by “investment” you mean maintain value AND you’ll carry and shoot the handgun, but a used Glock 19. Bought at a decent used price, you can shoot the snot out of it and sell it for between 66% to 100% of the purchase price. And - as you say - practically everyone likes a Glock. I’ve bought and sold a few Glocks and they sell quickly. The stock Glock trigger - meh.

If by “investment” you mean appreciate in value, in my thoughts (& free advice is worth every penny you pay for it) that means a metal framed “classic” like Sig P226 or P229, High Power, CZ75B. They won’t be as light as polymer frames, and I doubt they’ll rise in value much. If it were me, again I’d buy a used one at the best deal I could find. Being discontinued, and as mentioned above, I’d guess that the High Power may appreciate in value over time and it has a SA trigger. New Cz75’s and P226’s are still being made.

Last edited by cc-hangfire; March 13, 2020 at 12:18 PM.
Old March 13, 2020, 12:14 PM   #24
Metric

A new BHP would be a great investment if you could get one anywhere close to MSRP, but the problem is that the short-term gains have already been made -- the time to buy one was a year ago or more. There are a LOT of these things out there in used condition. In the long term the price of a used one may rise, but you're playing the game of buying high and hoping to sell sky high -- sometimes that works, and sometimes not.
Old March 13, 2020, 12:51 PM   #25
T. O'Heir

No BNIB commercial hand gun will ever be a good investment.
Except maybe a BHP though. But only if you leave it sealed in the original box with all the paperwork. FN discontinued 'em in 2018. Older used BHP's are running a grand or more on the auction sites.
This one, however, is already worth more than this guy''s asking price. Keep in mind the sights are crappy and it's a real collector piece you really shouldn't be shooting.
https://www.gunsinternational.com/gu...n_id=101397779
MSRP on a Gold Cup Trophy is $1699.00USD. It'd take eons for one to gain in value. A Match grade 9mm is a waste of time and money anyway. There are no 9mm Match bullets.
Whoever 'chromed' (or whatever that finish is) that P-38 also destroyed any collector value. A war time vintage P38 in good or better condition is worth $850 and up, but not with the chrome.
"...I don't really like Glocks..." Don't buy stuff you just don't like. For any reason.
"...with Sten Gun Ammo..." There's no such thing. 9mm NATO Ball ammo is considered to be +P though.