The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old August 2, 2018, 09:07 AM   #1
gunsmithalot

IWB Choice Question.

Hello to all, I am a concealed carrier and have been carrying a Glock 19 in various generations since around 1990. I have used quite a few IWB type holsters from soft material to kydex all with single type belt clip. I see the trend seems to be going towards the hybrid type holsters like the Crossbreed and Galco King Tuck. As I do carry a few extra pounds and have had the top of my slide digging into my gut long enough while sitting, I tend to carry just behind the point of my hip slightly to the rear, right side. I am looking for guidance and recommendations from experienced users as to what is more comfortable as well as secure. Thank you in advance for your input.
Old August 2, 2018, 09:31 AM   #2
Hoppy

I've been carrying for about 20 years. Never had a holster I was completely happy with until I made my own. I was looking for ease of use, minimalist style, comfort, ease of draw and reholstering, and retention.

My holsters are minimalist style IWB made of .080 kydex. The cant and ride height is custom. The retention is set when making the holster. The holster was good when I first made it but I didn't like how it moved around when walking/working, etc.. That changed when I glued suede onto the back. It adds some 'grip' as well as some comfort. I carry at 3 o'clock.

Also, one thing I changed was that I always wear an undershirt now, even in summer. There is a t shirt tucked in, then the holster, then a t shirt or other shirt over.

Here's my holster for my Glock 26. I don't make holsters as a business. To replicate this setup, a PJ Holster with suede glued on would come close.

Old August 2, 2018, 09:41 AM   #3
gunsmithalot

Nice work and thank you for the input.
Old August 2, 2018, 05:43 PM   #4
spacemanspiff

My favorite holster was a sharkskin made by Rafter S Gunleather, which sadly is not in business anymore. I have yet to find a suitable replacement, as it completely covered any part that would dig into my soft tissue.

Currently I am using the holster I originally bought when I started carrying a 1911, its a tuckable IWB from High Noon. It rides very low, but the hammer does dig a little bit at my fattier spots of my waist.

I would recommend wearing an undershirt, something breathable and light, like an Underarmor compression shirt.

Tuckable IWB holsters give a bit more flexibility with wardrobe. A dress shirt can be tucked around it and it isn't noticeable.

My holster drawer is full of holsters ive bought over the years and tried out.
Old August 3, 2018, 08:38 AM   #5
Wag

I'm a huge fan of the belly bands by Galco. Pretty much works on any concealable pistol. Can't say enough good about it. There are some downsides, but those are minimal.

--Wag--
Old August 3, 2018, 08:58 AM   #6
Spats McGee
Staff

My favorite IWB is the Stealthgear Revolution. I carried a G19 in a Crossbreed Supertuck for several years, but the SGR is significantly lighter and cooler (temperature-wise).
Old August 4, 2018, 11:08 PM   #7
Polinese

I use the king tuck for a 1911, full and officer size. Love it. Can adjust the cant, tuck your shirt, and is the most comfortable holster I've used. Granted I've not been carrying as long as other members here. Seems/Feels very wide but is very comfortable once everything is in place. Good retention, it's never gonna fall out if you tumble down the stairs, but isn't so tight that it's an effort to draw the weapon.
Old August 8, 2018, 08:40 AM   #8
gunsmithalot

Thanks to all, I've narrowed it down to the Kingtuck and the Revolution, payday is near and I'm gonna spring for something!
Old August 8, 2018, 08:48 PM   #9
longshank

N82 conceals my 1911 in both full-size 5” Dan Wesson Valor as well as Ed Brown Executive Carry bobtail. Have a 5 gallon bucket of holsters didn’t like until the N82. Nothing like it....
Old August 8, 2018, 09:38 PM   #10
FITASC

Quote:
There is a t shirt tucked in, then the holster, then a t shirt or other shirt over.
That may work well in MA, but if you wore that much clothing here in FL in the summer, you would resort to pocket carry REAL fast.......
"I believe that people have a right to decide their own destinies; people own themselves. I also believe that, in a democracy, government exists because (and only so long as) individual citizens give it a 'temporary license to exist'—in exchange for a promise that it will behave itself. In a democracy, you own the government—it doesn't own you."- Frank Zappa
Old August 8, 2018, 10:26 PM   #11
JERRYS.

if your gun digs into you IWB you either need to move the location of the gun, get a descent holster, get bigger pants, or lose weight. maybe a combination of those.... but IWB aint the kind of deal where you can just stick a gun in your pants and be ok as is.
Old August 9, 2018, 08:31 AM   #12
gunsmithalot

Thanks again to all, N82 is interesting especially the Professional, have a friend with one and he loves it. The security feature seems easy to manipulate with practice.
Old August 9, 2018, 05:57 PM   #13
Rangerrich99

If all-day comfort is primary over absolute speed, especially if you're like me and dislike having your gun poke you in the side/gut when seated, then I can't recommend any holster more than an N82 Tactical. That holster actually completely protects you from the gun with a neoprene 'shield' and a suede backer against your skin. I've taken dozens of naps while wearing my N82, both lying down and seated. It's been my usual EDC holster for the last ten years or so.

Another very comfortable holster that I've recently picked up is from StealthGear. Looks similar to a King Tuck or a Crossbreed, but uses a breathable synthetic backer instead of leather. I can't think of a way to describe the material other than the cloth seats in my TRD. Kind of a micro waffle design with some padding thrown in. Very cool to wear and slightly lower profile than my N82.

Another nice thing about both of these holsters is that they are machine washable.
Old August 9, 2018, 08:08 PM   #14
CLYA

Thanks to the last reply, I just sent away for the N82 Tactical. Will be the Sig 238/Colt Mustang size.
Old August 9, 2018, 08:19 PM   #15
Nathan

Look up the Raw Dog Tactical IWB. That is one of my favorite kydex IWB holsters. Give it a try. It is a can’t miss for the price. At that price, it is still an edc holster.

LINK