The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old February 24, 2011, 11:15 PM   #1
LDSGJA

Beeping Safes

So, last night there was a loud crash, 99% chance it was my cat (and it was); but nevertheless I got over to the safe:

SAFE: BEEP, BEEP, BEEP, BEEP, BEEP.
WIFE (Sleepy): what are you doing? What's going on? "What happened?"

So after this noisy and fumbling failure, I decided to fix the beeping!

My safe was only $140 shipped, so this might be harder on expensive fire safes

^^^^Pliers bending off the speaker

^^^^^Removed Speaker

Back to normal, but silent buttons!

A lot of forum members don't keep their HD weapon in a safe, but I do for my own reasons and now I can get to it without the loud beeping found on almost every digital safe.
Old February 25, 2011, 12:27 AM   #2
Shootin Chef

While reading and seeing only the first picture, I figured you fixed it by just leaving it open. Silly me

It is kinda a design flaw to put key tones on a gun safe though, although I guess it might let you know if the kids are playing with it.
Old February 25, 2011, 08:57 AM   #3
Theophilus

A lot of the small safes allow you to choose whether you want the buttons to beep or not. Which is good, because I doubt I could have figured out the electronics involved in what you just did. I bought a Stack-On ps-514 and just programmed the beeps away!
Old February 25, 2011, 09:53 AM   #4
The Great Mahoo

Did you de-solder the piezo or just rip it off with those pliers? Just curious.

I ought to remove mine, but I guess I'm just too lazy. Its a short combination, and I figure I can get it open before anyone can respond to unidentified beeps.
Old February 25, 2011, 12:13 PM   #5
Jeff F

Probably a dumb question, I don't own a digital safe. I can understand not wanting it to beep when pressing the buttons but isn't it also supposed to beep when the battery gets low. Is the battery on the outside or is there a way to open it if the keypad dies.
Old February 25, 2011, 12:21 PM   #6
C Philip

I did the same thing with mine. You just have to rip off the piezo, no need to solder anything. I twisted it back and forth gently with pliers until it came off, no damage. My safe flashes a led when the battery is low, so no need for an audible warning too. A lot of digital safes also have a back up key for if the battery dies.
Old February 25, 2011, 12:37 PM   #7
a1abdj

A little super glue in that little hole will also reduce the noise a lot. You also don't have to worry about damaging the circuit board.

The beeping is actually useful. Lets you know that a button has been pressed and accepted as input, lets you know when the batteries are running low, and other important aspects of diagnosing the lock in the event of a lock out.
Old February 25, 2011, 12:42 PM   #8
2Old2Change

Where did you find a safe like that for $140??
Old February 25, 2011, 02:05 PM   #9
jhenry

I need to add another safe. It's not that I have too many guns (heaven forbid the thought), it is just that I do not currently have enough safe. I would also like to know where to obtain a safe like that one for 140 dollars. PM me if you like please.
Old February 25, 2011, 04:05 PM   #10
LDSGJA

Looking at my receipt I actually paid $149.99 with free shipping, but the price has increased to $160 now, still a good deal.

Just keep in mind its not a super-strong fire safe or anything so make sure your homeowners insurance protects your valuables.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000GB0KA8

Like said, I just ripped the little speaker out. There is a key hole hidden underneath a little plastic circle on the handle that can be used for if the batteries die. B/C of the flashing LEDs on the keypad, beeps really aren't needed in this case - although I can see the usefulness.
Old February 25, 2011, 05:56 PM   #11
Dr. Strangelove

LOL, do you always keep your cat in the safe?

I can see a burglar now - Ahh, I've finally pried open this... What? OH NO! arrrgh....
Old February 25, 2011, 07:49 PM   #12
ethan95

To the fellas above, you can get some pretty nice safes for a decent price used. Check around your area for some safe stores.

My liberty safe with an electronic lock beeps as well, I think there's a way to turn it of though. Thanks for posting this thread, having a very loud buzzer on a safe isn't very "stealthy".