The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old February 22, 2011, 02:42 PM   #1
Tactical Jackalope

Tac light or Night sights?

Alright guys...

Night sights on my Glock 27 that's a carry when deep concealment necessary?

Or

Tactical Light for my XD45 that's for home defense? It's going to be a TLR-1 and I'm getting a LE/Military discount on it either one.

I know I'm getting both eventually. But which one first? I'm talking this week.

Thanks in advance
Old February 22, 2011, 04:47 PM   #2
bravo124

That's a tough one Constantine. Do you carry your 27 all the time? If so, then I would do the night sights. I carry the TLR-1S for duty and love it. It lights up the whole area.
Old February 22, 2011, 05:12 PM   #3
Onward Allusion

TLR-1 first. A weapon mounted light along with a handheld light is invaluable for HD/SD.

Night sights on a CC weapon is kind of counter intuitive IMO because odds are you'll be point shooting at close range. Sure, I wouldn't mind having night sights on a CC gun, but a light on the HD/SD gun is more important.

Update 2.23.11 11.45AM
Note that I'm looking at night sights from a civilian's point of view. For a LEO, night sights can be invaluable. LEO's are going to have to aim/shoot further away and in low light conditions. Sights come into play in those circumstances. I don't think many civilians will be shooting in low light conditions at someone 25 yards away very often.

Last edited by Onward Allusion; February 23, 2011 at 12:45 PM. Reason: Clarification on night sights on CC weapon
Old February 22, 2011, 05:18 PM   #4
skydiver3346

Tactical light:

The TLR-1 is a great tactical light for your home defense gun. Plus, I just put a Crimson Trace laser on my Glock 19 (along with the TLR-1 light) and the combination is just plain scary good. I didn't think they would go that good togeter and/or it would not show the laser as well when the tactical light is on but the Crimson Trace works superb on this set up. Now I can handle most any lighting situation and still be dead on accurate when and if you need to fire your pistol in a self defense situation.
Old February 22, 2011, 09:50 PM   #5
ClydeFrog

Night sights on carry/duty pistols...

In my opine, all regular carry or duty type pistols should get high quality night sights, like the no-snag bright Novak models.
LE research states that 80-85% of all use of force incidents take place in low light.
Laser aiming units or tactical lights can help a lot too but a good set of night sights should be a regular add-on.

Clyde
Old February 24, 2011, 01:19 AM   #6
Tactical Jackalope

bravo124, I carry all my guns frequently...with an exception of my high-power and Model 19 S&W. which brings me to my next question...any holsters for an XD45 w/ a tac light?

Onward Allusion, thank you for your input. Much appreciated, I'm pretty sure I'm getting my TLR-1 tomorrow morning. I will post pics. No worries!

Skydiver3346, that's a pretty awesome setup...Not gonna lie. Sounds really good. Pic? Please? Friend?

ClydeFrog, thank you also for your input it went into consideration. I will get night sights on my CC Glock 27 and I also need new night sights on my Glock 22.....They're ancient.
Old February 24, 2011, 12:44 PM   #7
Tactical Jackalope

All done. TLR-1 and a Fenix 180 lumen for carry with the other pistols thanks guys
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ImageUploadedByTapatalk1298569380.730206.jpg (223.9 KB, 51 views)
Old February 24, 2011, 03:43 PM   #8
The Great Mahoo

Looking good!