The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old January 21, 2011, 07:44 PM   #1
JiminTexas

The unsung shooting accessory

It's body armor. Yeah, you lnow bulletproof vest, kevlar ceramic plates, stuff like that. How many of you actually own one? How many of you just poo poo the idea as paranoid? How many of you blandly, or should I say blindly, go to a public range that you know for a fact has on site at least two or three armed novice shooters, some without any supervision? I for one ordered one just yesterday after an incident at a police range. Yes, I said a police range that is restricted to LEO's and pre-approved invited guests. Thank God no one got shot but the young son of a senior police official was sure red faced after the accidental discharge of a .357 Mag. Our department is probably the last one in the country (world?) to supply or require body armor on duty. As of right now it is optional. I am going to elect that option in just a couple of days when my new concealable level IIIA vest arrives, and yes I will wear it to the range as well. it cost me a bundle, but the peace of mind is priceless.
Old January 22, 2011, 08:57 AM   #2
PawPaw

I often wear my vest during annual re-quals. Over the years I've seen things on the firing line that make me wonder about my brethren.

During quals last year, one guy parked his pickup behind the firing line and after the day's shooting, found a bullet hole in his tailgate. We were on the line all day, firing pistol, rifle and shotgun, and this hole looked like a .223. We recorded no unsafe acts, everything went as planned, yet inexplicably there was a fresh hole in this guy's pickup truck.

All we can figure is that a ricochet whistled through the line, across the range shed, and into the tail gate of the truck.

Body armor isn't a bad idea on an active line.

http://pawpawshouse.blogspot.com
Old January 22, 2011, 12:46 PM   #3
gimike

+1 After some of the idiotic things I've seen, I might start wearing protective equipment at the driving range as well.
Old January 22, 2011, 09:50 PM   #4
Kreyzhorse

Wearing armor to a gun range does seem a bit paranoid but accidents do happen. I'd never go that route, but I will admit that at the first sign of an uncontrolled shooter, I'll pack up and leave the range.

In fact, the last time I was at an indoor public range I over heard an officer telling a recruit that she was doing great but she needed to focus on hitting the far wall. A couple of mags later he told her good job that she hit the far wall a few times. Wondering where the other shots were going, I packed up and got the hell out of there ASAP.
Old January 31, 2011, 01:32 AM   #5
racine

Tools of the Trade

Maybe for LEOs I'd say yes. For us regular Joes, that would be eye/ear protection. I would not enjoy shooting as much lugging 25-25 lbs of kevlar around while I shot. Although we do take shrapnel and ricochets I shoot mostly at ranges where rules are enforced strictly.
Old January 31, 2011, 09:09 PM   #6
drail

At a LEO only range, sure. Better yet, stay away from those places. If you really want to see some scary gun handling watch cops handle their weapons. I say this because I used to train and work with some local and state cops as an NRA instructor some years ago. You have to see it to believe it. I'm not bashing here. It's not their fault. They were just so poorly trained and disciplined because the administrators wouldn't spend the money to do it right.
Old February 1, 2011, 12:18 AM   #7
Dr. Strangelove

Yep, I joined a private range for just for that reason. I saw too many folks (I won't say idiots, just inexperienced) who refused to learn/follow standard safety practices.

Still, I'll take guests and have to constantly watch them for muzzle discipline, not touching firearms when folks are downrange, actions open when not on the firing line, etc.

My own brother handed me an SKS to put back in its' case, you should have seen his face when I pulled the bolt back and a live cartridge was ejected.

It's just amazing how many folks don't take the few extra seconds to ensure safety.

Remember, a second or two to ensure safety prevents a lifetime of regret...

Additionally, my private range is now considering limiting membership to 375 members, not because of overcrowding, but because of safety complaints and damage to the ranges caused by folks damaging club property.
Old February 1, 2011, 12:56 PM   #8
JerryM

{ How many of you actually own one? How many of you just poo poo the idea as paranoid? }

I think it is paranoid.

Regards,
Jerry
Ecclesiastes 12:13  ¶Let us hear the conclusion of the whole matter: Fear God, and keep his commandments: for this is the whole duty of man.
14  For God shall bring every work into judgment, with every secret thing, whether it be good, or whether it be evil.
Old February 1, 2011, 02:01 PM   #9
bluetopper

I think quite a few mall ninjas wear bullet proof vests every time they leave the house.
Old March 1, 2011, 09:58 PM   #10
DougNew

Body armor occupies a strange grey area for non-LEO's. Many places won't sell to civilians.

Some will (the Internet is a big place), but for the most part, you're buying with a lot less information and guidance than available for purchasing a gun.
Old March 1, 2011, 10:34 PM   #11
AK103K

Ive belonged to a number of ranges over the years, indoors and out, and I cant think of one that didnt have "a lot" of bullet holes in the benches, dividers, ceilings, and divots out of the concrete floors and block/concrete walls.

I actually usually feel better if the range is run hot, than one thats not. Those people with "unloaded" guns make me nervous, and they are the ones that tend to make me wear mine.