The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old February 17, 2011, 03:53 AM   #1
credx2

What goes to the range with you?

I am getting ready for a range day tomorrow and sat down and made a list of things that need to go to the range with me. My range is an hour away and often as not I forget something that I needed or wish I had with me.

I usually shoot bulls eye but do some rifle and tactical shooting. For now I'll stick to the pistol range. (I didn’t forget holsters, mag pouches, speed loaders and 2x2 pouches I just don’t need them on the bulls eye range but feel free to expound for your preferred sport. I’m sure there is a lot of crossover.

I’d be interested is seeing if there is anything I missed or any interesting ideas out there. My bag is too full and too heavy but I go for the whole day so I would rather deal with the weight and the bulk than be missing something I wish I had. All this actually packs into a converted Pelican case (Guns ammo and scope) and a nylon bag,

If this is a new version of an old post apologies up front.

Guns
Magazines
Ammunition
Shooting Glasses

Optical Aperture (that front sight is getting a little hard to define these days… not ready for a red dot yet)

Hearing Protection (electronic and foam earplugs)

Cotton liners (cut from old t-shirts to go between the plastic ear cups and the side of my head)

Target Frame
Masking tape for windy days
Spring clamps for attaching backer to frame
Stapler
Staples
Targets

Bench Mat
(I use the rubberized non-slip mesh you put under throw rugs.) It covers the whole bench, protects the gun from the bench, keeps things from sliding around and the little pockets catch any small parts, screws, screwdriver bits etc from rolling off the bench)

Spotting Scope

Brass Catcher
(K-mart $3.99 fishing net mounted on a broom stick with a plywood base) I see fancier but none more useful

Gun Oil and Breakfree
Cleaning Kit
Tools (screwdrivers, picks (nylon and metal), Leatherman)
Rags

Gun Case with locks and keys (I forgot the darn keys once…Leatherman bailed me out of that one)

Towel
Water
Small First Aid
Sighting Record Sheets
(I devised these sheets with 5 small bulls eyes per page to plot bullet strikes when I'm testing ammunition. I place a dot on the small bulls eye corresponding to the bullet strike on the target. There are information lines for data like: Date, Distance, gun, load i.e. powder, bullet, primer etc. and any other details I think are pertinent. I keep them in plastic three ring sleeves in a binder so I have an organized reference for what I have tried and what has worked best for each gun.)

Note Pad
(I always meet someone new with a lead on guns, ammo, equipment, a tip, useful website or just someone’s first name that was pleasant to talk to on the range that I would like to remember the next time I see them)

Pen/Pencil

My range is covered but otherwise I would have sunscreen and a hat

Other than guns and ammo most of this stays in the bags but I inventory it anyway before I leave the house just in case. Getting to the range only to find the staple box is empty is exacerbating.

Cheers
Old February 17, 2011, 07:40 AM   #2
DiscoRacing

Seems like a long list... but after looking it over... that is nearly the same as what I take when I go... but my shooting bag... is my car...my equipment for the range is always there...nothing left behind that way....All my targets, staples, sandbags, ammo, toos, lube, lead bullet box(for keeping once fired bullets)...(boolits if I C H reads this)bag for once fired brass, glasses, muffs...that is always in my car.... I like my Range Car.
Old February 17, 2011, 09:46 AM   #3
fivepaknh

gun(s) w/mags
ammo
eye pro
ear pro
targets
stapler
extra staples
black and white pasties to cover holes (get more use from a target)
spotting scope
small screw driver
CLP
clear chamber indicator
occasionally a gun rest

Most of it fits in a small range bag.
Old February 17, 2011, 10:04 AM   #4
smoakingun

add to that list a chamber flag and some gear to clean my scope(they don't make a front sight big enough for me to see clealy) and my list is complete
Hundreds of years from now, it will not matter what my bank account was, the sort of house I lived in, or the kind of car I drove... But the world may be different because I did something so bafflingly crazy that my ruins become a tourist attraction.
Old February 17, 2011, 11:00 AM   #5
aarondhgraham

What about food?

I have a big tackle box,,,
I keep all my tools and cleaning stuff in it,,,
As well as ammo, spotting scope, targets, and junk.

I rarely need anything from it,,,
But it's there just in case.

In the summer lots of people in my Rifle & Pistol club make a picnic day out of it,,,
There is a large meadow area and it not uncommon to see people grilling,,,
you also see a lot of the screened gazebo type of tents.

People do a bit of shooting,,,
Then relax a bit and swap lies about why they missed,,,
Then go back to the line and use up a couple more miss alibis.

This is a great Sunday to me,,,
Meet a lot of people and have fun as well.

Aarond
Aarond is good,,, Aarond is wise,,, Always trust Aarond! (most of the time)
Old February 17, 2011, 11:34 AM   #6
CWKahrFan

Awhile back we had a string on gloves... I sometimes wear a nice snug-fitting batting glove on my shooting hand during long sessions... Especially nice when loading strong-spring mags. Always have one in my bag... Otherwise, a tiny cut or blister could significantly dampen a range session. A couple band-aids are easy to pack too.
Old February 17, 2011, 03:12 PM   #7
precision_shooter

I'm only about 30 mins from my favorite indoor and outdoor ranges...

The following are always in my bag.

Extra Mag(s)
Ammo
Shell boxes or zip-lock bags for empty brass
Ear Plugs (Disposable)
Ear Muffs (Electronic)
Shooting Glasses
Staple Gun
Extra Staples
Targets (Usually 3 different types)
Small assortment of tools (Screwdrivers, Allen Wrenches)

That's about all the goes with me unless I'm planning on staying a good while. Then I will usually take something to drink...
"Laws that forbid the carrying of arms...disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes...Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than to prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed man." - Thomas Jefferson, 1776
Old February 17, 2011, 04:00 PM   #8
jcsturgeon

-Ear plugs (several)
-Earmuffs (x2)
-Eye protection (x2)
-Staple gun
-Extra staples
-Targets
-Guns
-Magazines
-Ammo

There's a pocket in my range bag, the brass I collect that doesn't fit back into the ammo box goes in there and I clean it out when I get home.
Old February 17, 2011, 09:03 PM   #9
credx2

Forgot to include reading glasses
Old February 22, 2011, 10:09 PM   #10
frumious

I have a little tool pouch I carry with me to the range. It has a bunch of allen wrenches and eyeglass screwdrivers and whatnot in it. But I also carry a bigger zipper bag with a couple cleaning rods and brushes, and a little hammer and a few squib rods. Some wooden, some brass. Those rods have kept shoddy ammo (mine LOL) from ruining a good day.

-cls
Old February 23, 2011, 05:16 PM   #11
HunterGuy

Guns
Ammo
Ear Protection (Combat Ear plugs)
Glasses
Stapler w/ Staples
Pen/Pencil/Marker what ever works in my truck
Targets (really liking the Dirty Bird targets recently)
Range Finder
Spotting Scope
An old jacket i dub my shooting jacket.
Assortment of tools
oh and good hard wood surveying stakes w/ mallet to pound in the ground

Everything listed minus the guns/ammo is already in my truck. Makes for less carrying to and from garage/house.
Old February 23, 2011, 07:51 PM   #12
THORN74

-Guns
-ammo
-misc ammo can containing: eyes and ears, tape, staples and staple gun, extra magazines, screws, shop rag, stripper clips
-bug out bag/range bag containing: loaded mags (rifle and pistol), gun lock keys, club gate key, survival blanket, monocular scope, leatherman, flashlight, tissues, 1 liter water bottle, snacks (usually granola bars), flashlight batteries, wet wipes, fire starter, strike anywhere matches, walkie-talkies
-idpa target stand
-paper targets
-spotting scope
-shooting mat
-knee and elbow pads
-tarp
-first aid/trauma kit
- Steel ipda target and stand (new this year)

in my gun club every member has keyed access, so u can be there alone, but i usually try and bring a friend. Its someone to call 911 if nessicarry and it just more fun to shoot with someone, than it is without.
Springfield Armory Inc. M1A Scout 7.62X51mm NATO -- Kar 98AZ (1917 Erfurt) 8mm Mauser -- Marlin Model 60 Glenfield .22LR -- Marlin 795 .22LR -- Marlin 915y .22LR -- AR15 5.56x45mm NATO -- Springfield Armory M1 Garand 30-06
Old February 23, 2011, 11:19 PM   #13
Yung.gunr

Good thread.
I need to get a nice shooting mat. I take most of the stuff listed above, but I also take some wet wipes for after shooting. I do desert shooting and I hate getting my nasty hands all over the inside of the truck. I have read the sides of too many ammo boxes and have become paranoid about lead poisoning. Silly I know but there it is.
Old February 24, 2011, 12:57 AM   #14
hnl.flyboy

Definitely a cleaning rod...my friend's AR had a stuck Wolf casing (before we knew any better) and couldn't do anything until we found someone with a cleaning rod.

Binos/spotting scope are very nice to have..

Also, can't forget the cooler with coke and a bag of chips!!
Keep them all clean.
Old February 24, 2011, 10:05 AM   #15
JerryM

That is about what I take. I have a fairly large tool box that I leave in the truck.

Jerry
Ecclesiastes 12:13  ¶Let us hear the conclusion of the whole matter: Fear God, and keep his commandments: for this is the whole duty of man.
14  For God shall bring every work into judgment, with every secret thing, whether it be good, or whether it be evil.
Old March 9, 2011, 11:49 PM   #16
frumious

I just bought a soft-sided tool bag bucket thing from Lowe's to keep my non-gun stuff in that I carry to the range. The bucket part holds a LOT of ammo. I put 100 rounds each of 9mm, .357, .44mag, and .45ACP, and 300 rounds of 22LR in it last weekend. The rest contains my squib rods, hammer, wrench pouch, screwdriver, earplugs, stapler/staples, shoot-n-see dots, can of CLP, bottle of oil, cleaning rods/brushes, etc. Best $20 I ever spent.

-cls