The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old February 22, 2011, 11:53 PM   #1
MikeGoob

Are there recommended specs for a flashlight?

Is there any consensus on which type/brightness/size flashlight is best for EDC?

Last edited by MikeGoob; February 23, 2011 at 08:40 AM.
Old February 24, 2011, 08:48 AM   #2
Micahweeks

Well, an EDC light is different from a "tactical" light. An EDC light is basically a lightweight utility light. I have a couple in my bag for that purpose. Both are just regular old Coleman's. One has three light colors (white, red, and blue). The other has an adjustable beam. However, for duty, one requires a bit more from their light. Depending on your job (LE, security, etc.) you may want an intense, focused beam like you'll find on Surefires and Streamlights. If you're doing night time drug raids or warrants, you may find a strobe feature helpful. For general use, though, you just need a moderately wide beam with a decent brightness (~70+ lumens).
Old February 24, 2011, 08:51 AM   #3
MikeGoob

Thank you there are literally hundreds to choose from!
Old February 24, 2011, 09:31 AM   #4
output

Honestly, for EDC you don’t need more than 15 lumens coming out of a good light. If you want to EDC a light that is capable of generating enough light to temporarily disorient someone you want about 120 lumens.

I would recommend the sunwayman C10A: http://www.batteryjunction.com/sunwayman-c10a.html it costs about $56.00 and runs on a single AA battery that is cheap and easy to find. It’s a fairly well built light and super easy to carry. There are a ton of others that will get the job done as well though.
Best of luck!
Old February 24, 2011, 10:03 AM   #5
JerryM

If you want some expert advice about flashlights in general here is the place.
http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/forum.php

I sure do agree that 140 lumens would temp blind one. I sojetimes carry a Surefire E2E, but not normally as I am seldom out at night.

Regards,
Jerry
Ecclesiastes 12:13  ¶Let us hear the conclusion of the whole matter: Fear God, and keep his commandments: for this is the whole duty of man.
14  For God shall bring every work into judgment, with every secret thing, whether it be good, or whether it be evil.
Old February 24, 2011, 10:20 AM   #6
Micahweeks

Output is right. For just a utility light, you don't really need more than 15 lumens. But, with the Coleman flashlights being as inexpensive and bright as they are, there isn't any reason you can't have 65 or more for under $40.

Check some out.

coleman.com/coleman/ColemanCom/subcategory.asp?CategoryID=1185

They are extremely useful and easy to replace. And more than bright enough.
Old February 24, 2011, 11:42 AM   #7
MikeGoob

Sometimes I think a good EDC light should be capable of temporarily blinding someone who approaches you late at night asking for something, as sort of a 'stay away' message without the severity of pepper spray.
Old February 24, 2011, 02:04 PM   #8
jmortimer

The 3 pack of aluminum lights from Costco is hard to beat at around $20.00.Three settings - max 150 lumens - with strobe setting and a momentary setting. Cree LED and "tactical" serrerated top and bottom and good for use as Kubaton.
Old February 25, 2011, 12:19 PM   #9
ClydeFrog

basic tactical/white light specs...

I'd heard from a gun press writer(also a working LE officer) a regular white light(also called a flashlight) should be at least 65 luminems(check spelling).
The light should also have the new strobe feature, be Li battery powered(for low temp/cold weather uses), be polymer or durable, have a CREE or LED light source, have a tailcap button(very handy for 2 hand holds w/ a handgun), be waterproof to at least 30ft or so.
S&W had a great M&P light on www.qmuniforms.com and The Sportsman's Guide had a well made off-brand that could be re-charged for around $35.00 USD. See www.thesportsmansguide.com
Surefire, Insight and 5.11 had a few good compact white lights too.

Clyde
www.PoliceHQ.com www.Galls.com www.UScav.com