The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old February 16, 2011, 09:18 PM   #1
fred krause

Gun safe- lost key-pls help

True story- A friend who used to shoot has a safe. Called me and said I can have whatever is in his safe if I can get it opened. He knows there are at least 2 shotguns in it. The safe company has been sold, the new company doesn't make replacement keys for that model anymore. A locksmith said they can drill it out... for a minimum of $350. They told me they look up the "drill points" and go at it. Here's the question- Where do you suggest I look to find the "drill points"? And, if I miss them when I drill, is it forever locked? And, what kind of drill bit would you suggest?
I really appreciate any help you can offer.
-Kirk
Old February 16, 2011, 09:33 PM   #2
wogpotter

The weak point on most safes is the rear. I'd suggest an angle grinder on the rear edges & re-weld after you get the goodies.

Elderly Hunter: “That's dashed unsporting. Probably Belgium.”
Old February 16, 2011, 09:33 PM   #3
mikejonestkd

Drilling the safe will ruin it....so, since you don't care about the safe I have a simple suggestion..

Sawzall the top off the puppy. Unless its a real safe you'll go through it in short order.
Old February 16, 2011, 10:17 PM   #4
beex215

get all your gun buddies and let them all unload on the thing til it opens
Old February 16, 2011, 10:45 PM   #5
NESHOOTER

I would get a 2nd opinion before anything was done just maybe that locksmith didn't have it together.
Old February 16, 2011, 11:55 PM   #6
Sport45

Please post more specifics on the safe. Make and model?

I'd expect a decent locksmith to be able to pick the lock for $50-75.
Old February 17, 2011, 12:42 AM   #7
ethan95

Is it a "safe", or more of the metal locker type? I have one of the locker types, I could easily cut the top off. An actual "safe" is gonna need the expertise of locksmith to open. Could drilling it wrong for ever lock it? I have no idea, I suppose that if you drill it wrong and somehow bind the lock it could. I would think that the lock could be picked, but then again im not a lock smith. I think that a second opinion from another locksmith would be wise.
Old February 17, 2011, 01:39 AM   #8
StrongSideArmsInc

Angle grinder and some none flammable oil
Old February 17, 2011, 02:09 AM   #9
triumph666

my local locksmith can make keys just by bringing lock to him or having him come over....Its what they do....he charged me 20$ to make a key for a lock that had no key...he had some special tool to do it....but there is a fee for traveling with most locksmiths
Old February 17, 2011, 02:21 AM   #10
armsmaster270

If it has a keyway you don't need to drill it, you pick it.
Old February 17, 2011, 09:24 AM   #11
wogpotter

Quote:
none flammable oil
Spoilsport

Elderly Hunter: “That's dashed unsporting. Probably Belgium.”
Old February 17, 2011, 09:28 AM   #12
a1abdj

I agree with what the others have said. Unless the safe has a high security keyway (like Medeco, or UL listed safe lock), the chances are good that it could be picked, or that a key could be replicated.

Knowing a bit more about it, or seeing some photos, would narrow it down quite a bit.

Those of us in the business would never discuss things like "drill points" with others who are not in the business. How secure would your safe be if everybody on the internet knew how to break into it?

When I drill a gun safe, the typical charge to open (no repair) is in the $300 +/- range. Included in that is the $100,000 worth of truck and equipment parked in your driveway, a few million dollars worth of liability insurance, 20 years worth of experience, and thousands and thousands of dollars worth of classes and training. How much should I charge?
Old February 17, 2011, 04:46 PM   #13
precision_shooter

If it's just a cabinet and the locking mechanism can be replaced, just drill out the lock, then once open buy a replacement tumbler and keys and replace the one you drilled out..
"Laws that forbid the carrying of arms...disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes...Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than to prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed man." - Thomas Jefferson, 1776
Old February 17, 2011, 08:23 PM   #14
Pahoo

Do you know if the dial is locked or just the "Day-Lock"? It's easier to get into them if only the Day-Lock is locked. A friend of mine , who sold gun safes, says that if only the day-lock is used, you can just drill out the tumblers in the key lock and turn the outside dial to be able to open the door. At this point, you might not know if only the Day-Lock is in use. If your dial is set on zero, then that might be a clue that only the day-lock is set and not the tumblers. Sadly, most owners only use the day-lock and later regret their actions. Now, understand that I am not aware of the quality of safe you have. .....

My safe is one of a high-end safes and it came with two keys. A few years back, I lost one of them and when I tried to get a spare from a reputable lock smith, he said he could not legally duplicate it and he did not have that base pattern. Now, I also know that most gun safe manufactureres do not make the lock itself but instead, buy them from an outside source, in lots. ...

By my measure, A" locksmith is still your best bet. ....

Be Safe !!!
Old February 18, 2011, 07:35 AM   #15
fred krause

Thanks for the help. Good idea on cabinet versus safe? I just assume it's a safe but I'll check. Also, I'll shop around for another locksmith. I appreciate the info.
Old February 18, 2011, 10:08 PM   #16
NESHOOTER

Fred, I was given a safe about 600lbs and dial combo type lock a couple yrs ago and the charge was 85.00 to pick the safe he had in done in mins gave me the #'s and off he went.
Old February 19, 2011, 10:50 AM   #17
highvel

Locks are for honest people, and are very easy to defeat if you know what you are doing!
A locksmith should be able to help you without damage, or, he or she isnt a very good locksmith!

"I have opinions of my own 'strong opinions' but I don't always agree with them."--George Bush
Old February 19, 2011, 10:57 AM   #18
Brian Pfleuger
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Locks are for honest people, and are very easy to defeat if you know what you are doing!
A locksmith should be able to help you without damage, or, he or she isnt a very good locksmith!

^^^^
This!

A friend of mine is a forensic locksmith.... he taught me, in about 10 minutes, how to open ALMOST any lock with the correct tools. Any "locksmith" worth the name should be able to have that thing open in... seconds, practically.

Although.... I've always hated the "locks are for honest people" cliche.... I'm an honest people, you don't need locks to keep me out of your stuff.... that's what it means to be "honest".

Locks are for DISHONEST people who aren't very MOTIVATED!
Old February 19, 2011, 10:52 PM   #19
highvel

Honest people respect locks, dishonest don't, hence the cliché

"I have opinions of my own 'strong opinions' but I don't always agree with them."--George Bush
Old February 19, 2011, 11:14 PM   #20
Sport45

Yeah, but really honest people respect closed doors.
Open doors too, for that matter.

To the OP: Any updates??? I'd like to hear what was in there.
Old February 23, 2011, 07:01 AM   #21
fred krause

I am searching for another locksmith. Based on the input above, he should be able to open it and for under $100. I will post what the spoil are when I open it. Sort of like Al Capones vault....
Thanks everybody for your help!
Old February 23, 2011, 07:20 AM   #22
Sport45

Good luck! Do keep us posted.

And stick around. We'll help you find a good load or help you fix up whatever you find in there!