The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old February 15, 2011, 03:52 PM   #1
gearchecker

Looking for a heater for my safe - Or other suggestion

HELP ! ! !
I have a Browning Pro-Steel 30 gun safe. It's roughly 36" wide, 30" deep and 70" tall.

I can't get it warm enough inside to warm the guns up to the point where I don't get condensation when I pull my guns from the safe.
I currently have 2 - 18" Goldenrods in the safe on the floor.
Does anybody make a small heater that puts out enough heat to keep it warmer inside, so condensation won't be an issue. As long as the guns remain in the safe there isn't any problem because the temps remain pretty constant. I've pretty much decide to keep the safe closed up during the winter to avoid the temp shifts.

Here's the big problem.
The safe is currently out in my garage. Temps out there can reach near sub-zero, and the goldenrods just can't produce enough heat against with those temps.

I want to move the safe to my family/computer room, but my wife wants to leave it out in the garage of at all possible.
I'm getting a dehumidifier for it on top of the goldenrods, but I still don't think that will be enough.
Does anybody know of a method or a heater available to get the safe warmed up without destroying my guns. I've got $20-$25K in guns, and probably $10K in ammo I want to protect.
You're help will be greatly appreciated.
~gearchecker~
http://www.corneredcat.com

Last edited by gearchecker; February 15, 2011 at 08:28 PM.
Old February 15, 2011, 04:38 PM   #2
rdmallory

Look at a boating supply house. I purchased one to keep the moisture out of a boat I once owned.
Old February 15, 2011, 04:55 PM   #3
kenny g

I've had the same problem with my safe in the garage.looked into the goldenrod from cabelas.
drilled a small 1/4 hole in the side of the safe at the top and keep a 60 watt bulb burning during cold/damp winter Day's randomly plug it in.
no more condensation issues.
cost about two bucks. problem solved.
Old February 15, 2011, 08:30 PM   #4
gearchecker

It's probably coming inside within the next couple of weeks.
It seems the only way to resolve this issue in the long run.
http://www.corneredcat.com
Old February 15, 2011, 10:15 PM   #5
Yung.gunr

I would point out to her how much of an investment it is and that it needs to be inside or it will ruin them. Ask her if she would like to keep her favorite diamonds out in the garage for safe keeping.
Old February 15, 2011, 10:51 PM   #6
trustygun25

x2 on the goldenrod
Old February 16, 2011, 01:42 AM   #7
StrongSideArmsInc

You know the little packs of Silca you get in a new pair of shoes?? They say "DO NOT EAT". Put a couple of them in the safe, they will absorb extra moisture and then put a small 50 watt light bulb in the safe, and leave it on. That will take care of the problem. I wouldn't use a heater, seams a tad unsafe.
Old February 16, 2011, 03:45 AM   #8
kadima

+1 for the bulb.
It's the system that many amateurial aircraft builders use to keep the cabinet containing kevlar and fiberglass dry....

K.
Old February 21, 2011, 10:59 PM   #9
BioHazrdMan

I put a ropelight in my safe... nice and neat along the back, bottomside of the shelves. Mostly for light (does great) but it does give off a lot of heat also! 2 uses outa 1 thing!
Old February 21, 2011, 11:09 PM   #10
youngunz4life

do yourself a favor (if possible), get the safe out of the garage. Garages, cellars, and attics are bad places for safes in my opinion. Depending on the home, some basements can be ok (mine isn't one of them / moisture is an issue and there can be other issues). Your fighting a losing battle if the atmosphere where the safe is can have moodswings and/or isn't good. Where you live mostly that you keep cool enough or warm enough for yourself to be comfortable throughout the seasons is the best way to go. It is also closer to you and harder for a BG to access without you knowing.

Quote:
I want to move the safe to my family/computer room, but my wife wants to leave it out in the garage of at all possible.
definately work on her about this. you are in the right in my opinion. explain it will cost more overtime otherwise and possibly much more. its a lifetime safe probably - take care if it(not saying you don't - just sympathizing with your dilemma). it will end up being too much of a headache that can be avoided.
Old February 22, 2011, 07:59 AM   #11
rickdavis81

Put her in the garage and the guns inside. My sister does the same thing to my BIL. I don't understand it, he was in the Navy and now in the Army, he's not to big of an idiot. My thinking could be why I'm in the middle of a divorce though.