The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Firing Line Gun Show > Retail Deals and Feedback

Notices

Old January 23, 2007, 11:27 PM   #1
allenomics

Glock Mandates and Enforces Minimum Advertising Price (MAP) Policy

Does anyone know about "Glock's new Minimum Advertising Price (MAP) Policy?

Sites like Glockworld and Topglock very recently listed prices on all guns. Really good deals! One example - G19 just $459 (free shipping and no sales tax, depending upon state of purchase on topglock).

Now, apparently, they can't list their low prices on-line. Perhaps they could list prices if they were higher?

Now customers must call the on-line vendors (listed above) to obtain their best sale prices.

What's going on? Are bricks and mortar dealers swaying Glock to level the playing field at customers' expense?
Old January 24, 2007, 12:48 AM   #2
JohnKSa
Staff

I've run into this several times with various products. Last one like this I remember was a knife dealer who couldn't print or advertise his Spyderco prices online because they were lower than Spyderco allowed.

Just a manufacturer trying to take care of its dealers.

You can still get the low prices, but the smaller volume dealers have a little better chance of competing.
Old January 24, 2007, 12:59 PM   #3
pwelsh4hd

I agree...probably just a way for the manufacturer to protect the brick and mortar shop (with overhead) from some of the low-ball internet-only bottom feeders that seem to be popping up from everywhere nowadays. While I also like a great deal, I think it's good that they are trying to protect the established physical gunshop. I still want to be able to go down to the shop, handle the firearms, get some smithy work done, and buy from them when able....the last thing I want to see is only the internet sales available, and no more mom-pop gunshop .
These types of business have supported firearms companies for years, and it's time they supported them back.
Old January 24, 2007, 03:14 PM   #4
Musketeer

It is not in the firearms industry alone. I have seen the same policy with minature hobby equipment. On line dealers were advertising at 20%+ off of what a brick and mortar store could sell and the manufacturer realizes that the life of their product depends on an actuall shelf presence at brick and mortat shops. What they do is make it a requirement of doing business with them that dealers NOT advertise lower prices on line. Violate the policy and they are cut off.

It makes sense and Glock is just trying to help out the dealers who brought them to the dance.

"The way to see by faith is to shut the eye of reason." Benjamin Franklin
Old January 25, 2007, 12:16 PM   #5
FirstFreedom

Not uncommon

Happens a lot. theopticzone.com cannot print it's zeiss conquest prices, for example.