The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old March 23, 2017, 10:55 AM   #51
jimbob86

I'd recommend not just one hand press, but two or three, and just leave the dies in them, rather than changing them out.

They'll fit in a shoebox, and are super portable. Great for load development at the the range.
Old March 23, 2017, 11:15 AM   #52
Blindstitch

The quick breech lock system on the new handpress makes changing them out a lot easier without have to adjust the dies all the time.
Old March 23, 2017, 11:23 AM   #53
jimbob86

But blind, they are like 30 bucks ..... last forever, and if you have a couple of kids, you can set up an assembly line around a picnic table at a camp ground.....
Old March 23, 2017, 11:53 AM   #54
mikld

Quote:
Ok just curious do you also have another reason for having an arbor besides having extra tools are great. I probably only need to use one every other year and I work on a lot of motorcycles and other things.
I don't know what kind of bikes you work on, but have you ever had to install a bearing in a case, alternator frame, etc. without an arbor press. It can be done, but it can be a real problem too (I've used a hammer and chunk of wood to drive one into place, but if it gets started crooked, big trouble can result). I was working on a "custom" cover for a BBQ and used my arbor press to install grommets. I have used my arbor press as a clamp, sorta, to hold two pieces of wood together while gluing (I put a weight on the handle, set the piece in the press and adjusted the height so that the ram was pressing on the piece with the lever at right angles to the floor and and it applied pressure, holding the piece in place.). It's not a tool I use daily, but when you need one, you need one, imagination is an asset to any shop need. I'm a life long machinist/mechanic that spent the last 25 years of my career working on Heavy Duty Construction Equipment and also a confirmed tool nut.
Old March 23, 2017, 01:52 PM   #55
Blindstitch

Quote:
But blind, they are like 30 bucks ..... last forever, and if you have a couple of kids, you can set up an assembly line around a picnic table at a camp ground.....
Sounds like child labor to me. I guess it's ok if you already have the kids but it would probably be costly for me to rent a few.

Quote:
have you ever had to install a bearing in a case, alternator frame, etc. without an arbor press. It can be done, but it can be a real problem too (I've used a hammer and chunk of wood to drive one into place, but if it gets started crooked, big trouble can result).
And that's why I have a friend with an arbor press. But I use it so little that it isn't worth me buying one.
Old March 23, 2017, 02:14 PM   #56
Itsa Bughunt

Quote:
and if you have a couple of kids, you can set up an assembly line around a picnic table at a camp ground.....
Old March 23, 2017, 04:12 PM   #57
jimbob86

Quote:
When I'm in the outdoors the last thing I'd want to do is reload ammo.
If you have enough kids, all you really have to do is supervise ....

Quote:
Sounds like child labor to me.
We have a slightly different version of the "Little Red Hen Story" told at the campground ...... They want to shoot the bullets, then they better help load them!

Quote:
I guess it's ok if you already have the kids but it would probably be costly for me to rent a few.
They are really not that hard to make once you figure it out

....but nieces and nephews, and even my cousin's kids are all more than eager to put ammo together if they got to shoot some of it.
Old March 24, 2017, 01:50 AM   #58
Itsa Bughunt

My kids are in their 30's and don't go camping with me. They like staying up all night partying. I like to stay up all night and look at the sky with my telescope.
Old March 26, 2017, 01:05 PM   #59
Itsa Bughunt

I mentioned the arbor press to my brother and he told me one of the top shooters at his club uses an arbor press that's mounted to the bed of his truck with a Lee Loader. He get's razzed for not having a "real" reloading press.