The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: General

Old March 15, 2014, 12:21 PM   #1
johnelmore

Russian Army rifles in Crimea

Im looking and wondering...what are the rifles being displayed in Crimea? I am a big fan of Russian rifles myself and wondering what others see in the various images on the net?
Old March 15, 2014, 07:12 PM   #2
barnbwt

Supposedly the new AK12's were seen by someone, somewhere (seem as elusive as Big Foot, though). Also there was a great shot early on of the alleged "Right-Wing Fascist Terrorists" terrorizing ethnic Russians while wearing distinctive striped T-shirts under their jackets and carrying very high end GM-94 grenade launchers (IIRC, the "victims" badly faked non-injuries in the video)

TCB
Old March 15, 2014, 07:15 PM   #3
tynman

I think all I have seen on pictures there are there AK47 with plastic stocks.
Old March 15, 2014, 10:21 PM   #4
Dfariswheel

So far, I've seen several old style AK-74 paratrooper models with the side folding metal stock, and the new AK with the side folding polymer stock.

Most seem to be the new model, and you have to look close to see the side folding latch mechanism on the side of the polymer stock.
Old March 16, 2014, 01:11 AM   #5
KnightofCydonia

They are AK-74M, M for 'Modernized'

Basically updated muzzle brake, folding synthetic stock, and something to do with the receiver.
Old March 16, 2014, 02:27 AM   #6
bamaranger

civilian

I saw at least two news clips where the civilians were armed with what were clearly air rifles.
Old March 16, 2014, 04:46 AM   #7
10-96

A quick googling shows that in Feb 2012, Russia adopted the AK12 as their official issue rifle.

I suspect a thing or two... because I've seen a thing or two.
Old March 16, 2014, 11:25 AM   #8
johnelmore

All of the Russian soldiers appear similar, but there are minor differences easily spotted. The first Russian troops in seemed the most disciplined and the best equipped. Their uniforms seemed new and had the latest digital camo. Some looked like they carried silenced sniper rifles and I did see what looked like either the Ak12 or the AN94. If you have ever experienced any military unit you know new equipment and fresh uniforms are hard to come by unless you are a critical mission ready unit.

Later on in the game the troops started appearing with AK74s. The late model all plastic kind. Their camo seemed more olive drab and these troops seemed less disciplined. There was one video of a Korean or Chinese Russian soldier who was laughing and seemed a little chunky for military service. He was probably part of the later units. There was even one unit equipped with desert goggles with the word track on them.

Obviously the initial units in were the spearhead and most elite. They carried the rifles which you dont see in the regular Russian army. The units which followed were a mix from different parts of Russia and had different missions. Not much in the way of anti tank weapons or tracked armor. Probably not expecting an armor response.
Old March 16, 2014, 12:10 PM   #9
Chris_B

Quote:
I saw at least two news clips where the civilians were armed with what were clearly air rifles.
Oh please, please! Magazines. We don't call them "clips".
Old March 16, 2014, 03:03 PM   #10
bamaranger

Oh gosh

Film clips....videos......sound bites.

Oh.............. I get it!
Old March 16, 2014, 04:17 PM   #11
Chris_B

lol
Old March 18, 2014, 11:08 AM   #12
shaunpain

I decided to look up some Google images of Russian forces in Crimea and saw all types of different rifles. Mainly AK-74Ms with the orange Bakelite mags, AN-94s, one or two AK-12s, and lots of PKP Pechenegs. From what I understand from the things I've read, the AK-12 was never officially adopted as there are millions of AK-74s in their stockpile which were considered good enough. Johnelmore is right in that most of the newer rifles will be issued as special status or mission-specific equipment for more elite or specialized units. Most of the grunts had the stockpile rifles. I saw no Val type rifles, but I didn't expect to as I was under the assumption that those are very limited issue to special force units. I did see one picture of a very serious looking fellow with a Dragunov SVD. Didn't notice anything particularly high tech and no impact detonated weapons. Lots of tanks of different types.
Old March 18, 2014, 05:58 PM   #13
johnelmore

Some of the AK74s look a bit older depending on the Russian soldier. I saw one picture today where the black AK74 had a brown wooden like magazine. You could see some of the black wearing off. These guys appeared in olive drab uniforms which were a tad faded. Lets call these guys the third tier troops. Reserved for guard duty and to make things look defended.
Old March 19, 2014, 09:50 AM   #14
psalm7

There is one vid showing a Russian Soldier wearing a belaclava standing in front of a truck with a scoped newer Draganov with the steel frame stock . Nice rifle . This is some of the footage being shown over and over by FOX .
Old March 19, 2014, 08:51 PM   #15
johnelmore

There are these Russian soldiers who wear a solid light brown uniform with the cargo pockets being a dark color or a reverse color. I have no idea if thats camo or what the purpose behind that type of uniform. Its not anything I have seen used in any military of the world. Its almost as if its a uniform thats been turned inside out.

Thats an old trick of turning clothing inside out when you havent washed for days, but I think this is an actual uniform design.