The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old April 11, 2013, 07:34 AM   #1
duelist1954

Pedersoli flintlock pistol kit

I had to put my flintlock rifle build on hold recently when Combat Handguns magazine asked me to write an article about building a flintlock pistol from a kit.

I selected this Pedersoli .45 caliber Kentucky pistol kit from Dixie Gun Works. This is a very easy kit that anyone should be able to build.

I'll do a short video series on assembling the kit. In this first installment I'll show you what comes with the kit, and I'll show you how to shape the nose cap and clean up the brass ramrod thimbles...more updates to come.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nHr0951AXYM

Old April 11, 2013, 08:13 AM   #2
Doc Hoy

Good video Mike...

But you are going to force me to get back into single shot pistols and long arms.

You are going to get a letter from my wife. Wear a mask when you open it.
Old April 11, 2013, 09:57 AM   #3
Pahoo

Oh, I like this one !!!

Nice work, Mike!!
Found it surprising and fortunate that it actually comes, funtionally assembled, mostly fitted and even blued.
Can't tell you how many kits I've had to wrestle to get them to this state. ...

Did I understand you to say that the barrel is held down by the fastener on the nose cap. Perhaps I'm reading to much into this and do see barrel pins. ..

Keep them coming and;
Be Safe !!!
Old April 11, 2013, 10:13 AM   #4
duelist1954

You're seeing ramrod thimble pins...two pins to each thimble.
Old April 11, 2013, 07:02 PM   #5
brazosdave

Nice work Mike! I haven't fought through making a kit on my own yet, have a couple of ones that either came assembled or someone else did the work. I do love the frontstuffers!
Old April 12, 2013, 07:54 AM   #6
4V50 Gary
Staff

Mike,

Are you going to modify that frizzen spring? It's gosh awful ugly and out of proportion.

Gary
Old April 12, 2013, 10:00 AM   #7
Pahoo

Points of reference

Mike,
Now I understand that you did not get any instructions with your kit. Might I ask, what information do you gather/reference, in trying to produce a faithful reproduction. As I observe your videos, I can tell that you have the plans in your head. .....

Be Safe !!!
Old April 12, 2013, 01:23 PM   #8
NateKirk

Always wanted to try something like this but had neither the time nor money. Looks good though!
Old April 12, 2013, 05:25 PM   #9
duelist1954

I finished the Pedersoli flintlock pistol kit today. I'll still do a couple of more videos showing the rest of the process, but I thought I'd post a few pictures now.

Once again I demonstrated my ability to take $400 worth of parts and turn them into a gun worth $200. *

On the whole I'm pleased with the pistol, but I did pull some major boners.

First of all, a good sized sliver of wood broke off at the top of the right forearm, and it resisted all efforts to glue it back in place, so I have a decent dip there.

Then I cut the lips of the ramrod channel pretty low, which I wanted to do, but I didn't realize it would show off the inletting for the entry thimbal, which was done with a router.

This is the first gun I ever did lock beavertails for...or any molding for that matter. I figured it would be good practice for my rifle build. They certainly didn't come out perfect. I found the walnut very difficult to cut cleanly, compared to maple.

I tried a different outlining technique on each panel. On the lock panel I used a 3mm V gouge and on the side plate panel I used a knife. I had issues either way...ordered some books on carving because I have no clue...

Still, I'm not totally displeased with the pistol. I'm looking forward to shooting it.

Old April 12, 2013, 08:06 PM   #10
brazosdave

I think it looks great! I'm sure you'll have fun with it!
Old April 17, 2013, 11:15 AM   #11
H.W. French

I wouldn't worry about the woodwork. I think the chip and tail give it a bit of a worn look. Once the brass wears in it should have a nice aged appearance. I butchered a very nice piece of maple a while back and was so disgusted with myself that I put the entire project on hold. Thanks for the inspiration.