The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old January 4, 2013, 12:08 AM   #726
ThundarStick

I have always been a big fan of the 32H&R in the SSM and had one in SP101 untill wonderlust got the best of me and I traded it! When the 327 Fed. came out I was all over it! I love the round and have done my part to support it. Have all three of the Rugers, S&W 632 bright stainless, and a little Taurus two tone. I cary the GP100 the most as a CCW and have shot IDPA with it. Even with 100gr lead reloads it will put down the steel targets every bit as good as any 9mm. This round realy shines in the J frame size gun for CCW. The only draw back is that the noise level makes it seem like it has more kick than it realy does.

I would LOVE to see S&W chamber it in the K frame with 7 rounds, or Ruger make it in the same 4 inch SP101 like the 357 or 22lr 4 inch. I would also buy a light, short bolt action in the 327 as well.
Old January 4, 2013, 09:10 AM   #727
tjh

A 7 or 8 round revolver 4" would be a great weapon to have if this semi auto ban and mag restritions get passed. A nice size double action 327 mag 8 shot sounds good to me . If S& W has a 8 shot 357 could you put 9, 327's in the same model ? High capacity revolvers may be the future.
Old January 4, 2013, 09:17 AM   #728
hulley

Kinda bummed, now I know why I havent been able to find a SP101 in 327 lately. The SP101 fits my hand perfectly and I've been wanting to add the 327 to the stable for a little while. I reload also so I'm not too worried about that. I did find some 32H&R SP101, are those 6 shots?
Old January 6, 2013, 11:35 AM   #729
pete2

Some of the newer stuff just doesn't get the interest that other stuff does. I would like to have a 3" single six in 327 with a birds head handle on it. I'd even take a 32 mag. Ruger didn't offer either one. Mfgs. only stick with stuff that sells well so I don't look for anything to come of the 327 Mag even tho it's a good idea and something new to play with.
Old January 6, 2013, 11:39 AM   #730
jimbob86

Quote:
I did find some 32H&R SP101, are those 6 shots?
They are.

I wanted a .327 sp101, but bought an AR instead.

I'll get one eventually.
Old January 6, 2013, 02:02 PM   #731
Glenn E. Meyer

I was in Cabela's yesterday for a conference and before it started I looked at the ammo shelves. There was one box of 20 Federal 327 and two boxes of 50
of American Eagle soft point. When I was ready to leave - they were gone.
Old January 6, 2013, 07:47 PM   #732
biscuit82

Wonder if it would have done better if it was labeled .32 super magnum
Old January 7, 2013, 09:09 PM   #733
BillCA

Since the round was developed for a 3" Ruger "snubby" they might have been better off calling it something like the .32 Defensive Magnum, or .32 Magnum Defense cartridge.

When I hear "Super Magnum" I think of rifle cartridges.
Which reminds me, Winchester has announced a new rimfire cartridge.
It's the .17 Super Magnum Rimfire. They're using the .27 caliber industrial ramset cartridges, necked down to .17 caliber to get 3000 fps from a 20gr bullet. (400 ft-lbs!)
Old January 7, 2013, 09:56 PM   #734
Glenn E. Meyer

Bass Pro had about 5 boxes of the American Eagle. One of the Federal.
Old January 10, 2013, 03:15 PM   #735
glenncal1

If the .327 is so unloved 'splain this auction:

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/Vie...Item=325229941

Many K and N Frames
Old January 10, 2013, 07:09 PM   #736
RJM

Quote:
Man, I may need to sell my .327 if they are fetching those kinds of prices.
Old January 10, 2013, 07:37 PM   #737
Billy Shears

Quote:

Yep, just my luck. I sold one pretty much identical to that about a month ago for $425 and threw in a couple of speed loaders to sweeten the deal.
Old January 10, 2013, 09:34 PM   #738
tjh

I hope to find or get a gp 100 in 327 before they are all gone , just don't have the funds right now.
Old January 11, 2013, 12:08 PM   #739
VTRich

Ruger isn't going to cataolg the SP101 or Blackhawk in 327 for 2013, so that's porbably why the prices on Gunbroker. There is a Blackhawk on there that is up over $650 already. I have both and enjoy shooting them, especially the blackhawk. Thos Gunbroker prices have me tempted to part with the Sp101 though!

Last edited by VTRich; January 11, 2013 at 12:14 PM.
Old January 12, 2013, 09:31 AM   #740
Gdawgs

I just noticed that Ruger doesn't have the 327's on their website as well. I've been eyeing the 327s for a long time but just haven't jumped in yet. I might just have to do it. The LGS has a new SP101, I may have to go get it. But I really love the looks of the Blackhawk as well, so I'm torn. I also know a guy who was looking to sell his SP101. I think he was asking $400. So maybe I'll have to give him a call. Looks like it would be a fun reloading cartridge.
Old January 12, 2013, 10:11 AM   #741
RJM

The .32s are great if you are a reloader, especially if you have one of the .327 fed mag guns. You can reload pipsqueak rounds or powerful rounds all using the same gun and same dies, pretty cool.

The blackhawk makes a really great hunting handgun, it is heavy though. The Blackhawk is a finely finished gun too, I thought it was better finished than the .45 colt Blackhawk I had. It had a better trigger out of the box and the grip was just right.

I thought about buying the GP100 model too, just because I had the other two Ruger versions and I thought I would round out the collection, but realized the SP model does a really great job for a defense gun and at the range, so there was no reason. If I was to get another gun in .327 federal, I would really want a lever gun (has anybody made one chambered for it yet?). A Bullberry barrel for the Contender is not out of the picture though.
Old January 12, 2013, 01:34 PM   #742
Sevens

I started working with the round three years ago (almost to the DAY!) when one of my buddies decided to take a wild turn and bought the SP-101. My experience was limited to concocting loads and trying them out in his revolver until I had them where I wanted them, then simply making a few boxes for him to practice with a couple times a month. A handful of times each year, I'd experiment with new loads when I had a chance to get behind the revolver.

I agree with much of the marketing hype with regards to the fact that you've got bullet speed and "power" without near the felt recoil punch of .357 Magnum. Certainly, you've got a lot of blast. I still have no idea--none whatsoever of the .327's round effectiveness in real shootings, but functionally, the SP-101 is a well-built little unit that can be well employed in a defensive role.

Another buddy of mine whom I get to see and shoot with more often snagged the stainless Blackhawk. It's much like my .30 Carbine Blackhawk but prettier, with a more manageable barrel length and 8 rounds capacity. It was with this one that I began to chrono my handloads for the first time and get a little more gutsy with what I was building.

In early June, I finally got my own and I was a little hesitant because I love -- or very nearly REQUIRE a very good deal to get drawn in to another handgun. This one was used and clean, but not as low priced as I hope or expect a used gun ought to be. But these guns...they just don't show up all too often enough, new or used. I ended up paying for it a similar price to what used ones were going for on Gunbroker at the time. New ones are still a bit more on the rare occasion that you see one.

I bought it because I have enjoyed toying with the round.
But I didn't really believe that I was going to love it this much.

I carry a semi-auto so the SP-101, while a darn good gun, it was simply not going to be something I needed to buy. The Blackhawk is too much like my .30 Carb, so that wasn't going to happen either...and truly, it is much larger than it needs to be for fun, enjoyable .327'ing. It feels like you've got a .44 Mag in your hand.

The GP-100 is, in my opinion, BY FAAAAR the absolute gem of the three. The Hogue grip was quite comfy, but it looked like a slab of rotten roadkill attached to the revolver, so it went away. The previous owner had this revolver Mag-na-Ported, of all curious things, because it was purchased to be his wife's protection piece (a bit large for that role?!) so my GP-100 is different than...well, EVERYONE else's.

What a joy this revolver is. If Bill Ruger came to me in a dream and asked me to improve it, I'd suggest a 5-inch barrel. Would give a bit more sight radius, a bit more punch and the balance wouldn't be compromised. And an already good lookin' fireplug would look just a little bit better with a little less than an inch added.

It makes me happy that a revolver made like TODAY can still give me the warm & fuzzies that I get from my older and "they won't EVER make 'em like this again" Smith & Wessons.
Old January 12, 2013, 01:56 PM   #743
Sevens

You want to try .327 Federal right now? Here's how I rank them.

1) GP-100 for fun and utility, but too big for concealed carry unless you open or duty carry. If most of your handguns are like most of mine and you just wish to enjoy it, there's no better choice.

2) SP-101, not a micro size or snubbie, but runs like a 4-inch K-frame...with either more power (over .38) or a LOT more manageable (over .357)

3) Blackhawk. Pretty, solid, well made, but it's big, fat & heavy. If you are the hunting type...certainly. 8 rounds on board is pretty cool! If you are just shooting for fun and enjoyment, the GP-100 is more friendly.

4) Freedom Arms. Never even touched one or seen one in the flesh, but their reputation speaks volumes. You won't get one for under $1,200, but I'm sure you'll have an heirloom piece for your money. If you like the Blackhawk but you want a Rolls Royce, go this route.

5) S&W Model 632 Power Port. Never played with one of these, but I would imagine the port is similar to what I'm running in my GP with my porting. S&W couldn't be convinced to build a classic, normal K-frame and this is their only offering. If you think hardly anyone buys a .327, check with S&W and you may believe that NOBODY has EVER bought a .327.

The others...I just can't recommend with confidence, and here is why.
1) Taurus...they quit making them and now they can be found -REALLY- cheap. It's not that they aren't cheap enough (wow, are they low in price!) but it's physics. The .327 Federal simply has to have a bare minimum of a 3-inch barrel to make the cartridge run at it's extreme pace. We've known for generations that longer=faster in handgun barrels, but in the case of the .327, the cartridge gets clipped and just plain neutered under 3 inches. The Taurus revolvers in .327 Federal are all snubs and not a single one of them has the capability of running the .327 without shedding HUNDREDS of FPS off any of the rounds. If you want the blast of a magnum with the hitting power of a .380, this platform can do that.

2) Charter Arms Patriot...they made some of these in snubbies (skip them for the same reason) and some of them with four inch barrels. Now the four inch -- I would really like to play with. You'd get the full power & capability of the round and for a low-$ expenditure. I told myself if I found one for cheap, I'd snag one. But I don't have almost ANY confidence in the durability of what we can all agree is a low-buck firearm...only in this case, attempting to run a 45,000 PSI bottle rocket. Remember that a Charter running .38 Special is running 17,500 PSI. .327 beating on this?! Add it up and I think you'd shoot one of these to failure. I could be wrong--show me!

3) Bond Arms...a stack barrel derringer. Hmmm. I'm sure some folks like these, but they aren't for me. It does have a full 3-inch barrel, though, so you'd get the bullet moving properly. But these guns are awfully limited in function...and they aren't exactly cheap. I'm sure there's one or two in existence. They have a reputation for quality.

4) Contender barrel... I don't see it. And actually, I am a Contender guy, have a Super 14" .223 that has been a blessing to me. But if you are going to go with a single shot and a large platform, there's like a HUNDRED choices and certainly, there's going to be many ways to get a stubby 100 grain pill to rocket up toward 2,000 FPS in a more exciting, interesting or even ballistically superior way than to go .327 Federal. But by all means!
Old January 12, 2013, 01:57 PM   #744
jimbob86

I dunno what went "wrong" on the industry side, because there is certainly no lack of interest: this thread has around 750 replies and nearly 55 THOUSAND views .......

Maybe it does not have the profit margin of the sR series, but a good many people are certainly interested in it.
Old January 12, 2013, 01:59 PM   #745
Sevens

There's one more option, but you've gotta have a little dough, you've gotta be REALLY savvy in the gun show circuit to find one, you've gotta have patience while it's being transformed and, well, you gotta have good gun karma to find yourself in the position of putting it all together.

I dream of one...

Search "Hammer It" and his revolver and his posts about it.

Put THAT one just above the GP-100 in the list.
Old January 12, 2013, 02:03 PM   #746
Sevens

Quote:
I dunno what went "wrong" on the industry side, because there is certainly no lack of interest: this thread has around 750 replies and nearly 55 THOUSAND views .......

Maybe it does not have the profit margin of the sR series, but a good many people are certainly interested in it.
I'd like to think this is the case, but it's really not representative of the real market and the real interest.

Try this... at the next gun show you attend, keep count of the .327 Federal --ANYTHING-- you find. Ammo, brass, even 85-115 grain .312" component slugs, guns, load data in manuals...start asking folks at the show. MANY of the dealers, even. Some of the actual GUN dealers will have heard of it and the one or two handloading tool sellers will nod that they are aware that such a round exists, but the lion's share of people at the show wouldn't know a .327 Federal from a .327 Chevrolet.

This thread is a slew of enthusiasts and a handful of people that clicked to say quite simply that "it's an answer to a question nobody asked..." <puke smiley>
Old January 12, 2013, 02:05 PM   #747
Low Friction

Also USFA makes the 7-1/2" 327 Sparrowhawk. This is also a high $ piece that is no lightweight. But I do have an attraction to it.
Old January 12, 2013, 02:07 PM   #748
jimbob86

Quote:
Taurus...they quit making them and now they can be found -REALLY- cheap. It's not that they aren't cheap enough (wow, are they low in price!) but it's physics. The .327 Federal simply has to have a bare minimum of a 3-inch barrel to make the cartridge run at it's extreme pace. We've known for generations that longer=faster in handgun barrels, but in the case of the .327, the cartridge gets clipped and just plain neutered under 3 inches. The Taurus revolvers in .327 Federal are all snubs and not a single one of them has the capability of running the .327 without shedding HUNDREDS of FPS off any of the rounds. If you want the blast of a magnum with the hitting power of a .380, this platform can do that.
This won't bother the Taurus target demographic: the low information shooter/ballistic innumerati .... they sold a ton of Judges based on "power of a shotgun in a pistol" thinking .....
Old January 12, 2013, 02:52 PM   #749
RJM

I should add to my post above about the blackhawk - the weight really helps with recoil absorption, which seems to help with accuracy. I would say 50 yards is within a good handgun hunting range with it, maybe more depending on how cold I am.

I just pulled mine out since I was thinking about it, figured I would clean it a little. Man, it is a nice looking single action.

I think the USFA or a Freedom Arms model 97 would be quite excellent for this round.
Old January 12, 2013, 02:56 PM   #750
Mr.Bluster

I'm rich

Took a look at that GunBroker auction referenced above. $765 is pretty good for a N.I.B. gun that retailed at $639 in the 2012 catalog (and catalog prices are always on the high side. You could get them for about $550). I'm not worried; .32 is plenty available (mainly from European manufacturers). I'm guessing that Ruger reopens the line in a year or two.

Last edited by Mr.Bluster; January 12, 2013 at 02:57 PM. Reason: clarification