The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old January 7, 2006, 09:07 PM   #1
Old Nick

Rem 870 disassembly - newbie

Hi, I just joined the Forum today, so please let me know if I make any blunders.

I'm trying to disassemble my 870, but can't unscrew the magazine extension tube coupling. Any suggestions appreciated.
Old January 7, 2006, 11:14 PM   #2
mathman

Did you take out the screw that tightens the clamp to the barrel? After you do that, you should be able to slide off the clamp and then unscrew the extention.
Old January 8, 2006, 02:22 AM   #3
Old Nick

Rem 870 disassembly - newbie

I don't see a screw near the coupling. Do you mean the one near the front of the barrel and mag extension tube? Does the whole extension tube turn?

Just asked my SIL (USMC Cpl). He says he took out the screw and removed the clamp, but was unable to remove the extension.

Last edited by Old Nick; January 8, 2006 at 02:29 AM. Reason: additional info
Old January 8, 2006, 09:04 AM   #4
Ruger4570

I am not sure what extension screw you are talking about. The one tah lets you remove the barrel?? I don't know if the magazine tube is easily removed, I have never even tried to remove mine so I can't comment on removal. You should be able to get instructions from either Remington Customer Service or possibly on their web site too. Good luck
Old January 8, 2006, 09:57 AM   #5
Nortonics

Me thinks he means the magazine tube end-cap. Ya know, so he can the the forearm off. I've seen those buggers cranked on pretty tight sometimes.

If that's what you're talking about Old Nick, just put a rag around it and use the ol' vice-grip to get it loose.
Old January 8, 2006, 11:39 AM   #6
Ruger4570

What Nortronic said, maybe soak it in Kerosene or Pennetrating oil for a night.
Good luck, but it should come off, just be careful not to bugger up the cap, but if you do, there are replacements available.
Old January 8, 2006, 11:57 AM   #7
LuckyATB

forearm removal

I myself am brand-new to the shotgun world, having just bought a 1972 Wingmaster for HD. I had a similar problem getting the tube end-cap off, but with enough force finally "cracked the seal". However, I'm baffled how to get the forearm itself off...I was given an instruction manual for a new express, figuring it would be the same, and am stuck on "depress and hold the left shell latch". It also states "the top right edge of the slide may bind on the bottom front edge of the ejection port in the receiver. To free the slide, push the front end of the bolt down."

From just looking at the gun after readin words in a pamphlet, I can't see how this relates to what I'm looking at...I can't even find an apparent "left shell latch". Is this the kind of thing you have to see done?
Old January 8, 2006, 02:25 PM   #8
Dfariswheel

Old Nick:
Here's how to disassemble the extension:
Unscrew and remove the screw that passes through the barrel clamp.

Slide the barrel clamp forward and off the gun.

Unscrew the magazine extension TUBE. It should come loose with no trouble. If it doesn't use a plastic strap wrench to help break it loose.

BE CAREFUL. As you unscrew and remove the magazine extension tube, this will free the powerful magazine spring, and it will try to force it's way out with great force.

With the magazine extension tube off, remove the magazine spring.

Unscrew the magazine extension coupling nut from the end of the gun's magazine tube.
Often these coupling's are tightened too tightly, so you may need to use a pair of WELL PADDED pliers to grip it and unscrew it.

With the coupling nut off, you remove the barrel.
The rest of the gun comes apart in the normal way.

When reassembling the extension assembly, tighten the coupling down snug, then turn it one more notch to snug it tight. DO NOT OVER TIGHTEN.

When replacing the magazine extension tube, just screw it in until it JUST contacts the gun's magazine tube.
DO NOT OVER TIGHTEN. This can cause misalignment between the extension tube and the gun's tube.
The barrel clamp will prevent the extension tube from coming unscrewed.
Old January 8, 2006, 02:34 PM   #9
Dfariswheel

LuckyATB

Here's a link to Remington.
Notice that you can get an online owner's manual.
This actually shows how to disassemble the 870, including where the shell releases are:
http://www.remington.com/support/par...schematics.asp

Here's a somewhat better illustrated look that shows actual pictures of disassembly including major disassembly of the trigger group.

I DO NOT recommend disassembling the trigger group and bolt unless absolutely necessary. Unless you need to replace parts, there's no reason to do so, and you run the risk of damaging or loosing parts.

Also DO NOT REMOVE THE SHELL LATCHES AS SHOWN. These are staked in place at the factory and removing them will probably cause the gun to fail to feed correctly. Again DO NOT remove the latches.

http://refugeforums.com/refuge/showt...threadid=66406
Old January 8, 2006, 03:42 PM   #10
LuckyATB

wow, great link...thanks
Old January 8, 2006, 05:56 PM   #11
Old Nick

Great web sites! MSDuckmen's descriptions and pics of detail stripping are very well done. Thanks for the links.
Old January 8, 2006, 07:09 PM   #12
Ruger4570

Dfariswheel as usual has said what is required to do a simple takedown, which is as far as you should go without some real knowledge. One thing I have noticed. if for some reason the shell latches fall out of the gun, don't panic.. it is not all that uncommon for the staking not to hold them in place. Any well equiped gunsmith can re stake them at a minimal charge. I have had this happen to me more than one time, unfortunatly, I almost bought a staking tool from Brownells. Just be a litte gentle with them dissasembling and assembling. In fact, the gun will usually work even if they get unstaked.
Old January 10, 2006, 11:20 PM   #13
Hello123

You need a special tool to get the forend off the front slide. You can get it from midway or brownells. Don't try to do it without the tool or the wood on the forend will break. You can get the same tool on ebay for about twenty dollars.

http://www.midwayusa.com/rewriteaproduct/359908