The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old December 30, 2005, 11:20 PM   #1
BusGunner007

WINCHESTER 1300 for a couple of reasons...

I've recommended to a friend that his next acquisition be a 12-ga. pump shotgun, as he doesn't yet have a shotgun.

The reasons I made this suggestion are twofold:
1. The cost of the gun is a little less than the Remington 870.
2. The location of the safety fits in with his other guns --- Ruger 10/22; Ruger Mini-14; SKS. Being at the front of the triggerguard will help him instinctively with the operation of the gun.

Are there any particulars to look at in the Winchester 1300 design?
Old December 31, 2005, 03:37 AM   #2
Twycross

What exactly are you asking for? Safety concerns? More unique features? Things he might not like?
Old December 31, 2005, 03:38 AM   #3
InSoMNiaX23

My buddy has one and I recently got a chance to watch him take it apart to clean it. I was impressed with the rotating bolt design. I don't remember how many lugs there were on it, but it looked like it locked into the barrel in about 5 or so places. I don't know how big of an advantage this is, but since it was more complex than the bolt on my 870 it caught my eye. This friend of mine's gun was bought new several years back so I don't know if Winchester includes them anymore, but the choke tubes that came with his are all extended versus the flush fitting ones that a lot of other guns on the market come with. Those are the two biggest things that jumped out at me. Hope I could help.
Old December 31, 2005, 09:16 PM   #4
BusGunner007

I'm just wondering if 1300 owners LIKE the gun.

Does the 'speed pump' feature make it better or more fun?
Is it reliable?
Is it prone to certain problems or superior in any way over the 870?
Has anyone made it their 'combat shotgun' by adding accessories?
Got pix?

That sort of thing...
Old January 1, 2006, 08:08 AM   #5
95gtman

Quote:
I'm just wondering if 1300 owners LIKE the gun.

Does the 'speed pump' feature make it better or more fun?
Is it reliable?
Is it prone to certain problems or superior in any way over the 870?
Has anyone made it their 'combat shotgun' by adding accessories?
Got pix?

That sort of thing...

I really like my 1300. Honestly though I don't think it offers anything over an 870 or 500/590. It is lighter than the 870 so recoil is alot noticable. There is alot of assecories for it, but there are more for the 870 and 500/590. I should have some pics of mine in the next for weeks when I get everything for mine together and get them installed.
Old January 1, 2006, 12:10 PM   #6
Badger71

The 1300 is a great piece. That being said, have your friend go to the store and handle a Mossy, Rem, or Win. I liked the Rem for it's weight but found the gun to be a little small in my arms.....like a toy. The 1300 sat longer in my arms which felt more comfortable with me. I used to have a Moss 500 and it never failed me either. The Speed Pump feature is pretty cool, but if you're a skilled shotgun shooter already then it's not necessary. Still cool, though.

As far a "tricking" out the 1300, their aren't too many options for that. For me personally, that was fine. I like keeping my weapons stock since I live in Kalifornia. Too many lawyers looking to make a name for themself our here, if you know what I mean.
Old January 1, 2006, 01:06 PM   #7
Twycross

Yup, I like my 1300. As mentioned, it is lighter than the 870, but I consider that an advantage, because I hunt a lot of steep country, so the less burdensome the gun the better. The speed pump, IMHO, does make for a slightly faster action, but the speed gain is marginal enough to be negligable for most practical purposes. As far as reliability goes, it about as good as shotguns go, provided you take care of it.

For toys and add-ons, the 1300 has a lot out there, but the 870 and 500 have a definate edge. If you want to trick a shotgun out, go with the 870.

Oh, and it only has four locking lugs. It looks like it should have 6, but there are only four. At least on mine.
Old January 1, 2006, 07:39 PM   #8
BusGunner007

Thanks, Gents.
Old January 1, 2006, 08:57 PM   #9
XavierBreath

I just bought another Winchester 1300, my third one.

Actually, the synthetic stocked one is a Winnie 1200, but it's basically the same gun with a 2&3/4 chamber.
For most people I believe the placement of the controls on the Mossberg is superior. The slide release button on the Winchester is a bit small. The shooter must take his finger off the trigger to engage/disengage the safety. The early 1300s have metal trigger guards/trigger groups, the later ones have plastic.

For me, the Winchester is the best handling and best feeling shotgun. Mine are fantastic performers and I ride them hard. I bought the lower two for under $100 each at pawn shops, the upper one for $160 at a pawnshop. It came with the 7 round magazine, sidesaddle and heatshield. I could not pass that up.
Old January 10, 2006, 02:12 AM   #10
63Belair

1300 toys

I just picked up a 1300 2 days ago (20) do you guys have any suggestions for good places to buy add ons for it? I'm not sure what i want to do (if anything) but it is always fun to look!
Old January 10, 2006, 07:07 AM   #11
95gtman

I recommend the Knoxx specops stock with the shell holder and a hogue forend. It canbe had from here. www.knoxx.com