The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > NFA Guns and Gear

Old October 2, 2015, 11:47 PM   #1
9x18_Walther

Suppressor Ideas

All,

I don't know too much about suppressors except for the fact that I want one.

Likely would mount it to a Sig MK25, CZ 75, HK45C, Beretta 92, Kimber Desert Warrior, or hell even a HK Mark 23 (too many choices for my next purchase). Any suggestions? Why do people buy 9mm suppressors when I hear .45 ACP suppressors work for both calibers?
Old October 3, 2015, 12:12 AM   #2
Theohazard

The advantage of 9mm silencers is that they're smaller and they're usually slightly quieter with 9mm than 9mm silencers are. The exception is when the manufacturer offers 9mm endcaps for their .45 silencers; with a 9mm endcap a .45 silencer is usually quieter when shooting 9mm than its 9mm counterpart.

My two favorite .45 silencers are the SilencerCo Octane 45 and the AAC Ti-Rant 45M. The Octane is a little stronger and has more mounting options, and it has baffles that are all made of stainless steel and easier to clean. Also, SilencerCo sells the 9mm Octane endcap, but AAC doesn't sell a 9mm endcap for the Ti-Rant 45M.

The Ti-Rant doesn't have a factory 300 Blackout mount or a tri-lug mount available (there is a Texas company that makes a 5/8x24 300 BO mount for it), but it has a really cool modular design: Normally it's fairly long, but you can remove the end of it so it's shorter than a 9mm silencer. This makes it great for a home-defense can; use the shorter configuration for manuverability and the longer version for recreational shooting.

Both of those silencers have mounts avaliable to use on any of the hosts you mentioned.
Old October 3, 2015, 11:33 AM   #3
Sharkbite

As usual Theo NAILED it.

I have a Octane 45 can that i shoot on 9, 40 and 45. I much prefer it on the 9mm guns. I dont (yet) have a 9mm endcap, but the can is plenty quiet as is.

The ability to use it on so many different calibers more then makes up for the increase in size over a dedicated 9mm can. Especially if this is your first (only) can.

If you want a second can then look at one of the specialty versions. I bought a TiRant 9S (small version) as a HD can. It is louder then the Octane, but thats the trade off for the small size.