The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > NFA Guns and Gear

Old October 27, 2015, 09:21 PM   #1
Doc Holliday 1950

suppressor

Does anyone make a suppressor for a GP 100 4"???

Does anyone make a suppressor for a Rossi 2" 357????

I would greatly appreciate any help on this.

I don't live far enough into the country to just go out and shoot target practice without bothering anyone. I can shoot anywhere on my property here, but i do not want to get my neighbors in an uproar.

Doc
Old October 27, 2015, 09:59 PM   #2
Theohazard

Any 9mm or .45 silencer that's strong enough would work on a .357 if the barrel was threaded. And any 9mm or .45 silencer would work with .38 Special. That said, nobody makes threaded barrel revolvers that I know of, so you'd have to get the barrel threaded. And then it would still be a lot louder than the equivalent semi-auto due to all the gasses escaping at the cylinder/barrel gap.

For that reason, virtually nobody puts silencers on revolvers. I'm somewhat of a silencer enthusiast, and the only suppressed revolver I've ever seen was a Nagant revolver with an AWC silencer on it, and that revolver is unique in that the cylinder moves forward against the forcing cone when firing. That movement, combined with ammo that has an extra-long case that seals to the forcing cone, allows the Nagant's barrel/cylinder gap to seal during firing. The original purpose of this was to increase muzzle velocity, but it also allows the Nagant to work fairly well as a silencer host once you thread it.

Over the years, various governments have experimented with custom silenced revolvers; the thinking was that if you could minimize the blast coming out of the barrel/cylinder gap, you'd have a suppressed weapon that didn't have the action noise or ejection of a semi-auto pistol. These custom revolvers often had shrouded cylinder/barrel gaps or cylinders that moved forward like the Nagant. But these never really caught on, and that's why pretty much no one uses suppressed revolvers these days unless they have a Nagant revolver with a threaded barrel and they can find/make ammo for it.

And if you have a semi-auto with a silencer and you want to be extra-quiet, just hold your support thumb securely against the back of the slide. On most locked-breech semi-autos, this takes less pressure than you think and it doesn't hurt at all. When I do it with my Glock 19 the action stays locked and my thumb is fine.
Old October 27, 2015, 10:01 PM   #3
OcSpeed

about the only revolver you can suppress is one of those nagant revolvers as the chamber seals while the trigger is depressed.
Old October 27, 2015, 10:18 PM   #4
Doc Holliday 1950

Thanks Guys. I realize that the question that I asked was wrong.
Please don't answer this any more. I really goofed up on this question.
Doc
Old October 27, 2015, 10:47 PM   #5
skizzums

don't feel like you goofed on the question or made a @ss of yourself. the only reason I was able to provide you the info in my message was because of the MANY others that asked the exact same question as you. that made me research and learn about it. like the models I showed, it's not impossible, just a very pricey endeavor. the cheapest being the Nagant revolver. but even still you are faced with the problem of cutting back the frame to expose the barrel, or finding a longer barrel and then the issue with the sights, or the example I showed had entirely custom built frame/barrel assemblies. you COULD be THAT guy and have one of the very few suppressed GP100's and live forever in internet banter, but it will likely require a second mortgage or the sale of the BMW that nobody is using anyway.

but it's a common question and I am sure I asked it myself before I was schooled by the masters here on TFL

to the others: I am curious as well if the only issue with the gap is sound, or would it also create dangerous blow-back through the gap? does anyone know just how much sound is getting through the gap? its hard to quantify and since there really aren't any examples, it's hard to know what the effect would be. that doesn't change the fact that the work involved in doing period is pretty over the top, quiet or not.

Last edited by skizzums; October 27, 2015 at 10:52 PM.
Old October 28, 2015, 12:04 AM   #6
Theohazard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc Holliday 1950
Thanks Guys. I realize that the question that I asked was wrong.
Please don't answer this any more. I really goofed up on this question.
No, your question was a perfectly good one. You didn't goof up or ask a wrong question, you asked a perfectly valid question.

I've always wanted to hear first-hand what a traditional revolver with a silencer on it sounded like. Some day I'd like to find a cheap .38 or .357, thread it, put my Octane 9 silencer on it, and shoot subsonic .38s through it. Until then, I'll just have to rely on others' testimonials on what it sounds like.

One of those testimonials is from TFL mod Mike Irwin, who has experience firing a suppressed .357 revolver. He said with .357 ammo the noise through the barrel/cylinder gap was about as loud as an unsuppressed .22 Magnum pistol, and with .38 ammo the noise through the gap was about as loud as an unsuppressed .22 LR pistol.
Old October 28, 2015, 05:35 AM   #7
Mike Irwin
Staff

You'd probably be a lot better off not suppressing the gun, but picking a shooting location and taking steps to contain and muffle the blast.

I've seen various plans/write ups from people who have built small shooting shelters that are lined with sound absorbing materials like carpet and foam, and others who have built "shooting tubes" out of tires or large pipe that is similarly lined.

It won't completely deal with the noise, but it will sufficiently muffle it to the point where it might not bother your neighbors.

Here's a good discussion from Shooters Forum from some years ago on the subject.

https://www.shootersforum.com/genera...nge-noise.html

Baby Jesus cries when the fat redneck doesn't have military-grade firepower.
Old October 28, 2015, 08:40 PM   #8
James K
Member In Memoriam

Dummy suppressors often showed up on revolvers in the movies because a light charge could be used and the gun still function for repeat shots, where an auto pistol firing blanks made too much noise. But in the digital era, blanks are about gone and a dummy gun can be used.

Jim
Old October 29, 2015, 09:23 AM   #9
Doc Holliday 1950

Thanks everyone for your answers.
Doc