The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old January 27, 2019, 09:10 PM   #1
AKolomiets

7.62x54R Neck Sizing

I’m looking at reloading ammo for a mosin nagant 7.62x54r. Does anyone know of a sizing die that will resize case necks to .310/.312? Only ones I’ve come across are meant for .308 bullets
Old January 27, 2019, 11:00 PM   #2
tangolima

Lee's collet neck die has a mandrel to determine the neck's inner diameter. You can order differ mandrel to cater for your bullet diameter.

I haven't used other brands of neck dies. I read they don't have such mandrel or expander ball. There are 2 ways to deal with the issue, I suppose. You can send the die to the manufacturer to have the neck honed larger. Some manufacturers do that for a fee and some don't. The order is to turn the brass' neck wall thinner. When comes to think about using this sort of neck dies, I would turn the neck anyway to ensure uniform neck wall thickness.

-TL

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk
Old January 28, 2019, 09:15 AM   #3
kilotanker22

I would Personally buy a set of RCBS FL dies. You can still neck size on the RCBS FL dies. It takes a little time to get the die set, but you can definitely neck size without bumping the shoulder or case body. That Die I would assume has the size expander that you want anyway.

To each their own, but that way you would also have a full length die. Without the costs associated with buying more than one die.
Old January 29, 2019, 03:00 AM   #4
44 AMP
Staff

Quote:
Does anyone know of a sizing die that will resize case necks to .310/.312?
To be precise, the die will size the neck down smaller, and then when withdrawing the case from the die the expander ball will "open" it back up. So about any quality die will do, provided it has the right diameter expander for the bullets you intend to use.

You might call RCBS or Lee or whom ever's die you are considering and ask what size expander comes with the set.

I do find it a bit odd, that you see 7.62x54R sets with .308" expanders, all the x54R rifles I can think of are all .311-.312" (nominal).

I've heard the Ruger Mini-30 uses .308" bullets and some 7.62x39mm dies are set up for this, but its not something I have personal experience with.
Old January 29, 2019, 04:44 AM   #5
tangolima

For some reason I thought the OP was interested in neck dies. For FL resizing die, as 44amp has put it, it depends on the expander ball diameter. Again one can order the expander ball from the die manufacturer if he needs one for bigger bullet diameter.

-TL

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk
Old January 29, 2019, 08:26 PM   #6
res45

when I started reloading for my Mosin rifles I just bought the RCBS FL die set. It comes with both the .308 an .311 expanders.

The Lee 54r dies come with the .308 expander but you can order the .303B expander rod for larger dia. jacketed bullet for a couple extra dollars.

Either one of these die sets will neck and bump the shoulder just by adjusting the die body up higher in the press.