The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Semi-automatics

View Poll Results: Bumps stocks ??
I love them, I don't want anyone banning them, they're awesome. 8 4.79%
I don't like or dislike, but don't ban them, for the folks who enjoy them. 79 47.31%
I think they're worthless crap, and don' care if they're banned or not. 68 40.72%
They're a menace to society and should absolutely be banned. Now. 12 7.19%
Voters: 167. You may not vote on this poll

Old March 2, 2018, 02:59 PM   #26
rwilson452

The poll didn't have the answer I wanted. I thunk they are crap but some people like to play with them. Have at it. I'm an accuracy nut. I don't see how you can be accurate with one.
Old March 2, 2018, 03:03 PM   #27
ttarp

Quote:
those full-auto gimmick bump stocks in the hands of irresponsible range clowns were destine to bring negative heat upon us right from the beginning, and the did just that.
Not sure, no scratch that. Definitely sure a homicidal maniac, and range clown are not in the same category.
Old March 2, 2018, 03:19 PM   #28
TrueBlue711

Quote:
those full-auto gimmick bump stocks in the hands of irresponsible range clowns were destine to bring negative heat upon us right from the beginning, and the did just that.
Do you have a news article I haven't seen yet? The only bad incident involving bump stocks I've seen or heard about since their creation was the Vegas shooting. I could be wrong.
Old March 2, 2018, 05:02 PM   #29
Sevens

Quote:
I'm an accuracy nut. I don't see how you can be accurate with one.
A few things surprised me on the day my buddy brought his out and we started shooting. Biggest surprise was price especially compared to what ya got. Works, but even more simple than I could have guessed. Second biggest surprise was that they had a solid lock-out and it works. While it is absolutely NOT likely your top choice in an AR stock for ergos or comfort, there is nothing much about it that will destroy accuracy -IF- you have it locked out. (assuming you haven't cooked your barrel hahaha)
Old March 2, 2018, 05:57 PM   #30
Skans

Quote:
They’re a waste of time and money.
You know, I hear a lot of people say bump stocks are a waste of time and money. If this were true, they wouldn't be able to inflict as much damages as they have. Either they are useless or work too good. It can't be both. My thinking is that it is the latter.

While I do not own a bumpstock, I do have an Echo trigger. If you want to fire at near-full-auto rates, it works. If you want to fast, accuate double-shot it works! If you let them ban bump stocks, I fear these triggers will be next or even included. Anyone who claims these triggers are "useless" hasn't used or practiced with one.
Old March 2, 2018, 06:13 PM   #31
Danoobie

The NFA of 1934 effectively did away with full-auto fire. It was a right which was taxed away from us. Our 2A rights were infringed, at that time. Nobody seems concerned with that,
but this gimmicky, inaccurate infringement workaround has everybody up in a huff?

If you want auto fire (full auto, as opposed to full semi auto) then get that right restored.
Bump fire is a jerry-rig, to begin with, as well as inaccurate, also a full-auto workaround.
Old March 2, 2018, 06:55 PM   #32
Hawg

I never really wanted one or an AR either for that matter but if we give in on them what's next? All giving them up is going to do is inflate the libs already overinflated egos and make them go after something else because they think they have us where they want us and if they got the bump stocks they can get more.
Old March 2, 2018, 10:28 PM   #33
chrisp51

I have one and use it on my S&W M&P 15-22. I admit that it is strictly a range toy but using it once in a while does put a smile on my face. On the .22 it is easy to control. I once put it on my 9mm AR but it was pretty uncontrolable and a big waste of ammo. If you have ever wanted full auto this device gives you the illusion of shooting a machine gun. I don't want to give it up but I would if compensated. It was legal when I purchased it so if its banned I should be paid to turn it in. If they are grandfathered I will keep mine for the fun factor.
Old March 3, 2018, 09:55 AM   #34
davidsog

I look at bump stocks and am reminded of PT Barnum...

"There is a sucker born every minute."
Old March 3, 2018, 10:25 AM   #35
Don Fischer

Couldn't give me a bump stock! I watched a video of some guy shooting one on youtube. Appeared to be auto fire to me. This garbage about not giving up bump stock's is just that, garbage. It appears that it need's a black rifle of some type to fire it, would it work on a 7400? So the only thing I can see them for is to either just waste ammo or to intimidate people. We don't need them. If we have to fight the government over our right's, save it for something meaningful! I would vote to dump the thing if I were in government!
Old March 3, 2018, 10:37 AM   #36
Reloadron

Personally I have no use for a bump stock, trigger or anything else bump on any of my guns. The problem as I see it is pretty simple in that every time the shooting community has given up a right the anti-gun community is back at the door in short order looking to remove another right. Eventually we will no longer have any rights for the bast.... to take. My father's words to me as a kid still echo, "Ronald, I give you an inch and you take a mile". He was correct and I see the anti-gun community as me when I was a child. Every time a right was usurped they return looking for more. This is why I oppose them, they will never be happy until we are all reduced to muskets.

Ron
Old March 3, 2018, 01:04 PM   #37
T. O'Heir

Outlawing of bump stocks is just another nibble by the anti-firearms gangs. Even if bump stocks are a colossal waste of time and money. I thought your ATF had already made a law by regulation about 'em.
Old March 3, 2018, 09:56 PM   #38
wild cat mccane

Slippery slope logic doesn't apply in court as it is a logical fallacy. To some, it applies to every reasonable gun control idea.

(AWB happened and you can still buy AR-15s, so...slippery slope was disproved by history)
Old March 4, 2018, 01:33 AM   #39
JoeSixpack

I don't own one but I don't know how they'll word it to narrowly have the effect they want.

I don't want them banned, Although I gotta be honest a part of me hopes the ban attempts are wildly successful and are far reaching so we can finally have the end all be all argument on guns.. Im getting tried of the same debates wrapped in different wording.

Honestly though? If I had to guess.. not much of anything will happen.
Banning bump stocks was all the rage after LV, then it went away.. now we're talking about them again even though the FL shooting had nothing to do with them.

Go ahead and ban everything, Least then everyone will have skin in the game.. Im sick of the internal debates based on peoples own preferences and ownership habits.
Old March 4, 2018, 08:10 AM   #40
Reloadron

Something interesting as states rush to pass feel good do nothing legislation. I live in the greater Cleveland, Ohio suburbs. Cleveland is home to not only the Cleveland Browns who have mustered one win in their last 32 games but also boast the fifth highest homicide rate in the US. I can't recall when the last homicide was committed with a so called assault weapon let alone one with a bump trigger or bump stock.

Every now and then we have a mass shooting where an AR type rifle is used but the reality is the AR type rifles in general are responsible for less than 2% of gun related crime in the US. When the Clinton Administration railroaded through their infamous assault weapons ban it was a massive failure for obvious reasons. I am sorry but I see the people promoting this nonsense of banning things as a collection of fools who are clueless how to address the real problems.

Ron
Old March 4, 2018, 08:45 AM   #41
MarkCO

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwilson452 View Post
The poll didn't have the answer I wanted. I thunk they are crap but some people like to play with them. Have at it. I'm an accuracy nut. I don't see how you can be accurate with one.
Agree!

From a strict reading of the Constitution, they should not be banned. But then same with many other articles.

From a strict engineering perspective, they are a loophole around imperfect language on the regulations of machine gun firing that failed to recognize their eventual development.

From a perspective as a sport shooter, useless gimmick.

From a perspective of self defense, a dangerous and irresponsible gimmick.

From a perspective of repelling a mass attack, for many people, probably not a bad solution.
Old March 4, 2018, 09:56 AM   #42
Guv

I totally agree with Road_Clam.
Another similar situation that I feel hurts the rights of hunters is the guys who leave the tail gate down and drive around with the dead deer in the bed in full view.
Things like this really get the opposition spun up, helps no one.
Gives our kids (who shoot and hunt) more to deal with!
Old March 4, 2018, 09:59 AM   #43
Guv

Deleted
Old March 4, 2018, 10:06 AM   #44
GarandTd

MarkCO, my thoughts exactly.

How about a real problem like pharmaceutical companies flooding the streets with addictive narcotics and then "double dipping" by selling the O.D. anecdote while the government and insurance companies leave the general public to foot the bill for the addicts and their total disregard for life............

Sorry. This is a firearms forum. I should stay on topic, but there are bigger issues being ignored.
Old March 4, 2018, 01:18 PM   #45
JeepHammer

Piece of crap only used by armchair 'Rambos' that waste ammo and never had the sack to join the military.
Old March 4, 2018, 07:57 PM   #46
dgludwig

Quote:
Quote:
They’re a waste of time and money.
Don't be so quick to judge. Have you tried one for hunting squirrels?
Old March 4, 2018, 08:33 PM   #47
Kvon2

I'm fine with a bump stock ban, not fine with a vaguely worded "rate increasing device" ban.

Bump stocks are the result of the cat and mouse game manufacturers have been playing with the Feds for a long time. If I owned a range, specifically an indoor range, no bump stocks would be welcomed. Range equipment is too expensive to replace.
Old March 4, 2018, 09:09 PM   #48
K_Mac

Quote:
Don't be so quick to judge. Have you tried one for hunting squirrels?
That is hilarious! Thanks for the laugh.
Old March 5, 2018, 09:23 AM   #49
MarkCO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kvon2 View Post
I'm fine with a bump stock ban, not fine with a vaguely worded "rate increasing device" ban.

Bump stocks are the result of the cat and mouse game manufacturers have been playing with the Feds for a long time. If I owned a range, specifically an indoor range, no bump stocks would be welcomed. Range equipment is too expensive to replace.
My home range prohibited bump-stocks, bump firing, binary triggers quite some time ago.
Old March 5, 2018, 09:45 AM   #50
Bartholomew Roberts

Quote:
It appears that it need's a black rifle of some type to fire it, would it work on a 7400?
You don’t even need a bumpstick to bumpfire a 7400. Basically, the more it recoils, the easier it is to bumpfire. About the only semi-auto firearm I can think of that can’t be bumpfired is something like a Model 60 or 10/22 (light recoil for their size). You might even be able to bumpfire those if you got them light enough.

Which brings us to the tricky part... for all of you saying “ban bumpstocks”, write a law that bans bumpstocks but doesn’t endanger semi-automatic firearms (i.e. about half of the 330 million firearms in the U.S.).