The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > Law and Civil Rights

Old November 6, 2014, 05:43 PM   #76
cjwils

Hi Steve 4102: I live in Washington state, and if NRA dumped money into this fight, I did not see a dime's worth. I read the papers, watch broadcast TV, and drive around on a regular bases. NRA was not on regular TV. They had no advertizing that I saw; not in the papers, not on billboards, nothing that I saw anywhere. If they spent money here, they were grossly unintelligent about it.
Old November 6, 2014, 06:42 PM   #77
steve4102

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjwils
Hi Steve 4102: I live in Washington state, and if NRA dumped money into this fight, I did not see a dime's worth. I read the papers, watch broadcast TV, and drive around on a regular bases. NRA was not on regular TV. They had no advertizing that I saw; not in the papers, not on billboards, nothing that I saw anywhere. If they spent money here, they were grossly unintelligent about it.
Just because the NRA Logo was not plastered all over hell does not mean they were not there. Before you go bitching about the NRA and how they do or do not spend their money, check out their web site for updates.

https://www.pdc.wa.gov/rptimg/defaul...mber=100607498

http://blogs.seattletimes.com/politi...-594-campaign/

Might want to tell all your friends that stayed home on election day that , Hey, the NRA was there, where were you.
Old November 6, 2014, 07:31 PM   #78
cjwils

In order to get out the vote, the public must be able to see and hear something, but there was nothing to see and hear from NRA. At least not in the most populous part of the state, and not on the state's biggest media. NRA's money bought nothing that mattered as far as I could tell. I stand by what I said above. I am not trying to argue with Steve4102. I am simply stating the obvious.
Old November 6, 2014, 07:33 PM   #79
RampantAndroid

I live on the East side; all I ever saw were NO 594/YES 591 signs. Not a peep on TV...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Servo
Hopefully that's the case. If so, they'll be able to make a big impact with less expenditure. I'd like to know what grounds they'll be suing on.
While I hope the NRA helps defeat it, the bigger problem is that 594 will snowball now into other states. Stopping it here MAY have stopped any momentum Bloomberg had along the initiative lines. Or at least slowed him some. Instead, it passed 60/40 and will now go infect other states.
Old November 6, 2014, 07:49 PM   #80
Tom Servo
Staff

Quote:
NRA's money bought nothing that mattered as far as I could tell.
That money doesn't appear out of thin air. It comes from direct donations, and it's not unlimited.

The plain fact is, Steve Ballmer, Bill Gates, and of course, Michael Bloomberg poured millions of dollars into I-594. They had more money, and that was their sole focus.

On the other hand, the ILA has a smaller budget, and they were spread thin with Senate and Governor's races across the country.
Old November 6, 2014, 07:52 PM   #81
steve4102

NRA Contributions are sometime hidden as they donate to local organizations.

Just because you do not see the NRA logo, does not mean they are not there.

http://www.komonews.com/news/local/N...279215002.html

The problem was not the NRA or any other Pro-Gun Rights organization NOT doing enough. The problem was/is the gun owners of WA not getting off their couches and voting this damn thing down.

Blame the NRA if you want, but a 36% turn out is about as pathetic as it can get when YOUR second amendments rights are on the line. The gun owners of WA need to look in the Mirror not blame the NRA for abandoning them, they abandoned themselves.
Old November 6, 2014, 08:12 PM   #82
cjwils

For those of you who do not watch TV in Washington state, let me summarize what we saw here. Ads funded by a handfull of billionaires in favor of I-594 ran over and over and over and over on every major TV station for weeks in advance. I don't recall seeing even one ad against I-594. If any ads against did run, they were very scarce and not on major programs at key times. I think NRA is the only orgainization that could have come up with enough money to provide a meaningful counter punch to the billioraires, but they didn't. Now the billionairs smell blood, and they may visit your state next.
Old November 6, 2014, 08:57 PM   #83
Tom Servo
Staff

Quote:
I don't recall seeing even one ad against I-594. If any ads against did run, they were very scarce and not on major programs at key times.
So, because they didn't have ads running on the prime-time networks, they weren't doing anything?

Let's consider the cost of making the ad and the cost of getting it aired. Could that money be better spent getting the base mobilized, running interference with politicians, and preparing legal action?

Then there's the question of finding a network willing to run their ads. In Washington state.

Quote:
Blame the NRA if you want, but a 36% turn out is about as pathetic as it can get when YOUR second amendments rights are on the line.
Anything over 25-27% is considered a decent turnout. It says something sad for our civic involvement in general, but those are the numbers. 36% is actually pretty good.
Old November 6, 2014, 09:04 PM   #84
militant

So let me get this straight. If I'm shooting in Washington, and let my buddy at the range shoot my gun, that is a crime?
Old November 6, 2014, 09:14 PM   #85
hartcreek

I am in the Yakima area and there were televised ads that supported the competing iniative. What you all need to remember is that this was a low voter turn out election and in any election it is hard to beat anything that the Seattle sheep want simply because of the body count.
Old November 6, 2014, 10:22 PM   #86
Tom Servo
Staff

Quote:
If I'm shooting in Washington, and let my buddy at the range shoot my gun, that is a crime?
Yes. First offense is a gross misdemeanor. Second offense is a felony.

Who wants to hazard a guess how many people know that?

This is a horrible law, and I understand tempers running high. That said, let's dial back on the strong language and broad generalizations of people.
Old November 6, 2014, 10:28 PM   #87
militant

I will no longer be shooting in Washington.
Old November 7, 2014, 12:13 AM   #88
dakota.potts

I thought a sanctioned shooting range was an exemption?

Not that that's any better, of course.
Old November 7, 2014, 01:52 AM   #89
makarov

The biggest problem I can see after reading the entire text of the initiative is the idea of a temporary transfer including letting someone shoot your gun whether it is at a range or not. It *appears* that if the other person is either your spouse or under 18 and it is for "educational" purposes you are OK, but if the other person is over 18 it isn't clear. If the short term loan was at a competition it also appears to be OK. I see this as being one of the first areas to come under scrutiny. If the gun is not in your possession, but you aren't giving it to them either it should not be considered a "transfer". Especially if you are there supervising it shouldn't matter whether they are over 18. Below is a copy of the relevant text from sos.wa.gov

Cases where it does NOT apply:

(f) The temporary transfer of a firearm (i) between spouses or
domestic partners; (ii) if the temporary transfer occurs, and the
firearm is kept at all times, at an established shooting range
authorized by the governing body of the jurisdiction in which such
range is located; (iii) if the temporary transfer occurs and the
transferee's possession of the firearm is exclusively at a lawful
organized competition involving the use of a firearm, or while
participating in or practicing for a performance by an organized group
that uses firearms as a part of the performance; (iv) to a person who
is under eighteen years of age for lawful hunting, sporting, or
educational purposes while under the direct supervision and control of
a responsible adult who is not prohibited from possessing firearms; or
(v) while hunting if the hunting is legal in all places where the
person to whom the firearm is transferred possesses the firearm and
the person to whom the firearm is transferred has completed all
training and holds all licenses or permits required for such hunting,
provided that any temporary transfer allowed by this subsection is
permitted only if the person to whom the firearm is transferred is not
prohibited from possessing firearms under state or federal law; or
Old November 7, 2014, 02:54 AM   #90
steve4102

Quote:
Originally Posted by dakota.potts
I thought a sanctioned shooting range was an exemption?
Only if

the firearm is kept at all times, at an established shooting range
authorized by the governing body of the jurisdiction in which such
range is located;
Old November 7, 2014, 05:28 AM   #91
hartcreek

I just happen to have two of the mailers sitting here.

PO Box 21712, Seattle, WA 98111 is the mailing address.

The top five contributors were Nicolas Hanauer, Every Town for Gun Safety Action Fund, William Gates III, Melinda Gates, Paul Allen

All of them from Seattle area

Susan Segall from Seattle and Don Pierce of Belligham then Paul Warden of the puny town of Prosser were the three faces on the mailers.

The majority of police chiefs supported the opposing bill.

The bill only passed in 11 counties of the state all on the West side.

We Eastsiders have been trying to deal with the West side for deckades but we keep getting overrun.

25% voter turn out is pathetic especially since all one has to do in this state is to fill it out and mail it in
Old November 7, 2014, 06:07 AM   #92
RampantAndroid

Don't worry; with Apple coming to Seattle, King county will rule the state....
Old November 7, 2014, 08:39 AM   #93
steve4102

Looks like Nevada is next on their list. Gathering signatures as early as next week.

http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/politi...res/ar-AA6UJPg
Old November 7, 2014, 11:00 AM   #94
44 AMP
Staff

I live on the east side, and I know Prosser. its not "puny", despite not having a large population. Prosser is trying hard to become a wealthy "upscale" community (complete with west side liberal attitudes), thanks to the growth of the wine industry and the money that brings in.

Where we used to have a diner, we now have a bistro (with prices to match).
Things like that are the visible signs, there are others, and more subtle things happening too.

I never saw a single TV commercial against 594, or for 591. Lots and lots of commercials FOR 594, and all the ones I saw focused on how 594 was going to protect women from convicted domestic abusers. And how in states that passed laws like this, how the number of women murdered dropped, etc.

Lies and distortion, but with billionaires footing the bill, ordinary working class heroes don't stand much chance of getting the truth out there.
Old November 7, 2014, 12:39 PM   #95
SSA

I'm in Washington. I voted. I read the full text of the bill a few times in the last few months. A few thoughts:

As far as the law being challenged, my guess is that the people behind it could probably afford a lawyer who knew how to write a bill that would stick.

People will buy whatever they see advertised on TV.

I'm pretty sure that this law will have very little effect on me. That doesn't mean I like it.

The NRA was a complete no show. Months ago, people were wondering where they were. Now that it's over, I expect the NRA to use Washington as a terrifying example of what can happen, to aid their future fundraising.
Old November 7, 2014, 02:48 PM   #96
steve4102

NRA spent over 400K. That is not a lot compared to Bloomberg and Co, but it surely is not a "Complete No-Show".

http://www.komonews.com/news/local/N...279215002.html
Old November 7, 2014, 06:14 PM   #97
RampantAndroid

SSA, I don't see how it can. As I read it, if a rent-a-cop ever disarms you, that violated 594. If they give you back the gun, you violate again. So in my scenario with a hospital, where I am forced to disarm to be treated, I will be violating 594 (or going without treatment.) That is effectively infringing on my 2A right to bear arms (and even IF it isn't lawful for the hospital to disarm me - am I REALLY going to be standing there with a broken arm going "you can't lawfully disarm me!" - you can bet I'll be yelling "take it and help me!")

Moreover, it violates the single subject rule in WA on measures. That's where the first challenge will be.

To everyone in WA, contact your reps and senators. Push them to get the AG to clarify this law, as well as pushing them to get a 2/3rds majority to alter the law.
Old November 7, 2014, 06:47 PM   #98
44 AMP
Staff

one does have to wonder about the logic of YOU violating the law when someone else returns YOUR property.

Also, apparently in order to comply, I have to gift my firearms to my wife when I leave for work, and she has to gift them back to me when I get home. Otherwise, we're both breaking the law, a couple times a day, without either of us even touching a gun.

(would community property rules change that???)

Also, if I'm reading it right, while it allows for those under 18 to handle a gun without the check, WHILE UNDER INSTRUCTION, it does not allow legal adults to do the same. or did I miss something???
Old November 7, 2014, 09:15 PM   #99
Tom Servo
Staff

Quote:
Also, if I'm reading it right, while it allows for those under 18 to handle a gun without the check, WHILE UNDER INSTRUCTION, it does not allow legal adults to do the same. or did I miss something?
You're correct on that part. There are some "transfers" that are only permissible if the receiver is a minor.

I've read through I-594 several times, and the only conclusion I can draw is that it was done in great haste, and with a great many hands in the cookie jar.
Old November 8, 2014, 04:02 PM   #100
militant

Do you think Oregon will adopt this rediculous law?