The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Semi-automatics

Old March 2, 2018, 05:38 AM   #26
rwilson452

Quote:
Looks like you have several AR-15s. I'd branch out into something else. Do you have interest in AR-10s, FALs, M1As, MP5s, Scorpion Evos, etc? A nice pistol caliber carbine is always good to have, as well as a long range rifle.
I guess it depends on what you call a long range rifle. It's been a while but SEAL I know thought his M14 with a NM barrel using a round with a Sierra 175gr open tip match bullet was good for a good range. If he needed a bit more range it was 7mm mag. Past that and your into 338 and .50BMG. Yes, he should blow some big bucks and get a Barret!

Add: the Sierra 175gr OTM is really just the Sierra .30 175gr hollow point match bullet renamed.
Old March 2, 2018, 08:11 AM   #27
agtman

Quote:
Gobsmack: And hopefully my kids will leave but it's a damn shame. And just another reason to explain the mass exodus that is decades underway.
Yep, fewer and fewer Free States to be found on the coasts ...

Mass exodus from alt-left nanny-states has been going on for at least 25-yrs, e.g., California.

It's not just about firearms, but also crime, high taxes, and general anti-business regulations (including environmental) oozing from the various state capitals.

Retired folks seem to move south or southwest; their kids too, or to the interior states of the mid- and middle west.
Old March 2, 2018, 09:16 AM   #28
Siggy-06

+1 on adding some AR-10s to your collection. Have you considered a semi auto shotgun?

If you wanted to stock up for cheap, grab a few S&W or Ruger ARs, they can be found for 500 or under these days.
Old March 2, 2018, 09:22 AM   #29
TruthTellers

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwilson452 View Post
I guess it depends on what you call a long range rifle. It's been a while but SEAL I know thought his M14 with a NM barrel using a round with a Sierra 175gr open tip match bullet was good for a good range. If he needed a bit more range it was 7mm mag. Past that and your into 338 and .50BMG. Yes, he should blow some big bucks and get a Barret!

Add: the Sierra 175gr OTM is really just the Sierra .30 175gr hollow point match bullet renamed.
There are no ranges long enough to warrant owning a .50 BMG rifle in the Northeast. If he really wants a .50, there are companies that make single shot bolt action uppers.

BTW, I agree on the AR-10. S&W makes the M&P 10 and it's very highly praised for being a great value AR-10.
Old March 2, 2018, 09:32 AM   #30
rwilson452

Quote:
There are no ranges long enough to warrant owning a .50 BMG rifle in the Northeast. If he really wants a .50, there are companies that make single shot bolt action uppers.
There is an active 1000 yd club near Williamsport, PA
Old March 2, 2018, 11:28 AM   #31
lordmorgul

Facing this question in California I bought two new Aero Precision X15 M4e1 lowers. Having two helps ensure if you have damage to one you’ll still have an alternative, and having them the same is better for that. Worry about the remaining parts later. I’d suggest not building the rest of them identically, you’ll find that you want some differences.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Andrew - Lancaster, CA
Old March 2, 2018, 04:13 PM   #32
44 AMP
Staff

Quote:
You cannot build an 80% AR lower after ARs are banned. Any home made gun has to be legal in the makers jurisdiction. Only an absolute idiot is going to go violate that law. And shame on anyone for suggesting that.
I know this is a horrible blow to those who enjoy building, but really read the wording of the proposed bill(s) and consider the worst.

The parts are not "always" going to be legal, either. What good is a stack of receivers if you cannot own the rifle they become when finished??

Or, if you, personally can have it (if you build it yourself), but no one else ever can? Unlike the Fed 94 AWB, and state copies, the new bills include REGISTRATION of all items they classify as assault weapons (and that includes magazines!). I don't know about the RI version, but others I have seen state very narrow conditions for transfer of registered assault weapons. Grandfathered only for your lifetime, so forget about your heirs getting them, or the monetary value they once represented. Surrender to the state, no compensation.

The proposed law is pretty well set up to make it so that you cannot get anything but a limited amount of personal use from "registered assault weapons", not even your money back unless you sell them out of state.

This is NOT the same thing as the 94 AWB, where if you had a stock of pre-ban items you could keep them or sell then, at your choice. Not even close.

This is, essentially, "everything we let you keep must be registered, and registered items are going nowhere, except to us when the time comes."

As long as you and the items remain in their jurisdiction, that will be the law.

IF they get it passed....
Old March 5, 2018, 02:32 PM   #33
hdwhit

Quote:
Gobsmack asked:
If you had to pick 1-2 to grab before a ban went in place, what would you purchase?
The same thing I bought back when the concern was that Obama or Hillary might ban them; Smith & Wesson M&P-15 Sport II or Ruger AR-556. Yes, they are so-called "entry level" rifles, but the beauty of that is that they can be bought inexpensively today and then modified at your leisure tomorrow.
Old March 5, 2018, 03:00 PM   #34
stagpanther

I live in Maine--take my word for it--unless it's a nation-wide federal ban they will never ever be banned here! You mentioned you might be interested in moving here--have I got a deal for you! Several safes full of all the AR's you could ever possibly want for only $225,000! I'll throw in the 2,900 sq ft home on 1.45 acres of wooded land on prime shore location for free!
Old March 5, 2018, 04:35 PM   #35
TruthTellers

^ I got a better deal for him: move to Indiana where he can buy a 5 bedroom house with 2 baths for $125,000 and he can actually find employment there.

Oh, and a LOT less snow between October and April.
Old March 5, 2018, 04:53 PM   #36
stagpanther

Quote:
^ I got a better deal for him: move to Indiana where he can buy a 5 bedroom house with 2 baths for $125,000 and he can actually find employment there.

Oh, and a LOT less snow between October and April.
Them's fightin words son--no more lobster for you!
Old March 5, 2018, 05:43 PM   #37
agtman

Quote:
^ I got a better deal for him: move to Indiana where he can buy a 5 bedroom house with 2 baths for $125,000 and he can actually find employment there. Oh, and a LOT less snow between October and April.
No doubt. Indy's a great state and firearms friendly.

Same advice as before: leave your Commie 'Peoples State,' and move to a Free State where the RTK&BAs is protected and respected, ... under both the 2nd Amdt and state law.
Old March 5, 2018, 06:44 PM   #38
TruthTellers

Maine is VERY gun friendly, but living there is like living in Alaska. Very little industry, low wages, high rent and home prices. I understand why he's having trouble leaving RI, I was born there, spent a lot of time there. There are so many jobs in Mass that pay well and after so many years living in the same place... it's very difficult to pick up and leave.

Spent a lot of time in Indiana as well. Indiana is also low wage, but it's low rent, low property tax, but decent opportunities for employment. If only they would get going on permitless carry it'd be far better than Maine gun wise, but I guess the state reps are afraid of the idea of a certain kind of young man in Gary and Central Indianapolis carrying concealed weapons without being given the run around by the "permitting authorities."

I think you know what I'm talking about.
Old March 5, 2018, 07:40 PM   #39
agtman

Quote:
Maine is VERY gun friendly, but living there is like living in Alaska. Very little industry, low wages, high rent and home prices.
I don't know ... I'm in a different boat, but Maine really sounds like a great place if you're retired and want to enjoy the outdoors, and hunting, and the shooting sports.

Quote:
There are so many jobs in Mass that pay well and after so many years living in the same place... it's very difficult to pick up and leave.
No doubt ...

Money, the job, and family obligations force folks to make compromises or concessions everyday, ... including on personal stuff (like guns) where they feel forced to say 'yes' ... when they'd say 'hell, no' in a nano-second if only their life's circumstances were different.
Old March 28, 2018, 03:56 AM   #40
NorthernBlue

I am just curious how they plan on registering magazines? Will you have to S/N all your mags?