The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old September 24, 2009, 10:35 PM   #1
Colorado Redneck

Lasercast in 44 mag

I recently purchased a 44 mag and want to load some 200 gr. lasercast bullets. As with lots of components, there is no reloaders guide that I have seen giving a recipe for this bullet. The load I want to make uses the following:
CCI 300 primers
Unique Powder
Oregon Lasercast 200 gr bullets

What I want is 1000-1100 fps. This will be a good round to shoot praire dogs with (really close ones ) and practice at the range. As well, it should be a pretty good SD load, as that would produce 450 ft. pounds of energy. This would knock Rodney King down with a good hit, but shouldn't kill the neighbor sleeping next door.

I am thinking of starting with 8 gr. and increasing the powder 0.4 gr at a time up to about 10 gr.

Am I going wrong with this? I am adventerous, but don't want to be too stupid, so any comments or advice would be appreciated.
Old September 24, 2009, 11:39 PM   #2
Pathfinder45

Unique is great.

I think you'll be OK. I'm a .45 Colt guy myself. I use 9.5 grains with 255 Cast in my Vaquero for very close to 1000 fps. The .44 Mag will pretty much match it with a grain less powder. But you're using 200 grainers, so go for accuracy first. I'm guessing 8.5 grains will give you what you want. What model of gun are you using?
Old September 24, 2009, 11:50 PM   #3
RidgwayCO

According to QuickLOAD, that's a pretty good plan.

Assuming a COL of 1.555" with an Oregon Trail 200gr LRNFP, 8.0gr of Unique computes to about 950 fps out of a 4.0" barrel. You shouldn't have to start worrying about pressure in the .44 Magnum until you reach 11.0gr or so.

I like to keep my hard cast lead bullets subsonic (I use 1070 fps or less as a standard), as they seem to be more accurate and leading isn't a problem.
Old September 25, 2009, 01:51 AM   #4
jimkim

Contact Laser Cast and they will send you some load data.
http://www.laser-cast.com/

Come to think of it, they may just send you here. http://www.gmdr.com/lever/lowveldata.htm
Old September 25, 2009, 03:26 AM   #5
NWPilgrim

From the Laser-Cast Reloading Manual, page 93:

For a .44 Mag 240 LSWC:
Unique, 10.8gr (1302fps) - 11.7 (1349fps) at COL= 1.605"

For .44 Special 200 LRNFP, Cowboy load:
Unique, 6.1 gr (790fps) - 7.3 (949fps) at COL= 1.425"

So as far as Laser- Cast manual is concerned your 8.0-10.0 gr of Unique ought to be on the low end, since lighter bullets (200 versus 240) or longer COL (.44 mag length versus .44 special) allows more powder than these two loads.

Lyman #49 Manual

.44 Magnum 210 gr LRNFP:
Unique, 10.0gr (930fps) - 13.2 (1221fps) at COL=1.645"

According to Lyman the even lighter 200gr load should probably be about 11.0 - 12.0gr for 1100+fps.
"The ultimate authority ... resides in the people alone. ... The advantage of being armed, which the Americans possess over the people of almost every other nation ... forms a barrier against the enterprises of ambition."
- James Madison
Old September 25, 2009, 08:45 AM   #6
Colorado Redneck

Thanks for the advice and opinions!

I did not know that Lasercast had a manual. thanks, for that. I need one!

The gun is a Smith 629 with a 6 1/2 inch barrel. shoots great and I really like the gun. I want to shoot it most of the time without lots of muzzle blast and recoil, so the light load with Lasercast bullet looked pretty good.

The one thing that has me kind of bumfuzzled is how a charge of powder that is too light can create increased pressure. That is one issue that worried me, and the other is a "squib" load where there is not enough pressure to get the bullet out of the barrel.

Sounds like this is safe to go with. Thanks again for the input. I will chrony these loads and post the results. Probably be a couple of weeks. Momma has a list for me...

Are the trees looking good over at Ridgeway? That is beautiful country. I went to school at Western State in Gunnison for a couple of years back in the 60's and love that country.
Old September 25, 2009, 09:02 AM   #7
RidgwayCO

The youngest daughter played volleyball against Gunnison H.S. last week, and it was a pretty ride getting there. The best color isn't here yet, but the aspens should be in full change mode in a week or so.