The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old April 20, 2002, 08:55 PM   #1
bikeguy

2" shells?

I recently saw the Aguila mini-shells and was intrigued. I have read that they do not perform well in an 870. I was wondering if anyone has seen or created a 2" shell and whether such a thing would work in an 870. Don't know if it would increase mag capacity over 2 3/4 enough to be worth the trouble, but it might be interesting.
Old April 20, 2002, 09:51 PM   #2
Benjamin

2" and other odd length shotgun ammo is commercially available in the USA. To the best of my knowledge it is chiefly used in old shotguns with short chambers. Only place I can think of offhand that sells this would be Old Western Scrounger.
Old April 21, 2002, 12:48 AM   #3
Navy joe

The Minishells absolutely rock in an 870 as a matter of fact. The only problem I have is with the last round out of the tube for some reason, it flips over backwards in the port. Solution is to make your last shot 3" magnum buck, problem solved. I use my normal stroke which is very deliberate anyway, snap to the rear, pause snap to the front, I think some people baby the action in regular use and then with the minis they really screw up and try to short stroke them. Problem with the slugs is they are small diameter with no rifling grooves, group about 8 inches at 25 yds. The upside is with a last round of 3" buck and the first two the same I can find room for a tube capacity of 10. I would love to see buckshot, I know they offer #7 shot or something right now. they are way too much fun to shoot, if Mark Serbu can make a Super Shorty run well with them, then you know I'll have to get one.
Old April 21, 2002, 05:00 AM   #4
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

There's been a number of short 12 gauge shells brought out over the last century.

The Brits were first. Back around the 1920s, I believe, the fad was a super light 12 gauge with 2" shells holding down to 5/8 oz of shot, tho most used 1 1/16 oz,like longer sporting shells. Here we use 20s and 28s for the same effect. Of course, lots of light Brit and European doubles were built for their standard 2 1/2" shell also.

Back around 1980,the Feds tested 2" shells in some short shotguns they had, mostly 870s, IIRC. Results were mixed. One agent I knew liked the short shells in his standard 870, and was a master at getting center hits in very short time frames with it. BTW,the official FBI buck during this time was #4, not 00.

After the Feds turned down the concept of using short ammo, those shells were marketed as "Bantam Mags" or something else testosterone inducing. Feeding reliability was suspect, tho patterns seemed excellent compared to "Generic" 00.

As to the new stuff,I'm a hidebound conservative. The possibility of feeding probs weighs more heavily than the supposed benefit of having one more round in the mag,IMO.
Old April 21, 2002, 09:59 AM   #5
bikeguy

i figured that the feeding problems would negate any real or imagined benefit from the extra capacity. I imagine that in order to rely on shorter shells, the receiver would have to be made/modified for them.

The mini shells just seem a little too "mini" for my purposes, but I guess looks can be decieving. Too many people have reported feeding problems for me to try them - although Navy Joe seems to have sucess with them. Ahh, maybe I'll try them out for Schlitz and giggles.

BTW, how did 2 3/4" (and 3") become the standards? Has any US company ever tried to market a SG and ammo of different size? Just curious.
Old April 21, 2002, 10:42 AM   #6
K80Geoff

I have always been made to understnd that the 2" shells were marketed to the "Tactical" crowd so that they could jam more rounds into their magazines.

Kind of like using 22shorts in a tube fed rifle

The Brits had a go at using 2 1/2 " shells in their SXS guns in the early part of this century. Apparently it was their answer to the 28 ga that they should have been using