The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > Law and Civil Rights

Old January 10, 2013, 07:05 PM   #26
hermannr

if nothing else, you are protecting your license...Just like my ER nurse daughter will not do what a doctor tells her to do, if it could harm a patient, and jeopordize her license.
Old January 11, 2013, 11:57 AM   #27
doofus47

Quote:
As such they MAY include justifiable homicide,
They do. They also have a column for gangland homicides.

Again, the data shows that the whole "assault weapons" topic is a smokescreen. The elephant in the room is the amount of homicides involving handguns.

I'm for fewer crime involving homicides whenever/wherever possible, so a study of these would not bother me. It even wouldn't bother me if the objective data from that multi-year/multi-area study showed that a meaningful percentage of private sales were leaking into criminal hands and that study recommended that all firearm xfers (outside of the nuclear famliy and grands) should go via FFL.

Which leads me to a private rant. We have a president who lived in south Chicago. I've been to south Chicago on several occasions since I grew up in the Midwest. It's a tough place. If this president were serious about reducing gun violence, you would have thought he would have asked the FBI to create a special team to trace the history of all firearms recovered from Chicago crime scenes. Chicago has tight gun laws, yet gun crime is rampant. If you were a dedicated person who wanted to see the end to gun violence and an effective application of gun control laws, you would start with the source and move backwards to gather data. How the heck could you be so worried about this as an activist while you lived there and then, after you get your hands on the controls, fail to pursue this? Moral failure (and worse, moral hypocrisy) drives me batty. Rant over.
Old January 11, 2013, 07:13 PM   #28
dlb435

Not news to me. 20 years ago my then 10 year old daughter did a social studies project for school.
When she found that long guns were almost never used in crime and the number of deaths were beat out by knives and fist; it was a real suprise.
Her teachers were also a bit suprised and confused. They had always just asumed that AR15's were often used in crime sprees. Turned out they were wrong and misinformed.
She went to state with that project, but only won at the county level.
It's always funny to see the politically correct caught by the truth.
Old January 12, 2013, 04:12 AM   #29
Jazzninja

Here is a table that i created:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Murder victims by weapon chart.jpg (149.3 KB, 27 views)
Old January 12, 2013, 11:28 AM   #30
Glenn E. Meyer

Here is an interesting point. Joe Biden has made the point that they are not coming for your shotgun. He said in 2008 that Sen. Obama was not going to take your shotgun. The other day he said that again. He is a gun owner and likes to kill skeet - he has a shotgun.

Trying to split off the 'sportsmen'. Anyway, the other day a kid went to school with a shotgun and luckily was stopped.

The rates of rifle and shotgun crime look pretty close to me. Thus he is hypocrite (oh, well) - Shotgun Joe should want to sieze the shotguns. If it saves one life.

And who wants to shoot wild birds anyway - that's cruel. As far as skeet - go bowling, Joe - it's for the kids.
Old January 16, 2013, 04:11 PM   #31
JimDandy

The Reductio Ad Absurdum argument for Gun Control:
  • About two-thirds of rapes/sexual assaults were found to occur during the 12 hours from 6 p.m. to 6 a.m.
  • Nearly 6 out of 10 rape/sexual assault incidents were reported by victims to have occurred in their own home or at the home of a friend, relative, or neighbor
  • About 4 in 10 rape/sexual assault incidents involved offenders who were age 30 or older, according to victims
  • 33.7% of offenders were aged 18-24 at time of arrest
  • only 22.1% of offenders were married.
  • Over half of all rapes occur in jurisdictions with a population over 50,000

Applying the current gun control logic to these facts we can arrive at:

At the age of 18 all men can get married. Those who aren't married must be castrated as-

Only women in the police and military are allowed to have penises, because the little old lady down the block may have her penis stolen, and abused.

Men aged 18 or older are not allowed in the home of an acquaintance or family member, especially not during the hours of 6PM to 6AM.

All unmarried white men upon reaching the age of 18 must immediately move to a township or smaller jurisdiction, and get a work/travel permit if travel to a larger jurisdiction is required.