The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old August 20, 2018, 08:34 AM   #26
ruggyh

Quote:
I have never seen a 500 without some type of porting or brake.
Several 500 S&W have been produced without a muzzle brake- The ES model that was also available in the Survival Kit, the newer 3.5 " and of course the 5" John Ross all by S&W.

Then we have two different barrel lengths offered by BFR that don't wear brakes.

Addition I have yet to see an Janz in 500 with a brake, either the 6" or 8".

be safe
Ruggy
Old September 27, 2018, 11:43 AM   #27
jackmoser65

Quote:
Not hardly enough to "shoot clear through any deer you'll encounter".
Is that a serious comment?
Old September 28, 2018, 08:24 PM   #28
Number10GI

I've shot the 8" model that had porting and I was surprised at how well I handled it. I like shooting big bore revolvers and would like to have a 500 but the price of the gun is a bit more than I want to pay for a toy that makes a big boom. I reload so ammo costs could be kept down, just need to find a "deal" on one.
Old September 29, 2018, 08:16 AM   #29
StihlKicking

I pulled the trigger on a John Ross model a few months ago. It has quickly become one of my favorite revolvers. I find that the .500 is a reloaders dream. In my opinion the loaded down rounds are where this caliber really shines. When you push a 335 grain bullet about 1200 FPS you wind up with a round/gun combo that has less recoil than a low end .357 mag and substantially more energy than a .44mag.
Old September 29, 2018, 11:00 AM   #30
buck460XVR

Quote:
Originally Posted by fourbore View Post

I have never seen a 500 without some type of porting or brake. That is guarantee hearing damage if shot without hearing protection. If blowing out you ear drums is a fair trade for venison, fine? Or buy some of those electrons muffs.
As I said before....I have hunted deer with .357, 44 and .460. Any of those, even without a brake, can produce permanent hearing damage if one does not wear some sort of ear protection. Yep, the electronic muffs work very well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fourbore View Post
These guns are 99% purchased for fun and novelty.
Can you show us some form of proof, or is this just your take? Out of all the folks I know that own a X-Frame(.460 or .500), their intended purpose is either hunting or SD against DG. They don't have it just for "bragging rights". Me included. While I will admit, there are some that do, their numbers are not close to 99%. Same could be said for the .44 mag. at one time. I remember back in the early 70s when I got my first one, folks didn't think anyone needed that much power either. That was back when the .45 Colt was close to becoming obscure. Times change. Guns change.People....not so much.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackmoser65 View Post
Is that a serious comment?
Yes it is. Iffin there is any firearm myth that has been propagated so falsely on gun forums, it's the one about how a .45 Colt can shoot thru any large game animal, regardless of angle and what it impacts on the way. My statement was at 100 yards when down to 350 foot pounds of energy. I have no problem with the .45 Colt, it's a great cartridge and a good deer caliber within it's limitations. But regardless of what you insist, it does have it's limitations. One is range from a handgun. I also have no problem with what you or other folks use when they hunt deer. Apparently, you do.
Old September 29, 2018, 09:22 PM   #31
StihlKicking

500 magnum questions

I own many revolvers and most of them are .357 mag or larger. My favorites are my .44 mags, mainly because that’s what I grew up with and am the most comfortable with. As I said above I now own a John Ross .500 mag and I wouldn’t consider it a novelty at all. Loaded way down it hits harder than a .44 mag and does so with substantially less recoil. From there the sky is the limit as far as performance, it will out run any other big bore revolver load for load that i know of as long as you are strong enough to stand behind it.

I will say that if I didn’t reload I would not have as favorable an opinion of the .500. Factory ammo is too expensive and way too hot for practical everyday shooting.

Last edited by StihlKicking; September 29, 2018 at 09:46 PM.
Old October 2, 2018, 03:14 PM   #32
1MoreFord

31, and now 32, with mine, replies to the OP who hasn't been back to the forum since the day he posted his question. Must not have been too important to begin with.
Old October 2, 2018, 08:18 PM   #33
Targa

True^^^. It would be nice to know what he went with.
Old October 2, 2018, 08:43 PM   #34
mehavey

Quote:
Let me be more explicit for those who can't seem to comprehend. Why would one want to carry a revolver that is a pound heavier than necessary, producing exponentially more recoil and muzzle blast than necessary? In other words, why do so many seem to think that they need a huge X frame for deer?
"Because it's there."

FWIW, see . . .
https://thefiringline.com/forums/sho...87&postcount=6
https://www.thehighroad.org/index.ph.../#post-7395330

and finally (and most important....)
https://www.thehighroad.org/index.ph.../#post-7895604

it's one heckuva coke can killer at 100yds
Old October 4, 2018, 07:51 AM   #35
fourbore

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1MoreFord View Post
31, and now 32, with mine, replies to the OP who hasn't been back to the forum since the day he posted his question. Must not have been too important to begin with.
It maybe the tone of the replies. My first experience here was not so warm a reception either. I am guilty as anyone. I would suggest a 6" barrel for the OP, no brake or compensator holes. I never did mention that in my OT reply.

He did say, "lighter rounds" for deer. So; he loads his own. He test fired a 500. He asked for some pet loads. No response.

Do not be surprised if he never comes back.
Old November 1, 2018, 07:57 PM   #36
jackmoser65

Quote:
Iffin there is any firearm myth that has been propagated so falsely on gun forums, it's the one about how a .45 Colt can shoot thru any large game animal, regardless of angle and what it impacts on the way.
Then I reckon the deer I've shot with it were defective. Ironic that you'd question my questioning the reasoning behind packing a 500 but have no problem telling me that I'm perpetuating myths. I've only been doing it for over forty freaking years. In the real world it doesn't take a lot to kill deer. I've done it with everything from the 32-20 on up.

Quote:
It maybe the tone of the replies.
The world is indeed a sad place when you can't ask someone why they want to carry a particular firearm without triggering an emotional, kneejerk reaction from bystanders.
Old November 1, 2018, 08:00 PM   #37
Dano4734

How does it compare to a 454 casull full load? I never shot one
Old November 2, 2018, 08:08 AM   #38
Targa

Quote:
How does it compare to a 454 casull full load? I never shot one
I imagine it depends on the platform. I have never fired a .500S&W but my brothers father in law has a S&W .460XVR and it is has noticeably less recoil than my Ruger SBH in .44mag and is absolutely soft recoiling compared to my .454 SBH. That weight and ported barrel makes a world of difference. Now muzzle blast and noise, well that’s a different story...