The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old August 17, 2018, 10:23 PM   #1
markr6754

Update to Baby Rock Saga

I ran a thread regarding 380 C.O.L. due to magazine feed issues I was experiencing. All of my 4 magazines experienced jams at some point, but the results could not be consistently replicated. So I brought my firearm and my magazines out to Pahrump, Nevada, where the Armscor warranty work is done.

They put a rush on my service request, and actually gave me a brand new Baby Rock. Somehow they determined that my firearm had too many problems to fix, so they fine tuned a new pistol, and gave it to me...new case, new magazine, new pistol...cleaned, lubed, and test fired.

I couldn’t be happier....except...they didn’t touch my magazines. I took out magazine #3, so marked during my testing, and loaded up 7 rounds of Winchester White Box 95gr 380...same problem as before. I can actually shake 4-5 rounds out while one or two remain stuck down inside the mag.

I decided to work on the follower with a Dremel, and improved it to the point that it will feed S&B round nose...but it still hangs up with the Winchester...which is a flat nose round. Oh well...since I have 5 magazines now I’ll do some more Dremel work until the followers run smoothly and can slide out of the magazine on their own.
Old August 18, 2018, 09:06 AM   #2
m&p45acp10+1

I would see if it will take Browning mags. My 9mm was a jam-o-mattic with the factory supplied magazine. I switched that out with two quality aftermarket mags. No problems since.
Old August 18, 2018, 10:22 AM   #3
jag2

If you think working with the Dremel is helping then I guess I would keep doing that but it kinda sounds like the worst of your mags may be enough out of spec that it won't help. In other words its not just the follower that is the problem. I'd try a couple new mags to see if that resolves the problem.
Old August 18, 2018, 10:37 AM   #4
Unclenick
Staff

If the mags are steel or aluminum, they can be treated with Shooter's Solutions Moly Fusion material. It leaves the whole surface waxy feeling and stops drag, but it's not inexpensive. You can also soak steel in Sprinco's Plate+silver for three days, after which the surface has permanent better lubricity.
NRA Benefactor Member and Golden Eagle
Old August 18, 2018, 11:04 AM   #5
markr6754

Quote:
Originally Posted by jag2 View Post
If you think working with the Dremel is helping then I guess I would keep doing that but it kinda sounds like the worst of your mags may be enough out of spec that it won't help. In other words its not just the follower that is the problem. I'd try a couple new mags to see if that resolves the problem.
I’m only taking the Dremel to the one mag that’s given me the most grief. I have 4 others now...and I’m sure I can find one good one out of the bunch. I haven’t found any other shooters complaining about their Baby Rock, so it doesn’t appear to be a common problem. That said...I’ve never come across magazines that have such tight followers. I have to pry the follower out of the magazine after pinning the spring. With all of my standard 1911 mags, the follower falls out on its own once the spring is pinned, or taken out through the bottom.

Unclenick...that sounds like a potential solution. It may cost of bit...but so do new mags. It’s worth looking into.