The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old July 12, 2018, 03:58 PM   #1
Kru2011

kingdom of serbs m24. Yugoslavian Mauser m24

I have a receiver from a kingdom of serbs m24 Mauser. I am trying how to equipped the receiver with a new Barrel. I have bought two Yugoslavian M24 barrels. they seem to thread on just fine but they stop with the receiver being a quarter turn off. Does anybody have any suggestions of how to get these barrels to fit onto this receiver. Or does anyone know if the threads from an Yugoslavian M24 Barrel should fit a kingdom of serbs m24 receiver

Last edited by Kru2011; July 12, 2018 at 06:32 PM.
Old July 12, 2018, 08:24 PM   #2
Unclenick
Staff

Welcome to the forum.

What do you mean they stop? If you are just hand tightening, since these are not change-barrel guns, you would expect to have to use a barrel vice to hold the barrel and then to use a receiver wrench to torque it down until you have maybe 0004" of chamber stretch. Assuming the usual 98 pattern Mauser 12 tpi threads (I've not worked on a Yugo 24, specifically, but I have worked on other 98 pattern Mausers), that means tightening 17.8° beyond the hand tight position, ideally, so hand-tight should stop that much short of it. But that's only ideal. It's not unusual to run into barrels that stop rather earlier in anticipation the armorer will use a lathe to set the shoulder back just enough to achieve that fit. If you are also truing the front receiver ring with a receiver mandrel and a toolpost grinder, less will need to come off the shoulder.

See if you can get a copy of Jerry Kuhnhausen's book on the Mauser rifles for a better sense of how to rebarrel these guns and what dimensions you need to watch out for.
NRA Benefactor Member and Golden Eagle
Old July 12, 2018, 10:50 PM   #3
Kru2011

Thank you for responding. Yep we are using a barrel Vise and a receiver wrench. We tighten it to hand tight and then after; Wrench It Down the rest of the way to where it stops. it stops a quarter-turn shy of lining up with the barrel and receiver properly. So my main question was does anybody know the exact threads for the receiver, or all the receivers and barrels threaded differently.
Old July 13, 2018, 08:22 PM   #4
Unclenick
Staff

OK. Ignore what I said about chamber draw. It's been a spell since I worked on a Mauser and I was thinking of the 96 Mauser instead of the 98. The 98 pattern Mausers have a second receiver ring down inside (the lower receiver ring) that is actually meant to be the primary torque shoulder, so you wind up crushing rather than stretching the barrel extension (the threaded part). I am guessing that is what is stopping your threading from going forward. Your barrel's extension is running into that lower receiver ring too soon. You can verify this by coating the back of the barrel with a Magic Marker and tightening it and then removing it and looking for the scuff marks.

The military barrels should have a 0.625" long barrel extension and if yours is longer (Kuhnhausen says you may see up to 0.650") that would explain what you are experiencing.

You will need to use a depth mic to measure the length from the front receiver ring (the front end of the receiver that the barrel shoulder meets) to that lower receiver ring, then compare it to the length of the barrel extension. You want the extension about 1-1.5 thousandths longer than the depth of the second ring surface.

The threads are actually 12 tpi Whitworth threads, which have a sharper 55° thread profile than the U.S. standard 60° profile. The wrinkle in this is that a lot of U.S.-made barrels have a 60° thread, so you wind up cleaning the original receiver threads up with a 1.100-12 tpi tap that has the U.S. thread profile.
NRA Benefactor Member and Golden Eagle
Old July 16, 2018, 02:54 PM   #5
tango1niner

I've only played with '98's a little. But if there is a small gap at the barrel shoulder/reciever junction that would further indicate the shank face is hitting the abutment in the receiver.