The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old July 1, 2018, 09:22 AM   #1
ADIDAS69

New spotting scope

So for a hundred years I’ve been suffering with a Barska spotting scope. It’s finally time for a bit of an upgrade. Whilst like me I’m sure you’re all saving up for the new 100mm objective Leica, till I have $5K I have narrowed my options to the following 3 and would love some thoughts from persons with possibly more knowledge than me. The Redfield 20-60 80mm I understand they’re made in Oregon and are a subsidiary of Leupold, I had a chance to look through one at my local sporting goods shoppe. I could read, with some difficulty due to image aberration, 12 point font at about 110 yards. The second scope is the Konus 20-60 100mm I understand these are Chinese in manufacture using Japanese made glass though glass made to Konus’ spec to meet a price point. I’ve not been able to find a local retailer that has one I can look through. The third is the Celestron C90 this is more accurately described as a telescope as it uses interchangeable eye pieces and is generally meant for viewing planets. I’ve not discovered much about their manufacture and have not have a chance to look through one. Thoughts and ideas welcome.
Old July 1, 2018, 11:32 AM   #2
straightShot

Go with the most scope that you can afford so that you're not looking to upgrade again in a couple of years.
Old July 1, 2018, 02:11 PM   #3
Scoits

Have a bushnell Sentry that I could afford in 1975. Have packed it on many hunt and countless hours on the bench at ranges.
Have a 20 x fixed with a 32x lense for times when I thought I needed it. It is beat and rough looking today but does all I need in any big game hunt. Have been on many because the weight was minimal
Old July 1, 2018, 03:02 PM   #4
RC20

You have to watch Redfield products, Leopold started out making lower cost versions of their stuff, then bought tout a Philippine (memory?) made one. They quit, I think they realized it was not going to fly quality wise.

I don't know that even Leopold other non scope stuff is US made, kind of doubt it.

Even if not for the most part it is going to be good stuff. I would sleauth and look at labels, Japan puts out good optics, China and Philippines not so much.

I have two Cabella made in Japan scopes and love them, better than Leopold (have an eye problem with Leopold, that is my eyes not them - I do have a Leopold rimfire and for the most part it does fine for me but the cross hairs fade out )

I do have a couple of the Redfield Reovltion US made scopes, those are solid hunting scopes and good enough for Mil Surplus shooting down to around an MOA.
Old July 1, 2018, 05:01 PM   #5
Chainsaw.

Im gonna glom onto your thread here Amigo. I took am looking for a spotting scope, my budget is pretty low but, I was able to check out a friends Vortex Razor line scope, 20-44 IIRC, niiiiice clarity. Good peice, but, $1100. He says he is after the ability to count antler points to keep hunts legal. Me, Im after being able to see "Is that my steel plate?" Or "is that a coyote or not".

Last edited by Chainsaw.; July 2, 2018 at 10:45 AM.
Old July 1, 2018, 05:45 PM   #6
Dufus

Take a look at the Celestron C5.

It is a little more money than the C90 and larger, but it is a good spotting scope for the range AND if you get bored, you can look at Jupiter and Saturn.
Old July 2, 2018, 01:28 AM   #7
ADIDAS69

Dufus yeah I’ve been teatering towards maybe the C5. My daughter is 4.75 years old and loves astronomy and mars will super close here in a few days. I’ll get a lot less greif from what’s’er’name if the item is dual purpose and not just a toy for me, plus I love my wee princess. The C90 does seem a bit more portable. Do you have a C5 and love it?
Old July 3, 2018, 10:52 PM   #8
ms6852

Depending on what distances you want to see with it , here is a link with a great write up on spotting scopes that can help you get a perspective on what to expect from the scopes based on a dollar value. This article can help you narrow down your prospects. Hope it helps.
https://www.opticsplanet.com/howto/h...-shooting.html
Old July 3, 2018, 11:54 PM   #9
HiBC

I like Kowa
Old July 4, 2018, 07:18 AM   #10
std7mag

I got tired of the Simmons 20-60X60.
I ended up getting the Celestron C70 Mini Mak.
Love the thing! Also bought the eyepiece and filter kit.

I don't think you would go wrong with the C90.

"Januarary 6th insurrection".
Funny, I didn't see a single piece of rope...
Old July 4, 2018, 11:05 AM   #11
Ricklin

Celestron Good stuff

I have a Celestron Nexstar 5....too much for a spotting scope.

The higher your mag goes the greater the need for a rock solid mount. The tripod for my Nexstar is a beast.

I would stick with refractor type scopes for spotting. Compact and much more rugged than hybrid reflector scope designs.

If your choice uses 1 1/4" eyepieces, don't skimp. A good scope will really be compromised by a cheap eyepiece.
Old July 4, 2018, 11:25 AM   #12
Don Fischer

Lot of people think the standard of a good spotter is cost. Why don't you make an offer on the Hubble scope! :-)
Old July 4, 2018, 01:27 PM   #13
Jim Watson

Because they screwed it up.