The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old April 4, 2021, 07:18 AM   #1
horseman308

Electronic ear plug recommendations?

I'm starting to seriously consider a set of noise canceling/suppressing ear plugs, but both for shooting and playing music.

I've never liked ear muffs, as I always wear glasses of some kind which rarely feel comfortable with muffs. Also, I do some cowboy action shooting and otherwise just enjoy brimmed hats, which again, don't work with muffs.

I also play guitar in a 7-piece band. Foamies and even re-usable plugs supposedly designed for music are either uncomfortable or cut out too many of the high frequencies I need to hear a balanced sound. I know I could get in-ear monitors, and I might.

But is there a set of electronic plugs that could do double duty? Some that would effectively suppress gunshots at the range and keep a balanced sound spectrum at rehearsal and gigs?

The Peltor TEP200 get lots of good reviews, but I don't need comms connections and some of the other stuff. And $375 is a lot of money for an experiment; not too much to preserve my hearing, but more than I want to spend unless it's a sure thing. Open to suggestions.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

Old April 4, 2021, 12:49 PM   #2
Nathan

I have the Walkers Silencer BT. First pair broke pretty quick. They replaced in about 2 weeks including shipping. Second pair seems ok. Not quite as good as my Pro Ears Pro Mag, but pretty close. I need to use more to really judge how they are working.
Old April 18, 2021, 04:36 AM   #3
BCR1

I have a pair of Walker Razor in FDE for around $60.00 w/tax. Fine for pistol shooting but you may want to add plugs when shooting CF rifle.

Bill
Old April 19, 2021, 12:28 PM   #4
Brian Pfleuger
Moderator Emeritus

I suspect that you are asking for features of such disparity that you will not find good answers in one place, if such a product even exists.
Muffs that are intended for firearms protections rarely (if ever) emphasize audio quality to a level that an audiophile would require.
I would be surprised if you could find anything acceptable that wasn't direct input (plug in) and even then I'd be dubious.

I have had quite a few types and brands of electronic protection over the years (Walker's, Peltor, Caldwell, Radians) in BTE, plugs and earmuff styles.
All had several things in common.
1)They were fine for shooting.
2)They were lousy for one reason or another for hunting (feedback, static, etc)
3)None would have been remotely acceptable for quality music.

Since quality of music is the "hard part", I suspect your best bet is to ask about products on an audiophile forum and then see if any of the suggestions have features that work for shooting.
Old April 19, 2021, 03:51 PM   #5
horseman308

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Pfleuger View Post
I suspect that you are asking for features of such disparity that you will not find good answers in one place, if such a product even exists.

Muffs that are intended for firearms protections rarely (if ever) emphasize audio quality to a level that an audiophile would require.

I would be surprised if you could find anything acceptable that wasn't direct input (plug in) and even then I'd be dubious.

I have had quite a few types and brands of electronic protection over the years (Walker's, Peltor, Caldwell, Radians) in BTE, plugs and earmuff styles.

All had several things in common.

1)They were fine for shooting.

2)They were lousy for one reason or another for hunting (feedback, static, etc)

3)None would have been remotely acceptable for quality music.

Since quality of music is the "hard part", I suspect your best bet is to ask about products on an audiophile forum and then see if any of the suggestions have features that work for shooting.
I'm pretty sure you're correct. In an imperfect world, perfect solutions rarely exist.