The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > NFA Guns and Gear

Old October 18, 2018, 10:07 AM   #1
2wheelwander

Supressor advice please

Going to SBR my Evo Scorpion and add a suppressor. This will be my first foray into AFT forms.

Since I'm just getting started I plan on buying a .45 caliber suppressor. One size will fit all for now. I'm aware of pistons needed for pistol caliber but plan on using this on my AR's as well.

Being this will be my first and 'one size fits all (for now)' suppressor, what would those who have gone before me suggest? Afraid to buy a $399 can and have it fall apart or just be unhappy with it otherwise. I would like to keep purchase price around $800. I also would like to have the ability for a quick detach for AR style flash hiders. I understand this could pose a problem for pistols, but I'd like to have my cake and eat it too. Titanium can would be great, but being this will be primarily on rifles, its no a huge concern. Just want a quality, best bang for the buck can, I can use universally. Biggest caveat is it be a .45. I may go full bore in the future and buy caliber specific cans, but for now, this is what I want. Oh yeah, full auto rated.

I've youtube'd enough to know different cans are a bit quieter than other. Also know there are probably good questions I don't know enough to ask.

So, I'd like to hear from those who know more than me and have swam in that pool for a while. Advice please.
Old October 18, 2018, 12:23 PM   #2
Sharkbite

Thats a pretty deep rabbit hole you are thinking about going down.

Cans are like potato chips, you cant stop at one. Be warned...

My advice is buy Two cans. One for pistols (a 45 can makes sense there) AND a rifle can (30cal gives the most versatility).

Thats what i did. My first was a AAC 762sdn6 and mounts for all my AR’s and 308 boltguns.
My second was a SWR Octane in 45. That let me shoot 45, 40, and 9 (40 SUCKS thru a suppressor). I even tried 22lr thru it. Not a good match :-(.

So, then i got a cpl 22lr cans, another rifle can (300blk), another pistol can (a “mini” for HD use). Not to mention the whole SBR thing... i started a stamp collection. Lol

Like i said its a deep hole.
Old October 18, 2018, 02:25 PM   #3
2wheelwander

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6e3PHN0mreM

Thoughts? One in my local gun shop
Old October 18, 2018, 03:20 PM   #4
Sharkbite

That looks good.
Old October 21, 2018, 07:15 AM   #5
Spats McGee
Staff

Moving this one to the NFA forum.
Old October 22, 2018, 07:29 AM   #6
9x19

I don't care for silencers on pistols, just doesn't do anything for me... that said I do have one pistol silencer but I use it on a pistol caliber carbine. As such it needs no piston/spring since I don't need the extra recoil impulse for cycling a slide. My Octane just has a fixed (direct thread) mount instead and works great.

My Omega .300 has the option of fixed (direct thread) or a quick release mount. I went with the quick release since I have two rifles to use it on. There is a 3-lug quick release mount made for the Octane (it would replace the piston/spring), but the Octane is limited for rifle calibers.

The Silencerco Hybrid may be the best fit for what you describe, but I am not familiar enough with it to say what kind of mounts it has available.

Good luck
Old October 22, 2018, 05:28 PM   #7
raimius

Boosters are not for specific calibers, but for operating systems.

I don't know of any .45 cans that have a QD A2 flash hider mount.
Old November 1, 2018, 07:34 AM   #8
MarkA

The Silencerco Hybrid 46 can use their ASR mount and run on pistol or rifle with the right adapters. Just ordered one recently.

https://silencerco.com/silencers/hybrid/
Old November 1, 2018, 10:19 AM   #9
TrueBlue711

I wanted a "one shoe fits all" silencer as well when I first started doing the research and I also came across the SilencerCo Hybrid. Then I decided against it and got a 30cal dedicated rifle suppressor (the Omega) and a 22LR suppressor (Griffen Armament Checkmate). So I agree with the comment made about getting two, but only if you can afford it. I plan on getting a pistol suppressor down the road, but no rush for it at the moment.

Quote:
Cans are like potato chips, you cant stop at one. Be warned...
This is a very true statement...
Old November 1, 2018, 01:09 PM   #10
FrankenMauser

It sounds like the SilencerCo Hybrid 46 is what you think you want.

But, I do agree with previous replies: I believe you'll be better off with two or more suppressors than trying to with a "one-size-fits-most".

When I decided it was time for suppression, I put a lot of thought into what I wanted and how I could possibly make that work with a 'one-size-fits-all'. Then I put a lot of thought into how a 'one-size-fits-all' would actually work for the intended uses, how often I'd be swapping between firearms, how much money I would have to fork over in direct thread adapters and/or quick-attach mounts (this amount can be significant), how often I would find myself with one suppressor but two firearms that I wanted suppressed at the same time, and just how ridiculous it would get when I had to adjust a rifle for point of impact shift every time I moved the suppressor to a different host.

End result: I scrapped the 'one-size-fits-all' idea. I bought a rimfire can (Tac-Sol Ascent) and a Harvester 300, so I could spend some time actually dealing with the imagined annoyances and limitations; but have something that definitely would have been purchased in the future, anyway. (The rimfire can being 'mandatory' since the Harvester is fully welded and not serviceable, but I was certainly going to want to play with the .22s.)

I'm glad that I made that decision.
Not only do I have a much better idea of my 'needs' for a suppressor, but I'm also one step ahead in outfitting a certain group of rifles with .30-cal cans.
Old December 30, 2018, 03:48 AM   #11
hbk80rice

Don't buy something cheap. You will hate it and then go back and buy the expensive one..."BUY ONCE, CRY ONCE!"

So get the best can you can buy for the 9mm and them if you need another pistol. an buy one for that and buy the best can for that caliber.

Nothing does everything the best!

A 9mm can does better for 9mm than a 45 or 40 can
So do the right thing and get good/the best gear. If you have to save up for a bit extra, SO IT bc it's worth it in the long run!!!! Yeah you will pay more but you WILL have it for LIFE and they will last that long bc you will bc buying the best products bc you will be saving up to get the good stuff.

SAVE UP & DO NOT GET BARGIN CRAP. Get the best bc the will sound the best, most of the time have lifetime warranties, and will last more rounds that you will ever shoot through them.
Old December 30, 2018, 08:11 AM   #12
Mobuck

1: I don't intend to use a muffler on any of my center fire pistols.
2: I went down the "one size for all" road with my initial purchase only to find everything is compromised by that idea.
3: After 3 years, I'm again playing the waiting game as I add caliber specific mufflers to get the results I require.
4: You don't have to buy the most expensive(apparently counter to the other advice) muffler to get good results.
5: If you're a hunter, pay attention to the "First Round Pop" comments on the users' reviews.
6: Look for "package deals" on either multiple suppressors, special pricing, added features(like mounts/end caps), or even free tax stamps.
Old December 30, 2018, 09:58 AM   #13
Bartholomew Roberts

Dead Air silencers have started making modular cans where you can change the mounting portion and the muzzle cap. So you can buy a .45ACP silencer and a 9mm muzzle cap and gain multi-caliber capability without sacrificing quietness - and you can mount to more muzzle devices also.

I think other manufacturers are picking up on this trend as well.
Old December 30, 2018, 11:29 AM   #14
2wheelwander

Tanks for the updates Gents. Fun fund has been setting up a Scorpion with a tailhook folding brace (should be here tomorrow) and other goodies. Resolved to spending the extra for a titanium cased can just for weight savings as it will be on a pistol most of the time. I have no misconceptions this will be my last suppressor. Next I'm sure will be a .223.
Old December 31, 2018, 08:38 PM   #15
Road_Clam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mobuck
I went down the "one size for all" road with my initial purchase only to find everything is compromised by that idea.
+1. I have the Griffin Revolution45 can purpose built for 45 ACP, bought several expensive adaptors to convert to 9mm and .22 . Bottom line, yes you get an "ok" level of suppression for the alternate calibers, but FAR short of the suppression from the INTENDED caliber. 45ACP is the ideal caliber for subsonic centerfire handgun. My Sig SRD762 Ti .30 cal rifle suppressor is on the other hand is a true, versatile multi-purpose can as it performs excellent on 308, 300 BLK, and 7.62x39.
Old January 1, 2019, 01:59 AM   #16
FrankenMauser

Enjoy it.

I have three more lined up: One for "general use" on .30 cal and smaller cartridges. One for a very specific .475 caliber application but cross-over to a couple other 'big bore' calibers. And one for a very specific .30 cal application.
(And then another rimfire can after that....)

I am very glad that I didn't go with the "one size fits most" can for my first. It still wouldn't be all that useful for any of the applications.
Old January 1, 2019, 09:58 AM   #17
Road_Clam

Lesson i've learned after much conversion experimentation is that it's hands down the internal baffles that mitigate the supression gasses, not the end cap / piston adaptors. I can run my 9mm Uzi supersonic through my Revolution 45 with 9mm adaptors but it's just not effective. I actually emailed Griffin asking if I could purchase alternate caliber internal baffles for my Rev45 and per BATF NFA laws the answer was "no".