The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old December 2, 2009, 10:38 PM   #1
Deer Slayer 270

pierced WSR primers in 204 Ruger

Has anybody else experience this with Winchester Small Rifle primers. The last time I shot it at the range, I had about 4 out of 15 rounds with pierced primers which really bottered me as it can be very hazardous.

Should I switch to magnum small rifle primers in addition to switching brands or just switch to a different brand? and what brand do you guys suggest?
Old December 2, 2009, 10:41 PM   #2
Tim R

CCI or Remington 7 1/2's.......
Old December 2, 2009, 10:43 PM   #3
Deer Slayer 270

regular or magnum primers?
Old December 3, 2009, 10:17 AM   #4
McClintock

You shouldn't need to switch to magnum primers. I haven't loaded for the 204, but I would think using the Remington 7-1/2 BR primers, Wolf .223-specific primers, etc. should alleviate the problem. If you can get them, that is.

If you do decide to go the magnum primer route, don't forget to back your load down to starting levels and re-work it again!

Just curious, how deep are you seating them? A couple thousandths below flush?

Cheers!
McClintock
Old December 3, 2009, 11:42 AM   #5
Slamfire

Just at the turn of the Century Winchester changed from nickel plated primers to brass primers.

I called Winchester to see if there were any other changes, there were.

Winchester made their entire primer line "more sensitive". They claimed they were combating off center firing pin strikes, and some other issue.

One thing they did to make these primers more sensitive, was thinner and softer primer cups.

I went through 5000 of these brass WSR primers in my AR15 and found that at loads than never bothered the old nickel plated WSR, these brass WSR pierced something awful. Dishing the tips of my firing pins.

AR15 firing pins are $7.50 and replacing them is not cheap. I cut my loads drastically and shot the rest up.

I am currently using CCI#41 primers, they don't pierce like WSR and shoot very well.

You should cut your loads by 20% before using WSR. AR15 bolts and firing pins are not a manufacturer restricted item. You have enough pierced primers in a Ruger bolt, you will be replacing one of the other soon enough.
Old December 3, 2009, 11:55 AM   #6
Dave R

The CCI #41 primers are harder than their regular primers, so should resist piercing better. But I also have to wonder if your powder charges are not too high. Are you at or near max? Have you chronographed?
Old December 3, 2009, 12:33 PM   #7
kraigwy

When I got my 204 I tried every primer aviable in coming up with a load that suited me. Including Winchester. I didnt have any pierced primers but settled on CCI Standard SR primers simple because they worked with my load and rifle.

I've shot tons of Winchester primers in my 223 bolt gun with no problems. Plus I use them in my AR SP1 and 50-55 grn bullets.

My White Oak Service rifle AR likes Fed Match primers so I dont use winchester it it.

Now these are my rifles, you millage may very.
Distinguished Rifle Badge 1071