The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > NFA Guns and Gear

Old January 14, 2006, 04:42 PM   #1
GMThirteen

HK MP 5/10(Vector version)

Hey guys me again and no,I just can't let it go....yet.Are there any reviews on the Vector Arms MP 5/10 variant? Anyone know someone who's had one? Is there a place with a better price than the Vector Arms website? Thanks again guys,I'd like to have a little research before I buy one of these treasured things.--Next subject: USAS 12 full auto shotgun.
Old January 14, 2006, 05:20 PM   #2
shaggy

Vector Arms is the manufacturer, so probably your best price will be directly through Vector and have your local FFL just do the transfer. As far as I know the MP5/10 is not out yet, but I could be wrong - I called the other day to get on the waitlist for a V51 (short barreled G3 - like an MP5 or even an MP5/10 on steroids), but didn't think to ask about the 10mm.

Although I don't have anything from Vector yet, they have a good reputation for quality and customer service. I tried to get some user reports on the V51 before I got on the waitlist, but couldn't find any. Vector has been around the block though, and seems to be a good reputable company from everything I've seen & heard, so I placed my order. FWIW, I've seen and shot full-auto Uzis and mini-Uzis they built on Group Industries receivers and was impressed. Everything I've heard about their HK53 clone (the V53) has been good also.

As to the USAS, I'm fairly sure there's transferable full auto ones available, but even a semi is going to cost you $3000+ and require a transfer as a destructive device. If you can find a transferable full auto one, expect to pay significantly more. Honestly, for the cost I wouldn't bother. Its way too much for a semi auto shotgun and if you can afford the $8-10k I would estimate a full auto one would cost, you'd probably be much better off with an M16. Just my $0.02 though
Old January 30, 2006, 07:55 PM   #3
Houndog

Your in luck GM, I can tell you pretty much everything you want to know about the Vector MP5/10. First of all, it's a civilian version of the gun and not full auto (although I would guess if you have a registered trigger pack/full auto seer, you could make it full auto (disclaimer - don't own any full auto guns so that's not something I know a lot about).

At any rate, to get back to the Vector - they are not mfg. by Vector, merely being sold by them. The mfg. is a company named Cohaire Arms. They are owned by the wife of the guy who owns Special Weapons, Todd Bailey. Todd is a controversial figure in the HK clone world. On the one hand, he seems to be the only guy who can reliably produce receivers for the civilian market. On the other hand he has the tendency to get into huge pissing contests with anyone who disagrees with him. Doesn't have a good reputation for customer service. (Unlike Vector, which has an excellent reputation)

At any rate the MP5/10 is a Cohaire Arms receiver, Special Weapons parts and is assembled either by Cohaire or Special Weapons (remebering that they are in reality one in the same).

So how do these guns work? Well based on personal experience - I own one - not so great. These are brand new models in which nearly every part had to be reversed engineered from the original HK. This has caused some problems. My gun basically had 29 FTE in 30 rounds. Then the bolt hold open device broke. Oh, it also shot about 6" to the left at 7.5 yards.

Shipped gun back to Vector, who shipped it back to Cohaire/Special Weapons. I do have to say that both Vector and Special Weapons have been very good about giving me updates and they claim gun has been repaired and is not functioning 100% - but I haven't gotten it back yet, so I can't confirm.

I can tell you that if you search the various boards (try HKpro and AR15.com) you will see that others have had very similar problems.

If you still want to buy the gun after reading this (and you might if you really want a 10 MP5, since your only other alternative is to have Murray Urbach make you one for about $10,000) you better contact Vector immediately. Cohaire/Special Weapons has stopped making this gun (and I think they only made about 40-50 of this version, primarily because it has proved to be such a bear).

You can still get this gun in .40S&W, which, based on the reviews I've seen, seem to have fewer problems and be running more reliably.

So, have I answered all your questions?
Old January 30, 2006, 09:20 PM   #4
shaggy

Hey HoundDog...

I didn't know Bailey was involved with these. I know there's been business between Vector and Bailey in the past, but I thought at this point those ties had been severed and Vector was making their own receivers. Any ideas as to the V51s or V53/93s? Its been my impression that they were on Vector receivers, not Bailey's junk, and I've only heard good things about the V53's. I've got a V51 on order, but if Bailey is involved I'll pull it and have a JLD cut down by IGF or another reputable smith.
Old January 31, 2006, 10:20 AM   #5
Houndog

Shaggy, rest easy on the V51's and V53 it is my understanding that they are assembled by Vector. Also, from what I've seen on the various boards, most people are very happy with these models and there haven't been any quality or reliability problems.

As for the MP5/40 - there have been some rumors that Vector is going to start making these in house. So far, I think this is just speculation.

What is clear, though, is that Special Weapons will not be making any more of these guns (at least that's what they've said). My understanding is that they have stopped mfg. the 10mm and .357 version of these guns altogether, and are in the process of doing their final run of .40 guns.

Probably the best thing to do is call Vector.

BTW - if you want more info. you can go to HK54.com Look at the Cohaire Arms thread. (However, you also need to know that this Board is run by Todd, so info. can be a little biased.
Old February 4, 2006, 10:12 AM   #6
Axehole

Vector 10mm

I have one of the Vector MP5/10 and .40, my .40 was build by SW with one of there receivers (Cohair) and a de-milled MP5 40 and it has from day one been 100% semi and with my 4 pos registered sear. The 10 I got was one of the first ones and it jammed bad out of the box but I stopped by SW shop on the way to SAR show and Todd put a new ejector and fitted the lower a bit and the next 300 rounds ran 100%, until the BHO broke. But I sent it back to Vector and they installed the newest BHO. I haven't shot since I got it back but it is a fun shooter, noticeably more punch than 9mm, I would say a must have if your an MP5 nut. Vector has been great to deal with, they sent me a return label and called me the day they shipped it back. If you want one you need to call Vector and reserve one because there are dropping production due to lack of interest.I have one of the Vector MP5/10 and .40, my .40 was build by SW with one of there recievers (Cohair) and a demilled MP5 40 and it has from day one been 100% semi and with my 4 pos registered sear. The 10 I got was one of the first ones and it jammed bad out of the box but I stopped by SW shop on the way to SAR show and Todd put a new ejector and fitted the lower a bit and the next 300 rounds ran 100%, untill the BHO broke. But I sent it back to Vector and they installed the newest BHO. I haven't shot since I got it back but it is a fun shooter, noticabley more punch than 9mm, I would say a must have if your an MP5 nut. Vector has been great to deal with, they sent me a return label and called me the day they shipped it back. If you want one you need to call Vector and reserve one becuase there are dropping production due to lack of intrest.