The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Bolt, Lever, and Pump Action

Old January 10, 2013, 10:33 AM   #1
TheFineLine

For armed guard nite work; What kind of scope/dot/optic for a Rossi '92 .44 mag lever

For Christmas I bought my dad a Rossi 92 action lever with a 20 inch barrel chambered in 44 magnum. It's stainless with a nice cherry wood stock, he loves it (so do I . The action is very smooth. We are taking it out next week to put some rounds thru it. Very excited.

He does armed guard work at night protecting high end construction/mining equipment. They have a theft problem out there, and they also have a feral hog problem. Up till now he's been carrying a Remington 870 and any of a variety of handguns (he's got a great collection of those but not much in long guns). He has a S&W 629 in 44.mag that goes very well with the Rossi and is wanting to use those as his work setup. Anyhow, Dads getting up there in age and his eyesight isn't what it used to be. He may have to use the rifle in anything from very bright to very low light since the yard is lit up but there is nothing else around that area so outside of the lights its pitch black.

Although we haven't shot it yet I believe the '92 action ejects the round upwards. It is drilled and tapped for a mount right underneath the rear iron sight. Taking everything above into account I need some suggestions. The budget isn't that much of a concern. I'd like it to be <$1,000, but this is a duty weapon so if it's a bit over it's okay. Help me out guys. Thanks.
Old January 10, 2013, 10:37 AM   #2
Magnum Wheel Man

I'd be inclined to use fiber optic or Tritium boosted fiber optic sights over something needing a battery... with the yard lit, regular fiber optics should work, but he could try it at dark with the yards lights, & see if they light up enough ( even if he had any other gun with fiber optic sights, it would give him an idea, before buying something specific )

I'm assuming the rifle is top eject, the sights I recommended will work well with this design, otherwise if you are talking illuminated scope, you'd likely need side mounts, etc.

I have several Williams Fire Sights on several different guns, I'm partial to the ghost ring style, but a traditional rear fiber optic may work better in darker than hunting light ???
Old January 13, 2013, 01:30 AM   #3
johnwilliamson062

In Ohio a security guard can not use a rifle. I think that is noy uncommon, although Texas is likely different.
I would get something nice since he can write it off.
Old January 13, 2013, 11:24 AM   #4
pabuckslayer08

Id deck it out, attachable light, laser, and some sort of a fast sight. Not good for long shots but likely any shot he takes will be under 30 yards or so I would think
Old January 13, 2013, 11:44 AM   #5
DPris
Member Emeritus

Either leave it as is or get something that works better.
Sinking money into high-end optics & lasers (yuck) for a Rossi levergun will end up with a less efficient package that won't pay its way on the job.
Denis
Old January 13, 2013, 12:11 PM   #6
4V50 Gary
Staff

I like EOTech sights, but I doubt if it will fit well on a Rossi 92.

The trouble with laser that unless the critter is motionless, he'll have to be able to lead with it.
Old January 13, 2013, 01:16 PM   #7
DPris
Member Emeritus

Excellent point, they do require a stationary or at least advancing target.
And lasers also still require that you be able to see & identify a target, they don't work equally well in all lighting conditions.
Besides the customized/bastardized mounting system you'd need to have fabricated.
Denis
Old January 13, 2013, 02:17 PM   #8
Axelwik

A 1X red dot sight mounted forward of the receiver/ejection port would probably fit the bill. They have long eye relief and with no magnification he can keep both eyes open. The batteries last a long time.
Old January 13, 2013, 02:19 PM   #9
jackpine

aimpoint T-1 or a sparc dot if you need a budget option and a surefire light
Old January 13, 2013, 08:27 PM   #10
TheFineLine

Texas does have some regulations on handguns and shotguns for security guards but nothing on rifles. He has an AR and a shotty setup but he likes the new lever and wants to use it. Probably going the tube style dot with an offset light. Some good suggestions here, thanks guys!
Old January 13, 2013, 08:31 PM   #11
JN01

Trijicon RMR.
Old January 15, 2013, 03:08 PM   #12
bfoosh006

http://www.sportsmansguide.com/net/c...aspx?a=1003600

That scope mount is "offset" to the left hand side... so the cases can still eject. I am not familiar with that sight mount ...as to quality.

http://www.burrisoptics.com/fastfire.html

http://www.opticsplanet.com/reviews/...nny-mount.html

And, that Red Dot sight has worked well for me. I would suggest the "Fastfire III" version, as it has 3 "fixed" on settings and 1 "auto" setting. ( The auto setting is so-so ) and replacing the battery is much easier on the Fastfire III .

All in all you could be at about $300 worth of equipment. If it didn't work out, you only spent $27 on a iffy mount. The Burris could be used on darn near any other firearm.

If you have never used a Red Dot sight.... once you do, you will see the benefits immediately. It truly makes target acquisition faster.

Last edited by bfoosh006; January 15, 2013 at 03:22 PM.
Old January 18, 2013, 09:38 PM   #13
tomrkba

Aimpoint mini on an XS rail. The battery lasts a very, very long time. Quality iron sights are also good to have.
Old January 20, 2013, 05:53 PM   #14
ndking1126

A 3.5x35 ACOG is the best of all worlds unless you are talking really long range. I'm in the military and have used them downrange. I would take it over an Aimpoint, Eotech or regular scope for combat situations any day of the week. Low light (no battery), highlight, close or far, it's what you want. It's range estimation (which ever line is the same length as an average man's chest is what distance you are away from him) is quick and easy. The higher price, while hard for most people to afford, is easily justified with the performance of the optic.

I just can't see it on a lever action though...