The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old December 28, 2018, 10:41 AM   #1
Doc Holliday 1950

Need advice

My wife & I just purchased Ruger's 327 Fed in magnum 6 shot revolver for each other. I found out on the web about self defense ammo. My problem is suitable practice ammo,in 32 caliber, for our 327's. I do not reload.
As always, ALL answers &/or thoughts on this are welcome.

Doc
Old December 28, 2018, 10:49 AM   #2
ligonierbill

Midway has Prvi Partizan 32 S&W Long ammo for 39 cents a round. You may find it cheaper with a little searching. S&W Long is the way to go in any case, and it is often available in retail stores. Not exactly cheap, but very pleasant shooting. Enjoy!
Old December 28, 2018, 11:26 AM   #3
74A95

here are some better prices for the PPU load:

https://www.targetsportsusa.com/32-s...ammo-c-48.aspx
Old December 28, 2018, 03:26 PM   #4
AmmunitionDepot

Here is a link to some S&B ammo in the same ballpark. Congrats on the new guns! I hope you enjoy them.

https://www.ammunitiondepot.com/cata.../?unit_type=21
Old December 28, 2018, 09:13 PM   #5
Doc Holliday 1950

Great advice. I got the Sellier & Bellot, the PPU & the Magtech Wad Cutter & I feel much better about things now.
Has anyone ever used a 32Auto 71 grain FMJ like from Winchester before???

Doc
Old December 28, 2018, 11:50 PM   #6
tallball

I generally use 32 S&W long for practice ammo with my 32 magnum revolvers. S&B is sometimes available at our local Academy and works well for me.

Some of my 32 magnum revolvers will shoot 32acp and some won't. I even had two of the exact same make and model where one would shoot it just fine, and the other would only ignite every other round or so. If your revolvers will shoot it, there's no reason not to use it for practice. I had a couple hundred rounds of that Winchester stuff that my 32acp pistols just hated, so I shot it all out of revolvers. Theoretically it's probably not as accurate as 32 revolver rounds, but I'm not that great of a shot anyway.

Great choice on the his and hers, btw.
Old December 29, 2018, 08:28 PM   #7
rodfac

Doc, I don't own a .327 at this point, but do have a pair of Ruger Single Sixes in .32 H&R as well as S&W M-16. For those, I cast and load my own practice ammunition. Missouri Bullet Co. has some LSWC's at about 100 gr that would do nicely if you reload...I use a mid-level charge of either Win 231 or Unique for 1105 fps with my home cast 100 gr LSWC's. No leading and great accuracy at that speed. With Hornady's excellent 85 gr XTP, a similar charge gives me 1147 fps.

For my use, these 3 guns are handloading propositions only as I haven't bought factory ammunition for them in 15 years. I will say that the above loads are powder puffs in recoil and superbly accurate....possibly the most accurate of all my handguns. Groups run 1" to 1.5" and are no real challenge from a rested position on the 25 yd. line. That's all I can get with iron sights and 72 yo eyes.

While the .327 will have more muzzle blast, the recoil will be far more manageable than a similarly loaded .357. For carry purposes, the .32 H&R just doesn't impress me, but a well tuned .327 loaded towards the top end is an entirely different animal. I'd think that follow up shots would be far easier to handle than any bigger bore. Best of luck with your new revolvers.

Lastly, I have no experience with .32 ACP cartridges fired from a .32 or .327. I do know that .32 long will fire and is remarkably accurate from my .32 H&R's.

HTH's Rod
Cherish our flag, honor it, defend it in word and deed, or get the hell out. Our Bill of Rights has been paid for by heros in uniform and shall not be diluted by misguided governmental social experiments. We owe this to our children, anything less is cowardice. USAF FAC, 5th Spl Forces, Vietnam Vet '69-'73.

Last edited by rodfac; December 29, 2018 at 08:35 PM.
Old December 29, 2018, 08:36 PM   #8
JohnKSa
Staff

Here's an option:
https://www.sgammo.com/product/32-hr...er-ammo-c32hra

Another, much cheaper option:

https://www.sgammo.com/product/32-sw...izan-ammo-ppr3

Some brands of .32ACP may work in some .327Mag revolvers, but I wonder about the accuracy with such a long jump to the rifling.
Old December 29, 2018, 09:57 PM   #9
FITASC

Since you do not reload, I will ask why you purchased a gun that shoots ammo that is expensive and harder to find than 38?
"I believe that people have a right to decide their own destinies; people own themselves. I also believe that, in a democracy, government exists because (and only so long as) individual citizens give it a 'temporary license to exist'—in exchange for a promise that it will behave itself. In a democracy, you own the government—it doesn't own you."- Frank Zappa
Old December 30, 2018, 02:50 AM   #10
TruthTellers

Cheapest stuff you can shoot, or I should say might be able to shoot as it's dependent on what your individual gun can shoot, is .32 ACP. If your revolver can shoot .32 ACP, great, but even if it does, accuracy isn't a guarantee.

.32 S&W Long from either Magtech or PPU is the next cheapest ammo to shoot. It's built for revolvers, the results are a known quantity, you don't have to wonder if they'll go bang like .32 ACP may or may not.

One issue that you will likely find if you use lead bullets, which is what .32 S&W Long is generally loaded with, is those bullets are usually measuring .311-.3125" and the throats for the .327 revolvers Ruger makes are usually .313-.314", which means you will get leading in the bore because of hot gases blowing by and softening the bullet, which gets stripped off as it goes down the bore. This can also lead to bad accuracy even in a clean bore as the bullets don't seal the throat as they move into the forcing cone and that causes inconsistent powder burn from shot to shot.

Ruger makes their .327 revolvers in a way that they expect owners will only shoot .327 in the guns and because of the high velocity, jacketed bullets are mostly used. It really hurts the utility of a .327 revolver and it's a large reason that I've been turned off of the cartridge in recent months.

Don't bother looking for .32 H&R Mag, that stuff is even more expensive than Federal .327 American Eagle and harder to find too.

Now, when it comes to defense ammo, you're down to a few options. .32 ACP and S&W Long are non-starters, they're too weak to bother spending your money on when you can get more powerful H&R Mag and .327 Mag instead.

Hornady makes an affordable .32 H&R Mag load that I've not seen tested, but it's Critical Defense line and that stuff generally works well. It's loaded more on the moderate side, but Buffalo Bore is another option and they make the most powerful .32 H&R ammo on the market. They call it a +P load, but it's basically a max load .32 H&R that they say shouldn't be used in any of the original H&R manufactured revolvers from the 80s.

There's not much for .327 defense ammo, there is one Federal JHP I know of, Speer use to make some .327, but idk if they still do, Buffalo Bore does and if you want the hottest of defense ammo, they're it. Personally, with the .32 H&R load they make, I don't see the need to go with the .327 at all, especially if this is a gun for the wife. If she can't take much recoil, get the Hornady Critical Defense instead.
Old December 30, 2018, 02:55 AM   #11
TruthTellers

Quote:
Originally Posted by FITASC View Post
Since you do not reload, I will ask why you purchased a gun that shoots ammo that is expensive and harder to find than 38?
Lower recoil and 6 rounds obviously. That's the whole selling point to a .32 revolver.
Old December 30, 2018, 11:52 AM   #12
ViperR

I have a revolver in 327 and reload the 32 H&R for it along with 32 S&W Longs. I got my 32 S&W brass from ordering and shooting a lot of Fiocchi 97 gr FMJ's out of it from MidWay USA. Only $20.99 per 50 and being FMJ, they shoot clean and no leading, no smoke. And there is free shipping on orders over $49.
Old December 30, 2018, 12:13 PM   #13
FITASC

Quote:
Lower recoil and 6 rounds obviously. That's the whole selling point to a .32 revolver.
And ammo priced like .45 ACP, at least according to Ammoseek
"I believe that people have a right to decide their own destinies; people own themselves. I also believe that, in a democracy, government exists because (and only so long as) individual citizens give it a 'temporary license to exist'—in exchange for a promise that it will behave itself. In a democracy, you own the government—it doesn't own you."- Frank Zappa
Old December 30, 2018, 02:13 PM   #14
briandg

I'll be honest. I believe that you made a bit of a mistake in buying a boutique caliber. It requires commitment to that caliber including the commitment to costs involved.

I don't argue that it was a stupid choice, only that you've bought something that gives you a bit of a handicap. I personally like the idea of a .327.

I'm not going to tell you to start reloading, that's pointless. You already know whether or not you want to take on that tar baby.

I will suggest that you purchase an identical used pistol in either .38 special/357 magnum or .22 lr so you can go through thousands of rounds of practice and fun shooting with an identical frame. By the time you burn up 4,000 rounds of ammo you will have saved enough money to have made it worth the purchase.
Old December 30, 2018, 03:38 PM   #15
stinkeypete

I don't have a .32, but I lust for one.

Consider:
.32 Long is a lot more powerful than .22 Long Rifle, and a little .22 revolver isn't a joke.

.327 Fed Mag is a high pressure round and is gonna be loud in a mean cracking way that can and will injure your ears so bring your earmuffs.

32-20 used to be well known:
"She got a .38 special but I believe it's most too light
I got a 32-20, got to make the caps alright"

in general, 32 Long< 38 special<32-20 < 327 Fed Mag but lets face it, you are not a combat soldier or police officer and chances are the difference between any .32 caliber cartridge that goes "bang" will do the job will enough.

In case you have any interest in learning to reload, the straight wall little 327 brass loaded to comfortable 32 Long levels might be one of the easiest reloading tasks out there. If I did it, I would be happy using the most inexpensive gear out there. Fellas here can help you out if you want to try.

it's a very cool little gun. I want one.

Last edited by stinkeypete; December 30, 2018 at 03:44 PM.
Old December 30, 2018, 03:45 PM   #16
Doc Holliday 1950

No, I absolutely did not make a mistake. This purchase was well thought out. I've been trying to get my wife to be my shooting partner for years & she finally finally finally found the revolver she can handle, fits her hand perfectly & actually enjoys shooting the 327 in magnum. I asked her if I could shoot it & loaded it with 327 Federal Magnum 85 grain Hydra shok JHP ammo. She was using H&R 32 magnum ammo. I forgot. The GS had it on display& sold me her's for $445.00. Somebody had ordered it but changed their mind. Their lose our gain. Yes, it is a very cool little revolver that's a great self defense one.

The kick was very mild compared to my 357 in magnum ammo & my accuracy was excellent as was her accuracy. I'm not a collector just owner of three hand guns & we both really prefer revolvers, even though I like my 2 Glocks, this is our preferred carry.

As to cost to practice, I don't shoot hundreds of rounds of ammo anymore at the range. We go for maybe 1/2 hour and shoot, tops, up to 50 rounds Yes, money is important but to me a great revolver,especially to carry, far outweighs the higher operating cost. For SD the cost is worth it.

Doc
Old December 31, 2018, 02:32 PM   #17
ligonierbill

Robert Johnson notwithstanding, I find the 38 Special has the edge on the 32-20, though not by much. And I'm shooting both out of Colt's Official Police.

Don't ya love it when you ask for advice, and folks tell you what a foolish choice you made.
Old December 31, 2018, 03:03 PM   #18
Nathan

Sounds like you did great! Ammo will cost a bit, but you are not likely to shoot 100’s in a session!
Old December 31, 2018, 03:22 PM   #19
TruthTellers

I'm gonna go on a bit of a mini rant here before I head out to buy a mini Heineken keg for tonight about how any ammo not .22, .38, or 9mm is "expensive/costly/pricey."

If all ownership of handguns is based around the cheapest ammo, then there's no reason any revolver caliber over .357 to exist, no reason for .25 and .32 ACP to exist, no reason for .357 Sig or 10mm to exist. The reason they do is because they do things the .22's, 9mm's, .357 Mags, and .45 ACP can't do well.

The price of .32 revolver ammo isn't fair in comparison to what .38 or .357 costs, but it's not about price, it's about performance. Anyone can shoot a .32 well and the results when shot where it needs to be shot will do the job. There's a reason the .32 was chosen for NYC police when Teddy Roosevelt was the commish, it's because even new recruits, who probably had never shot a gun before, could pass training and be sent on patrol to stop pickpockets and armed robbers.

I'm not going to get into my issues with .327, I still think the cartridge is great, but the support for it and any other .32 handgun is pathetic by the industry. Basically, for best accuracy, you're stuck having to shoot jacketed bullets in .327. If you don't mind that, cool beans, but I like making my own cheap lead reloads and the .327's Ruger makes aren't copacetic.

For a self defense revolver one is likely to use at a max of 15 yards, nbd.
Old December 31, 2018, 03:31 PM   #20
ice monkey

Sweet handgun brother! I am envious... seriously envious.

I don’t know why others have to run down others choices like it’s some kind of an affront to them lol. I think the .327 is awesome. It’s on my shortlist!

Happy shooting with the wife!
Old December 31, 2018, 03:53 PM   #21
dgludwig

Quote:
If all ownership of handguns is based around the cheapest ammo, then there's no reason any revolver caliber over .357 to exist, no reason for .25 and .32 ACP to exist, no reason for .357 Sig or 10mm to exist. The reason they do is because they do things the .22's, 9mm's, .357 Mags, and .45 ACP can't do well.
Great observation, TruthTellers.
Old December 31, 2018, 04:10 PM   #22
Carmady

Quote:
Robert Johnson notwithstanding,
He thought his Sweet Home Chicago was in California.
Old December 31, 2018, 05:53 PM   #23
ViperR

Something else to think about with an "off" caliber. When there is a rush to buy ammo again, the sold out ones will be the popular ones. Finding anything in 32 cal will have more on the shelves. Just remember the last ammo frenzy.
Old December 31, 2018, 05:57 PM   #24
TruthTellers

Quote:
Originally Posted by ViperR View Post
Something else to think about with an "off" caliber. When there is a rush to buy ammo again, the sold out ones will be the popular ones. Finding anything in 32 cal will have more on the shelves. Just remember the last ammo frenzy.
One of the few reasons I have a couple .40 cal guns.
Old December 31, 2018, 06:38 PM   #25
reddog81

Quote:
Originally Posted by ViperR View Post
However once the off caliber rounds disappear they stay disappeared for a much longer time because the ammo companies are busy producing the common stuff that everyone is hoarding.

I've seriously considered getting one of the GP100's in .327 but everything about the caliber is inconvenient. As a reloader and caster it should be easy to justify the purchase however it's not just the loaded ammo that's hard to find. Bullets, bullet molds and even load data is sparse. The industry does a much better job supporting .38/.357.