The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: General Handgun Forum

Closed Thread

Old March 3, 2018, 11:52 PM   #26
Prof Young

No, seriously boring guns . . .

No. 22 are seriously boring guns. All nine of mine are boring, boring, boring.
My Ruger 22/45 is boring.
My Henry Lever action is boring.
My Stevens bolt action with scope is boring.
My Mossberg Plinkster with scope is boring.
The kids Cricket is boring.
My PT -22 is boring.
My Buckmark Contour is boring.
My Heritage single six is boring.
My Ruger 10/22 is way boring.
And . . .
I have almost 8000 rounds of boring in my ammo cabinet.

Life is good.
Prof Young
Old March 4, 2018, 12:38 AM   #27
BigJimP

.22 is not my favorite caliber in a semi auto or a revolver....that would be a 9mm in 1911's and .357 mag in N frame S&W revolvers...( or K, L frames too )..

I think .22 is a little boring too...so mostly I use mine ( model 617 and 18 s&w revolvers, a conversion kit for a 1911...and a tricked out browning buckmark by tactical solutions barrel, rail, red dot, etc...../ the buckmark gets a lot of use by young grandkids...

But yes, if you don't have a good one...you should pick one up.
Old March 4, 2018, 01:26 AM   #28
JoeSixpack

22's are absolutely fun to shoot.
And they use to be a lot cheaper to shoot years ago.. ammo has went up, it's come back down but still a lot higher than it use to be.

Everyone should have a 22 handgun and 22 rifle.

Nearly no recoil, quiet (for a unsuppressed firearm), still one of the cheapest calibers.
Old March 4, 2018, 01:57 AM   #29
Mike38

Quote:
Hitting target dead-center each and every time you pull the trigger.
Well, I think I know what you mean, but, to not let the beginners get confused...

A perfect score in the rimfire portion of a Precision Pistol Match would be 900-90x. No one, in the 114 year history has accomplished such a feat.
Old March 4, 2018, 05:39 AM   #30
mrdaputer

Nope no fun at all I use the 20k 22's I have on hand for decorations. Like decorating targets or fruit and stuff
Old March 4, 2018, 05:56 AM   #31
Carl the Floor Walker

22.cals are more than just fun. I personally view them as a necessary tool for training. Most especially for the Point and shoot training that I have done for decades. I rarely shoot target style. The 22.cal are a huge benefit for quick eye muscles, hand/arm to target acquisition.
Most especially with the small barrel guns that I carry every day. I also shoot a lot of BB/Pellet Pistols.
When the ammo shortage hit, I really hit the BB/Pellet guns. Shot thousands or rounds of ammo. I have a nice range with all kinds of target in the backyard. Fast shooting, and drawing. Throwing a Can in the air and quickly hitting it etc.
After the ammo shortage I came back and shot better than I ever had with my Powder burners. TRAIN THOSE RELFEX'S AND EYE MUSCLES!
Old March 4, 2018, 06:58 AM   #32
Spats McGee
Staff

Are .22s fun? Every day of the week and twice on Sundays!
Old March 4, 2018, 07:29 AM   #33
darkgael

Another vote for Yes. Great fun.
At the risk of derailing the main idea.....22s boring? Well, whatever floats your boat but
“boring” I really and truly do not understand. What would make a gun boring? The idea that any gun could be boring just does not compute for me.
Maybe in another thread?
Old March 4, 2018, 10:32 AM   #34
lockedcj7

Quote:
Originally Posted by lockedcj7 View Post
The only thing more fun than a .22 is a suppressed .22.
Quote:
Why?
They are often more accurate than unsuppressed and they are truly hearing-safe with subsonic ammo. Plus, I can plink all day without anyone in the house even realizing it, much less being annoyed.
Old March 4, 2018, 01:26 PM   #35
fredvon4

Humm.... I would love to own a suppressor for my only threaded barrel 22/45 Ruger lite

BUT the wait and cost... and the fun I have..... forced me to just buy another 22 Pistol for cheap... a Ruger MKIII the owner only fired one mag in and had such a hard time with the tear down he immediately traded it away... grin...... mine for $150

I am currently searching around for all the bits to "build" a 10/22 rifle cheaply for the Exceedingly cheap ($30) 18" barrel I have in the closet

I have about 2 dozen various caliber rifles and hand guns... but for day to day fun...I poke a LOT of 22 ammo out of a variety of barrels... most always a grin...that is util I finally deplete some of the more DIRTY ammo... then a PITA for cleaning
Old March 4, 2018, 01:36 PM   #36
Ricklin

Wishlist

A suppressor is next on the list to add to the most fun to shoot .22.

No coincidence that the most represented caliber in my accumulation (not collection) is the .22

2 pistols, and one revolver on the handgun side.

A 10/22 and a Walther G22 on the long gun side. Love the G22 other than the cruddy trigger. It seems perfect to host a suppressor thanks to the bullpup design and the raised off the bore sights and scope.
My G22 is a tack driver. Hard to beat it's short length with the 20" barrel.
The 10-22 is one of the full stock models, I bought it for my bride, who then insisted on a scope it's such a sweet trim little thing, but hey peace at home is a good thing.

I do love me some .22's
Old March 4, 2018, 01:39 PM   #37
Onward Allusion

All guns are fun to shoot. It's a matter of degrees. I used to enjoy 22LR but the last 2 ammo shortages got me shooting 9 & 40 and never really went back to 22LR. The only time I like 22LR is when I'm using one of my 10/22's to cut down targets like 2x4's, and I do mean cut down. It's a blast sawing a 2x4 down with gunfire.

If 9mm got down to 0.10 a round, I'd probably never shoot 22LR again.
Old March 4, 2018, 01:45 PM   #38
Ricklin

American 180

I have always had a powerful desire for an American 180.
It's the only full auto that I can (barely) afford to feed. Or at least I'd like to think so.
I suppose it does not have to be an American 180, I just don't see any other full auto options in .22 caliber. Full auto AR15 lower could be an option as well.

Ahh, just dreams. Too darn much money. Have seen some crank fired 10-22's like two of em side by side that do look like fun.
Old March 4, 2018, 01:47 PM   #39
SIGSHR

A 22 is how I learned to shoot-and many others as well. And I don't feel guilty about discarding the the brass.
Old March 5, 2018, 12:26 PM   #40
kenny53

22 is fun. It is more fun when chasing cans across the ground (pick up trash when done). If I go to the range to shoot carry guns or large bore rifles there is always a couple of 22's with me. Just plain fun. I will admit during the 22 shortage I shot just as much. I had a stockpile just in case. I still have a stockpile just in case. 22 is getting cheaper I would suggest buying it and stocking it deep.
Old March 5, 2018, 12:34 PM   #41
CajunBass

I don't care for shooting a 22 at a range as much as I do just plinking with one at cans, pine cones and such. Shoot, I'm old enough to remember when we shot glass bottles and such with them, and didn't think anything about it.

That doesn't mean they're not much fun to shoot at a range. Just not as much fun.
John 3:16 (NKJV)
Old March 5, 2018, 01:26 PM   #42
briandg

Mister cane, in a word, yes. You can use BB or pellet guns, but they lack the excitement of an actual firearm. they go 'pop'.

you can bore yourself to death with one, or create a challenge. It's best if you make things fun, but not too simple. Even my cat can hit the litter box most of the time, would it be interesting to just shoot holes in a metal bucket at twenty feet and never miss?

The reason that a suppressed .22 is more fun to some people is that they are practically silent under some situations. When hunting, they don't disturb game. A friend sometimes baits starlings to the area around his rural home, he has a suppressed .22 rifle that he pops them off with. Sometimes they don't even jump from the pile of seed and he keeps on shooting.
Old March 5, 2018, 02:27 PM   #43
murrayj70

I love shooting my 22's and I'm 48 years old. These guns are perfect for general plinking at steel targets or just cans. They are great for grand kids. They are also great for hunting small game. As cheap to shoot as can be. I say you should get a least one 22 for your home you'll always have a place for it.
Old March 5, 2018, 03:57 PM   #44
fredvon4

Very poor timing

My LGS had some semi commercial 4 Ruger 10/22 barrel and action Aluminum contraption and rotating trigger to make a quasi Gattling gun.... low low cost of $900...YOU BUY the 4 Ruger 10/22s.....

Poor timing???....eat ammo machine was on display early Obama and the store had ZERO 22 ammo for sale at any price

still want one but too damned cheap
Old March 5, 2018, 04:10 PM   #45
gwpercle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricklin View Post
Are girls soft, and smell good? Is coffee good in the morning? Is color TV better than black and white?
The only thing more fun than a 22 is a soft good smelling girl who enjoys kissing you.
Old March 5, 2018, 04:23 PM   #46
tennsooner

I love my 22's. I shot rifles for years and only started shooting pistols in the last five years. I can't tell you just how much shooting a 22 pistol helped me learn to shoot my 9mm and .45 better. I Have two High Standard Victors and a Smith 41 the only time they get boring is when you set back at 15 yards and shoot them thru the same hole.
Old March 5, 2018, 08:17 PM   #47
GarandTd

My next purchase is gonna be another 22lr. I'm planning to roll my Remington rebate into a S&W M&P 22 compact. It'll be the 3rd 22 in my collection. I'll need 1 more pistol and 2 more 22 rifles to ensure that each of my kids will have 1 rifle and 1 pistol in 22 caliber after I leave this world. Hopefully with some fond memories attached.
Old March 5, 2018, 08:47 PM   #48
jrothWA

Ityou haven't tried them, you don't know what you are

MISSING!

Get one and enjoy!
Old March 5, 2018, 10:29 PM   #49
Obambulate

K-frame S&W Model 17 for targets and an 8-shot stainless J-frame Model 63 for general usage. No need for a suppressor, just get a brick of Colibri ammo (20gr, primer-only, 420 fps) or Super Colibri (590 fps) and plink away quietly on the cheap.
Old March 6, 2018, 12:35 AM   #50
Cosmodragoon

Quote:
Are girls soft, and smell good? Is coffee good in the morning? Is color TV better than black and white?
The answer for this and the original topic question is "not always but most of the time, yes".

There are some lower-quality or less-than-reliable .22 pistols out there. The double-action trigger pull can be rougher with rimfire. Those two issues can run concurrently in some guns. So do yourself a favor. Find a pretty girl in good health, decent beans you can grind at home, the better shows from any given era, and a high-quality rimfire pistol.

Quote:
The only thing more fun than a 22 is a soft good smelling girl who enjoys kissing you.
The real trick is finding a soft, good-smelling girl who enjoys kissing you and shooting with you.
Closed Thread